collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: which to use for customs: cheap baits or expensive retro ponies?  (Read 5780 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: which to use for customs: cheap baits or expensive retro ponies?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2019, 06:38:50 AM »
@Moonbreeze - just saw your comment - as far as I know the UK are intending to do EU elections which means unless parliament agree something - which I imagine you'd hear about - Brexit day is currently Hallowe'en. Plenty of time still to buy ponies without import duty :)

I did notice the unicorn pegasus set on preorder on amazon are preorder for mainland only but hopefully that will change once they're actually in stock...I think Smyths are also meant to get those and they are the cheapest place I've seen retros - I think they're an Irish company? Dont know if they ship internationally but they were stocking the CP ponies at £8.99.

I still can't believe how expensive the retros are in some European countries :/ compared to $10 in the US, €20ish (what's that, around $23? $25?) is obscene.

I think it's great to see that so many people engage with the bigger impact of customising now than did in the past. But the retros do help in that regard.

I don't see how the retro ones help people like me that have no transportation to stores that sell them. Even if I did they probably won't have them.

Sorry, I didn't refresh the thread so I didn't see your post before I posted. I was talking to Moonbreeze because I saw her Brexit comment belatedly. I wasn't trying to make a dig - I was genuinely impressed that so many people were responding with thoughts about the bigger picture.

But this is Kingluke's thread, so maybe that topic is in the wrong place. And honestly, nobody's tried to make you do anything. Suggestions are only that - at the end of the day, you have to make your own decision. But I do agree with banditpony - if you don't want other opinions, then it seems odd to ask the question.

@Kingluke, ultimately the choice of what you do with your baits or ponies is yours as well, you have to decide if you think a pony is bad enough to bait. I understand that where you're located it's a lot harder to obtain baits or retro bases than if you were in the US, but I'm sure there are others in your region who might be able to help you out with trades so you don't have to shell out extra money to import things.

I wish you luck with your quest :D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 06:40:48 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2019, 06:42:01 AM »
Well considering I have zero amount of money....I offered to trade this for a bait. Because I can't afford anything on Ebay. But no one seems interested.

Then sell your Bubbles first. Then buy a bait. Or just put it off until you can get money. $9 isn't a lot of money... so you might wanna evaluate buying things if you can't afford that.  Trading was going to cost $4 or so in shipping anyway.

Just a fyi my husband will pay shipping but I don't work and can't work. Therefore have no income and will never have the money to buy a bait.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2019, 06:45:13 AM »

For me a pony in wrecked condition - ink marks, missing parts (not just a tail, but like, ears, etc), and no hair - is bait. Now, if that pony is Nightlight, someone is more likely to try and restore her than if she's Cherries Jubilee, and I think that's ok too. But a tailless Tootsie isn't bait, and expecting people to import bait versions of ponies not sold there when there's a hairless, symbolless, scribbled Honeycomb or Baby Bow Tie right there in their back yard...is unreasonable.

I don't agree with customisation of good condition or fair condition ponies. Fair condition for me is some small marks that a skilled person might remove, some symbol scuffs, pindot, a forelock snip...a loss of curl, some tangle or frizz. Those aren't bait flaws. But if the pony is utterly wrecked, then it's fair game to me.

And completely bald ponies can be rehaired with alternate colours to look very striking.

I agree with Taffeta. A pony that's only missing a tail or has other minor issues  isn't a bait pony. Getting another tail usually isn't too difficult. I also agree with Taffeta that different ponies might be considered bait material in different countries.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2019, 06:56:16 AM »
Well considering I have zero amount of money....I offered to trade this for a bait. Because I can't afford anything on Ebay. But no one seems interested.

Then sell your Bubbles first. Then buy a bait. Or just put it off until you can get money. $9 isn't a lot of money... so you might wanna evaluate buying things if you can't afford that.  Trading was going to cost $4 or so in shipping anyway.

Just a fyi my husband will pay shipping but I don't work and can't work. Therefore have no income and will never have the money to buy a bait.

You seem to ignore my suggestion of making money off of your Bubbles to fund money for a cheap bait. In fact it probably would net you $0 cost (or maybe $1-2), unlike trading which would cost $4-5 because of shipping.

As far as pony collecting goes -- you are very lucky to live in the US, where you do have access to ebay / facebook /etc where you can pay cheaper shipping compared to international shipping.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 06:58:49 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2019, 07:02:12 AM »

As far as pony collecting goes -- you are very lucky to live in the US, where you do have access to ebay / facebook /etc where you can pay cheaper shipping compared to international shipping.

This is very true - but in the interests of absolute fairness, that's just one of those facts of life xD. And if someone has always lived in the US, and never buys from abroad, they don't really get the perspective of how much more it costs to buy the same items when you live overseas.

The US is an amazing market for pony stuff, and so many ponies were sold there that it would be a great place to be a collector. That's why I think there needs to be more acceptance of baiting really wrecked non-US ponies.

Although I would like to hope that someone would use their head before baiting a South African pony (><) since even with no hair apparently someone will pay a fortune for it ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2019, 07:04:20 AM »
I suggest the blank HQG1Cs. They even have several different poses. :)

Post Merge: May 05, 2019, 07:07:18 AM

¥
Honestly people have tried to talk me out of customizing my sitting Bubbles and do the repro. But I can't find one and the person i messaged to trade a bait hasn't replied. My opinion is it's my property I will do what I want with it and if i offend someone too bad so sad. The G1 ponies won't last forever anyway. Hell I have no kids my whole collection might end up in a landfill when I die.
Don't make a thread asking "Should I.." and then say people were "trying to talk you out of it".

Again, I'm in the mentality that to each their own.. HOWEVER, I think all avenues need to be figured out first before doing it especially if a pony is still in good condition.

Well no one's givin me a viable option.  The only option I've had given to me are the retro ponies which I don't have access to.

Target delivers stuff.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 07:09:21 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline gemini_pony

• Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2019, 07:13:01 AM »
I still can't afford one.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2019, 07:21:29 AM »
Originally (in the 90s) customizing came about as a way to get rid of cheap ponies or ones you had doubles of.  But those were the days when G1 ponies were abundant at thrift stores and garage sales.  I don't think "Common pony?  Duplicate pony? Bait it!" is going to serve the MLP community well in the long run.  (And I don't think it was a good idea in 1997 either . . . I'm not pointing fingers because I was on board the "cheap pony, just bait it" train too, but in hindsight . . . yikes.)

A $10 base for a custom project is really not expensive.  It's the price of two Starbucks drinks.  And if you're buying it locally, you don't have to pay shipping on it--unlike a bait pony from the internet. 

We should be thanking the heavens that we currently have such potential custom bases.  I have a friend who customizes ball-jointed dolls and the base for those can cost hundreds.

I'm not saying "never use an 80s pony for a custom ever" because I have seen some ponies that were genuinely so nasty that I cannot imagine anyone wanting them in their collection in their native state.  But if it's something like "Has a haircut!" . . . ehhhhh . . . at the very least I would hope people would leave the body alone and just give it custom hair colors.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 10:59:49 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2019, 07:36:45 AM »
Originally (in the 90s) customizing came about as a way to get rid of cheap ponies.  But those were the days when G1 ponies were abundant at thrift stores and garage sales or ones you had doubles of.  But I don't think "Common pony?  Duplicate pony? Bait it!" is going to serve the MLP community well in the long run.  (And I don't think it was a good idea in 1997 either . . . I'm not pointing fingers because I was on board the "cheap pony, just bait it" train too, but in hindsight . . . yikes.)

Yep.

Just.

Yep.

Also, I have some rather concerning memories of spray painting ponies in black and silver as an experiment...wonder what became of those o.O.

(They were actually baity ponies, but still...long term paint on old plastic is not a great combination. Hopefully they're not in a box somewhere congealing onto other things O.O).

Basically "my property, my business" is technically sound but from a community perspective is less and less tenable. The rarer ponies become and the more they start to cost, the bigger the impact of taking anything out of the community permanently becomes clear. So it's that balance between sovereign ownership and community interest I think. Now there are retros, the availability of alternatives is also not so much of an issue (especially in the US, where they are, let's face it, more available and cheaper than anywhere else in the world). And now we have the internet at the level we do, buying online is much easier and safer than it was in the 90s, when we were still shoving cash in fakies.

As time goes on, I think the pendulum has swung more and more away from sovereign ownership towards community interest, but there are always going to be people on the other side of this kind of debate.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2019, 07:42:04 AM »

Except you could. Maybe not immediately-- everyone is at a different point in their life where they can afford things. But I'm hard pressed to hear that an adult cannot afford $9. As I said, it doesn't have to be immediately.

You could sell something to make the money (Bubbles). You do art. You could sell custom art for $1-2.

Although I would like to hope that someone would use their head before baiting a South African pony (><) since even with no hair apparently someone will pay a fortune for it ;)
*twitch twitch*

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2019, 07:44:03 AM »
@bandit_pony - that last quote is mine ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline gemini_pony

• Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2019, 07:48:07 AM »

Except you could. Maybe not immediately-- everyone is at a different point in their life where they can afford things. But I'm hard pressed to hear that an adult cannot afford $9. As I said, it doesn't have to be immediately.

You could sell something to make the money (Bubbles). You do art. You could sell custom art for $1-2.

*twitch twitch*

Well believe it. Because I don't actually have a form of income. Also no one ever buys my art....I'm going to try to sell this one here.  But I need help pricing it.
( I actually haven't bought a pony in years because of no spending money)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2019, 08:11:04 AM »

*twitch twitch*

Well believe it. Because I don't actually have a form of income. Also no one ever buys my art....I'm going to try to sell this one here.  But I need help pricing it.
( I actually haven't bought a pony in years because of no spending money)

Your husband has a job, so your family has an income. I'm not questioning your money situation is tight. It obviously is. But if you can't be frugal enough to save $9 in a few months time.. (including selling things) I'm not sure what to say.

Offline gemini_pony

• Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2019, 08:16:19 AM »
I don't get spending money. I already said I'm going to try to sell the thing here so I can buy a bait.  But if it doesn't sell it's getting baited.

I'm trying to get a price check on it....

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2019, 10:30:19 AM »
Honestly people have tried to talk me out of customizing my sitting Bubbles and do the repro. But I can't find one and the person i messaged to trade a bait hasn't replied. My opinion is it's my property I will do what I want with it and if i offend someone too bad so sad. The G1 ponies won't last forever anyway. Hell I have no kids my whole collection might end up in a landfill when I die. No store here gets the retro's and I am not spending more that retail to order one for a custom.

Its you. You asked what to do with your bubbles and I adviced you to do whatever you want with your property. Thank you for your good advice. I kinda wonder how I ended up a question like this when I already knew. I didnt realize it before. Thanks for helling me realize :)
Lover of Windwhistler

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal