collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Identify vague childhood pony?  (Read 2070 times)

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
Identify vague childhood pony?
« on: May 09, 2019, 11:33:42 AM »
I don't remember many ponies from childhood, as I geuinely wasn't very into them (plesae don't set me on fire just yet!). I have identified Pony Bride, a Big Sister, but there is a vague one eluding me.

I THINK she was orange, like an obnoxious colour of it, with bright yellow hair and TINSEL. I thought she might have been a baby but this seems false, and had a planet-themed mark? I saw that I thought was the right mark but it doesn't seem like the pony.

Any ideas?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
Re: Identify vague childhood pony?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 12:03:38 PM »
Was it one of the Baby Sparkle Ponies like Baby Starflower?  http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Category:Sparkle_Ponies#Baby_Sparkle_Ponies

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 12:18:26 PM »
Was it possibly Baby Stella?

She's a "Starlight Baby" pony, which I believe were the Euro versions of the Baby Sparkle ponies.

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Category:Starlight_Baby_Ponies

https://www.ponylandpress.com/europe/uk/starlight.shtml
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 12:24:10 PM by Pokeyonekenobie »

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 01:02:28 PM »
Was it possibly Baby Stella?

She's a "Starlight Baby" pony, which I believe were the Euro versions of the Baby Sparkle ponies.

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Category:Starlight_Baby_Ponies

https://www.ponylandpress.com/europe/uk/starlight.shtml

THATS HER!! Thank you so much! I KNEW it was a baby, but I couldn't pin it!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 02:03:37 PM »
The one you saw that had the right mark but wasn't the right pony was likely Baby Starflower.

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 03:43:09 PM »
Strangely not! I did encounter this pony as well, but there was another pony with a planet mark that looked really familiar; I probably remember this pony from a missing pony, but not the one I personally had. I knew I never owned any sparkle-ponies that I personally remember

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 06:34:05 PM »
Maybe Sunspot?
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 10:02:39 PM »
Strangely not! I did encounter this pony as well, but there was another pony with a planet mark that looked really familiar; I probably remember this pony from a missing pony, but not the one I personally had. I knew I never owned any sparkle-ponies that I personally remember

The orange sparkle baby wasn't sold in the UK or Europe.

I'm not a fan of calling the Starlight Babies "European versions" of the Sparkle Babies. "Relatives" is better :)

There are others in the set which have this kind of symbol but none of them are orange. However for some reason Stella and Night Song often get name swapped (Hasbro seems to have been undecided on which was which, although the comic denoted the orange one Stella which is why we do).

This is Night Song (also known as Stella). She has planets and she comes from the same set. She's completely different colours, but I wonder if the name switch and the planets may be what's inspiring you.

Although now I think of it, her closest relative in the US set is also orange, because for some reason Hasbro liked orange sparklies. So maybe you saw this one too...

Glad you figured out who your childhood pony was :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 10:44:14 AM »
I'm not a fan of calling the Starlight Babies "European versions" of the Sparkle Babies. "Relatives" is better :)

I always see the Sparkle Babies as cheap-looking versions of the Starlight Babies (who were my childhood ponies). :P

He knows that they're the fool...

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 01:40:28 PM »

I always see the Sparkle Babies as cheap-looking versions of the Starlight Babies (who were my childhood ponies). :P

I see what you mean with this.

I personally see them as separate sets, I always will. I also hate that people take the approach that anything not sold in the US is automatically a subordinate/variant/alternate/non-version of the US set.

This one particularly, though, because it's such a poorly thought through set in the US release. There's no original names in the set name or pony names.
They don't have an original gimmick.
They don't even have tinselled hair like the adult sparkles.
Orange is overused - why not blue or green or something else if white is hard to glitter?

The Starlights at least have some originality going for them. They have rainbow tinsel (most of the time, some have just gold), which is unique among the baby G1s except Princess Sparkle. They are all different colours from one another. They all have original names, as is the set name. And they also are weird and shiny (I wish they had made them pearly, but the weird PVA glue type shiny is again unique to this set). So they have all the original design points ticked, yet they're seen as the alt versions of the thrown-together lazy US set for some reason I don't really understand.

In any case, there are also so many complexities with the Starlights in terms of variations (three possible manufacturing locations, multiple possible tinsel and hair variations on top of that). They don't need to be being compared to a vaguely similar US set when they have a ton of their own internal  comparisons re "variant" and "alternate" versions.

I don't hate the Sparkle babies and the one thing they did well was the purplish shade for Firefly, which I wish they'd used for Mischief. But the fact they didn't also means two of the four ponies are completely different colours as well...making them yet more distinct.

If sharing a symbol made one pony a variant of another pony, Peachy and Snuzzle would be alternates ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 02:14:13 PM »
This thread is kinda making me regret just selling my Baby Stella. She's such an adorable pony

Online Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 03:12:22 PM »

I see what you mean with this.

I personally see them as separate sets, I always will. I also hate that people take the approach that anything not sold in the US is automatically a subordinate/variant/alternate/non-version of the US set.

This one particularly, though, because it's such a poorly thought through set in the US release. There's no original names in the set name or pony names.
They don't have an original gimmick.
They don't even have tinselled hair like the adult sparkles.
Orange is overused - why not blue or green or something else if white is hard to glitter?

The Starlights at least have some originality going for them. They have rainbow tinsel (most of the time, some have just gold), which is unique among the baby G1s except Princess Sparkle. They are all different colours from one another. They all have original names, as is the set name. And they also are weird and shiny (I wish they had made them pearly, but the weird PVA glue type shiny is again unique to this set). So they have all the original design points ticked, yet they're seen as the alt versions of the thrown-together lazy US set for some reason I don't really understand.

In any case, there are also so many complexities with the Starlights in terms of variations (three possible manufacturing locations, multiple possible tinsel and hair variations on top of that). They don't need to be being compared to a vaguely similar US set when they have a ton of their own internal  comparisons re "variant" and "alternate" versions.

I don't hate the Sparkle babies and the one thing they did well was the purplish shade for Firefly, which I wish they'd used for Mischief. But the fact they didn't also means two of the four ponies are completely different colours as well...making them yet more distinct.

If sharing a symbol made one pony a variant of another pony, Peachy and Snuzzle would be alternates ;)

I think some of the confusion may come from the Dream Valley site as I remember the Starlight babies being listed as "European variants" on there.

I also see them as separate sets. :) I feel like Hasbro just pulled random names out of the hat for them as only 2 make sense to me (Starflower and NorthStar)

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 03:32:01 PM »
Probably. DV is responsible for most of the ongoing myths and mislabels that still plague the international pony releases. Starting with them being segregated from the US releases and going on from there.

You'd think in 20 years we'd have moved on, but nope...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 11:01:00 AM »
I think I'd call these two sets "counterparts", personally. Related but still two seperate sets.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 01:54:49 PM »
I think I'd call these two sets "counterparts", personally. Related but still two seperate sets.

That's a nice way of putting it. They are definitely connected, but one is not a variant of the other, they're just from a common source. Counterparts does sum that up quite nicely :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal