collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 - streaks on the outside/inside of manes/display side or other?  (Read 4479 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
So this is a bit of a strange question.

I was looking at Gator's awesome recent brag and it made me think of something.

My Sunburst for the whole of my childhood has insisted on his streak falling under the rest of his mane (which I am sure is not right, but he's always done it, no matter what I try). And it got me wondering whether this is something some ponies just have, or did I do something to him as a child to make this always the case?

My Ice Crystal also has the same feature. His mane always falls over to cover the streak (although he was second hand). The other four (including my 2 other childhood ponies) have well behaved normal streaks on the top of their mane as you would expect. ><

Does it happen with the Big Brother pony set as well? Looking at my photos it looks like my Trucker/4Speed might have the same feature as well, but it's hard to see because he has his hat on :/

Is it a straight hair pony thing?

I also ask because I know that Tutti Frutti at least has a variation in her streak - in the UK it's on the top of a mane that falls on the non-display side and in Europe it's on the top of a mane that falls on the display side. And while I don't think there are MB variants beyond the THai ones (let's hope not!), I know there are some Big Brother ones...pat pending and all.

So...I guess I just wondered if Hasbro had a streak plan or if this was just random nonsense in their production.

Since streaks started off quite standard with the unicorns, and those are always rooted separately on top of the mane, in my view they should always be on the top...?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: G1 - streaks on the outside/inside of manes/display side or other?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 02:12:35 PM »
I also think mane streaks should be at the top. :) I just looked at my Ice Crystal and his streak falls over his mane. I even checked a picture his original owner sent me with their Mountain Boys and his streak falls over his mane but Sunburst’s mane falls over his streak in the same picture.

My Quarterback/Score is hiding from me at the moment but he has curly hair. Are you asking about only ponies with straight hair?

This is off topic but I looked up pictures of Quarterback/Score and his back card mentions baby flutter ponies. :) I didn’t realize they were ever ofically mentioned.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 02:42:53 PM »
My Sunburst came to me second-hand. His mane was on top of his streak when he arrived.

He has a pen mark on his neck (only way I could afford him). When he had a spa day I tried training his mane over the other way to hide the mark and put the streak on top. It has stayed over very easily and naturally so perhaps he can wear it both ways round?

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 02:54:11 PM »
Now I have to go check all my boys.  I'm curious too now!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 03:34:50 PM »
No mountain boys, but I do have BB. My Steamer has hair that falls on his left side, with the streak on top, same with the Tex. I believe I got Steamer from the original owner? Or he was at least nondisturbed for many years. Neither of them have their streaks rooted separately though, just a designated hair chunk in their original plugs.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 03:39:40 PM »
Maybe my boys just have an attitude problem...

I don't have them at hand but taking site photos some years ago to show the streak was tough...especially on Sunburst.

@Ponyfan curly ponies are ok too ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 03:57:25 PM »
Having the streak on the underside of the mane is common in male ponies IME. Of the Brothers I have on hand: Salty, Tracks/Steamer/Casey/whatsisface, and even Baby Sweet Celebration have their stripes on the underside of their manes. (Although I've restyled the manes on Salty and BBSC to fall to their other side, so their stripes are on top now as god intended. :P) Only my Tex has his stripe on top naturally. There doesn't seem to be any pattern I can discern regarding straight/curly hair, but I have a limited sample size. ;) I have a bait Barnacle here too, but he's practically a Perfume Puff, so he's no help. :lol:

My Steamer has hair that falls on his left side, with the streak on top, same with the Tex.

Wait, what?... :blink: Both my Steamers have hair that fall to their left also, but both their streaks are on the bottom. My Tex has hair that falls to his right, but his stripe is also on top. Madness! :lol: Unless you mean their hair falls to the left (i.e. your left, as you're facing them) and not on his left (i.e. from the pony's perspective)?

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 07:46:32 PM »
i use to think it was just a UK pony thing as my UK Tutti Fruity had the same thing, it use to bug the heck out of me and i would try and style it the other side but it just wouldn't take :lol:

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 11:41:37 PM »
This has happened to various ponies of mine, not just the BB's (no Mountain Boys here - sob - ). With great powers of persuasion I train the hair over on to the 'correct' side. Streaks Must Go On Top. Or at least they must in my house.

My Tutti Frutti was similarly stubborn shabbychicdee, maybe it is a Thing for her too?

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 01:14:12 AM »
It really does appear to be a thing. My custom nbbe gusty has it and my twilight and tex but my rainbow ponies (both wave 1 and 2) have no issues with that.

I usually try and hot boil wash it into place because I want to display their beautiful colours.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 02:22:55 AM »
Tutti Frutti is a kind of exception as I mentioned because Hasbro had a spasm when they released her. Lemme find the image to show what I mean...

That one shows it best. European on the left and UK on the right. For some reason Hasbro rooted them differently depending on where they were sold. And UK Tutti Frutti's mane is meant to fall on her non-display side I guess, because that's where the streak is.

Mint in Box Tutti Fruttis from the UK have the hair on the nds as well, and European ones have it on the ds, so it's meant to be that way. But I imagine a lot of kids maybe put it in a band or whatever, and it ended up sometimes falling on the neck side. Hence the streak gets lost.

Perhaps the opposite happens with the European one as well.

It's such a weird variation to have, but eh ;)

I'm looking at my photo of my Tracks/Steamer alongside my sister's. Unfortunately hers is wearing the hat and mine the image isn't great but they're definitely not the same...

And the streak rooting doesn't look the same either, although from that I can't tell if both are on top, underneath, or one of each.

The MOC image (also from the UK actually, not my image though) on my site of Trucker MOC also doesn't seem to show his streak, which would suggest he is an "under" type...

I think this may be to do with how Hasbro packaged them as well, although with turned head ponies the package alone can't be to blame...

With my Mountain Boys, this kind of illustrates the problem I had with Sunburst and Ice Crystal to get their streak to show in photos, but both seem to have it as an extra line of hair, just not on the right side..?

Again, I've had Sunburst since 1987 and I have tried lots of things to make his hair show his streak over the years. And as you can see...nope. Not happening. So now I've about given up :/
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 02:25:54 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Baby Crumpet

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Never too many Tex's!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2019, 05:06:51 AM »
My Tex and Tug both have their streak showing quite nicely, as does my Thundercloud.

My Sunburst doesn't though - is it just a Sunburst thing? No matter what I do his streak won't show either... I too have given up and left him as is.

I think those are all the boys with streaks I own - Sunburst is the only outlier! :P

:glitter: Thank you to Nence and starrynights for my signature and Trinity for my avatar :glitter:
Wishlist

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2019, 05:57:35 AM »
BBE Baby Gusty is a great example, her hair just doesn't want to sit right to display her lovely streak.
Boys like to have wild hair, yeah, that explains it....

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 07:56:56 AM »
BBE Baby Gusty is a great example, her hair just doesn't want to sit right to display her lovely streak.
Boys like to have wild hair, yeah, that explains it....

Oh, BBE unicorns - Ribbon and Gusty both - SO guilty of this. I had forgotten them till you guys mentioned, but it's really hard to get pictures of them with the streaks visible as well...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 01:31:25 PM »
My Steamer has hair that falls on his left side, with the streak on top, same with the Tex.
Wait, what?... :blink: Both my Steamers have hair that fall to their left also, but both their streaks are on the bottom. My Tex has hair that falls to his right, but his stripe is also on top. Madness! :lol: Unless you mean their hair falls to the left (i.e. your left, as you're facing them) and not on his left (i.e. from the pony's perspective)?
Nah, the pony's left. I will say that Tex's hair is starting to spring up, but STREAKS go on TOP in this house!!

Sig by Starscout <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal