collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "Common Ground" FiM S9 Ep6 Discussion  (Read 3712 times)

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
"Common Ground" FiM S9 Ep6 Discussion
« on: May 04, 2019, 03:14:42 PM »
I've been waiting for this one! Though I could care less for Quibblepants, I'm a HUGE fan of Patton Oswalt! I've watched a lot of his stand-up and interviews and such about the loss of his wife, which I know this episode kinda touches on. Hoping for a good one.

Official Synopsis:
"Rainbow Dash's old pal Quibble Pants needs help to bond with the daughter of his new special friend because, like Dash, she's a real sports pony."

Detailed Summary:

We open up with an retro voice over sports announcement montage about Buckball! It seems this sport has really taken Equestria by storm. The Buckball Hall of Fame has been built in Appleoosa (guess we've had quite a growth there!) and it's first inductees are the ponyville team consisting os Fluttershy, Pinkie, & Snails. We zoom out to reveal the team and many other ponies are actually watching this video in a theater at the Hall of Fame.

Team Ponyville is met with a lot of excited fans! Snips works out an autograph deal for Snails in order to earn bits. While he's busy doing so, Fluttershy, Pinkie, and Dash watch another team practice. They are in Appleoosa for a big Buckball tournament, and need to get to practice soon. Dashie has been tasked by Applejack to visit all the exhibits, meaning she'll be a bit late to cheer on her team. Pinkie points out there's already a line for the museum opening, but the only person in that line is Quibble Pants, who is camping out much to Dash's surprise. He tries to claim he is a huge fan of the sport, but it's obvious his knowledge is actually quite limited. Before she can question much further, two ponies make an appearance. Clear Sky, Quibble's new girlfriend, and her daughter, Wind Sprint. While it's very obvious Clear Sky and Quibble are quite in love, Wind Sprint appears quite a bit more disconnected (though Quibbles shows her honest affection as well). As Quibble nervously rambles about what exhibit he wants to see, Wind makes it very clear she'd rather be in the stadium right now. Clear Sky is not having it however, and drags her daughter back just as the museum doors open.

Dash tries to cheer Wind up but she is still uninterested. Quibble suggests the group split up so he can have some time to catch up with Dash, and Wind quickly scampers away from them. Quibble hides with Rainbow Dash to explain that he really loves Clear Sky but knows nothing about Buckball or sports in general, which is trying to learn to impress Wind Sprint. Wind Sprints biological father was a big athelete, and she has taken on his love of sports. Quibble is terrified that his relationship with Clear Sky won't work out of Wind Sprint dislikes him, as he is trying to respect their family. He was hoping to convince Wind that he was a huge buckball fan to try and create a way for the two to bond, but his lack of understanding the sport really shows. After falling on his rear when Dash attempts to practice with him, he begs her to talk him up to Wind to try and impress her. Dash obliges and goes over to talk to Wind, introducing herself as a wonderbolt and buckball player before Wind recognizes her. She tries to tell her that Quibble Pants is a pretty great athlete just like her father was, but she remains unconvinced due to his clumsiness. We do a quick scene swap to the gift shop of the museum and the group prepares to leave for the stadium. Quibble stops to hand Wind Sprint a surprise gift, a copy of the Buckball Almanac, which she in unimpressed by. Clear Sky reminds him that while the trip and gift are thoughtful, he doesn't need to try so hard. Sky and Wind Sprint head to the stadium while Quibble laments to Dash that wind will never like him. Dash says all they need to do is find his sporty side, which she swears to bring out by the end of the trip.

Quibble thinks the idea is impossible, and Dash jokingly suggests he just be him self and bond with her over comics and rpgs. He quips that he has 17 Charisma but it's not enough (LOL) and that Wind doesn't even like Daring Do to the complete shock of Dash. She shoos him off to a small training field and explains they just need to find out what he's good at. It could be speed, strength, agility, or just everything! They start by passing the ball very slowly back and forth to each other, but he even messes that up. Next is a short race against Snips, but he barely moves an inch in the time it takes Snips to cross the line. Strength is the last attempt, where he struggles to even hold up two tiny books. Dash says she could improve him at least a little if they had time, but Quibbles is wanting the problem solved immediately. The loud cheering from the stadium distracts the pair but gives Dash an idea.

Inside the stadium, Team Ponyville is blowing the competition away. Wind Sprint is cheering them on when Quibble finally shows up to join the two. Sky asks him where he's been, and Quibble informs them that he's been making arrangements for the three to meet with Team Ponyville. Wind brightens up immediately at the idea but Sky seems more concerned, and reminds him once again that he seems to be trying to hard as Dash walks them out onto the field. Dash talks him saying, saying that Quibble is a big sports fan because he knows Wonderbolts and Buckball players. Fluttershy and Pinkie are very excited to me Quibble Pants, having heard of him from Dash previously. Unfortunately, they bring up some of his more negative traits, making the situation a bit awkward. Wind grumbles that being a fan isn't the same as being an athlete, and turns her attention to Team Ponyville, asking what it's like to plan in front of so many people. Dash interrupts however, to announce that Quibble and Wind are going to be playing against Team Ponyville during half-time. Oh no!

After commercial we cut to a bit of practice on the field before halftime. Snails is joining Quibble and Wind to complete the team. Wind Sprint is showing off her perfect athletic ability while Quibble just stands their awkwardly, completely unprepared. He panics to Dash that he idea is TERRIBLE, he is going to make a fool of himself! Fortunately Dash thought of that, and she informed Pinkie and Fluttershy that they're going to need to take it easy on him to help impress Wind. The announcer comes over the speakers to announce it's time to start! On first ball, Quibble freezes up so Pinkie sticks his leg out to buck for him, but it goes in the ponyville net, oops. Second ball, Wind ends up with the opportunity to either pass to Quibble or make the shot herself. Fluttershy laments that Quibble is wide open, so Wind tosses the ball to him, but he completely misses the kick. Third ball, Wind throws high to Quibble who makes a kick and actually lands it! Unfortunately, the ball ends up in the ponyville goal, again. With three points, Team Ponyville wins. Quibble brings out the almanac and argues with the coach that a team scores a point when a ball is kicked by an earth pony into a basket but the rule book doesn't specify WHICH basket. Dash politely informs him that even so, it's obvious how the scoring works. Quibble tries to push again but this time Wind interrupts, exclaiming that it doesn't matter because Quibble isn't a sports-pony and she isn't having fun before running off the field. Clear Sky is very upset, and even though Quibble had good intentions, she says they need to rethink things.

Quibble Pants is sitting alone outside the stadium reading through the almanac when Dash walks up and commends him for scoring a goal, even if it was for the wrong team. He isn't having it however, but Dash doesn't want to give up. After more lamenting, Dash slyly mentions that he should stop trying to pretend and should seek out a different pony to learn about sports. Back in the museum, Sky and Wind are discussing the events. Wind says she doesn't like the trip, or Quibble for that matter, and asks her mom why she does. Sky says she likes him because he's kind, smart, and has good friends. Wind says it doesn't matter, because no amount of ponies caring will make her forget about her dad. Sky gently lets her know that even though Quibble might be trying to hard, he isn't trying to replace her dad, and Wind might have room for both ponies in her life. Quibble comes in and apologizes, admits he's not sporty, and asks if they can watch the tournament together and have Wind explain buckball to him instead. Though it takes a little encouragement from Sky, she agrees. Together he and Wind watch the tournament and Quibbles reveals he's actually learned a little from reading that almanac he purchased, impressing Wind. She realizes that the book is pretty cool after all, and digs her nose in as Quibble turns to talk to Sky. Quibble apologizes again, thinking Sky still wants to end the relationship, but points out that he and Wind just made a connection! Sky explains that she wasn't going to call it quits, and just wanted them to rethink having Rainbow Dash exaggerate and lie for him. Dash and Quibble both try to pretend they don't know what she means before they are interrupted by Wind coming over to show Sky something from the book. Sky is impressed and comments that maybe books aren't so bad and that Quibble didn't need all those silly things to bond with Wind. Dash points out that he did need to buy that book though, and they all share a laugh as the episode ends.

-----------

Oh, this was actually pretty good! I really like the designs they did for Sky and Wind, and Oswalts daughter did a pretty good job voice acting. I am probably a little biased, again because I just love Oswalt and know the story and why this episode was the way it was. I think it was handled pretty well overall, and is one of the better episodes so far.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: "Common Ground" FiM S9 Ep6 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 03:49:25 PM »
I love this episode!! It was super sweet and I think the lesson was great too. I really like Sky's design.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 03:52:21 PM »
This episode had one of my MLP pet peeves: the guy is brown and grey, the girl is pink and pastels, and together they look like some horse and a My Little Pony :P

I really loved the little kid character, tho. And nice name, too. It wasn't my favorite episode so far but it had a wholesome theme.
Wondering what those villains are up to... (sorry, I had to).

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 04:09:52 PM »
This episode had one of my MLP pet peeves: the guy is brown and grey, the girl is pink and pastels, and together they look like some horse and a My Little Pony :P

I really loved the little kid character, tho. And nice name, too. It wasn't my favorite episode so far but it had a wholesome theme.
Wondering what those villains are up to... (sorry, I had to).
Grogar: Now, Tirek, fall back and Cozy Glow will catch you.
Cozy Glow: I don't think you've thought this through.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 05:23:24 PM »
What in the world is with this season??  It’s the final season and all the episodes have been terrible!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 05:26:31 PM »
Grogar: Now, Tirek, fall back and Cozy Glow will catch you.
Cozy Glow: I don't think you've thought this through.

Tbh, I want nothing more than the adventures of Tirek and Cozy Glow. Each episode ends in Tirek screaming "Coooozyyyyy" like Dave Seville.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 08:04:34 PM »
I thought it was a pretty decent episode.  Loved the design of the two new characters, especially Clear Sky.  I’d adore a brushable of her!

But I totally hear you, Zapper!  That whole color scheming for male ponies is really irritating.

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 04:30:41 AM »
What in the world is with this season??  It’s the final season and all the episodes have been terrible!

I wouldn't say they were terrible, but I can see where you're coming from. The Beginning Of The End part two seemed to leave a lot unfinished. Like, ok we saw Sombra, but what about Tirek and Chysalis and of course Grogar? What are they doing now? The last few episodes seem to be unnecessarily dragging it out and not really achieving anything important.

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 04:50:19 AM »
Woohoo, finally an episode I fully enjoyed ! There's a nice lesson being taught, the episode is consistent, clever, well though out overall, funny and the animation is well done. If you feel like watching an episode without feeling disappointed, I would recommend this one without a doubt ! :D
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 05:33:44 AM »
Spoiler
Wow, just wow. I couldn't stand this episode. Quibble Pants made a horrible father and an equally terrible athlete and Rainbow Dash made the whole situation worse. Her mom and daughter were the only sensible ones (though the daughter was pretty much a clone of Twilight).

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 06:48:00 AM »
Spoiler
Wow, just wow. I couldn't stand this episode. Quibble Pants made a horrible father and an equally terrible athlete and Rainbow Dash made the whole situation worse. Her mom and daughter were the only sensible ones (though the daughter was pretty much a clone of Twilight).
Spoiler
You can't do much with a terrible character from the get go.  And when an episode focuses on two terrible characters, you're pretty much screwed.  I found myself becoming more engrossed with other things while the episode played out because I really couldn't care.  I love hockey, but there's no way I'd want to get on the ice against an NHL or even college team.

Also, I'm staying faraway from anything brony for a good month after this episode.  I just know what they're doing with Clear Skies' previous husband, and I'm going to save myself the aggravation.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 08:11:10 AM »
Spoiler
Spoiler
You can't do much with a terrible character from the get go.  And when an episode focuses on two terrible characters, you're pretty much screwed.  I found myself becoming more engrossed with other things while the episode played out because I really couldn't care.  I love hockey, but there's no way I'd want to get on the ice against an NHL or even college team.

Also, I'm staying faraway from anything brony for a good month after this episode.  I just know what they're doing with Clear Skies' previous husband, and I'm going to save myself the aggravation.
TBH, I've been watching Rocket Power and found that they do the whole friendship thing much better. The characters are also much more relatable. They even have their own Rainbow Dash but they either eat their own words or get told off for what they said.

Offline Storybelle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2019, 05:38:58 AM »
I started this episode and lost interest pretty quickly. I'll try again in a few days but it just didn't grab me right off.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 07:26:34 AM »
Not seen the episode yet, but it's nice that Patton's daughter voiced a character, because I know that the two of them watch the show together, and that might have led to him voicing Quibble Pants before (not sure about that part.)

This episode had one of my MLP pet peeves: the guy is brown and grey, the girl is pink and pastels, and together they look like some horse and a My Little Pony :P[/quote]

Yeah, the boys should be part of the usual color scheme too.  Quibble gets a kind of pass, if it's still his Daring Do colors (which ultimately, don't make that much sense anyway...), but it is nicer to balance the boys' color schemes out.  I'll have to check how balanced it actually is.

Like, ok we saw Sombra, but what about Tirek and Chysalis and of course Grogar? What are they doing now?
I'm not even sure I even want this "League of Villains" to be honest.  I suppose it could work, but the only ones who come close to interesting me are King Sombra and Grogar - I never liked the G4 version of Tirek ever, Cozy Glow is one of the show's least defendable decisions ever, in my opinion, and part of me wishes they'd just dropped Queen Chrysalis after her second appearance (third if comics are included, and fourth if flashbacks are) because even I am having to admit she is being overused, and it's weird having to feel that about my favorite villain.

Respect to those who feel different, though.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 10:04:57 AM »
Yeah, the boys should be part of the usual color scheme too.  Quibble gets a kind of pass, if it's still his Daring Do colors (which ultimately, don't make that much sense anyway...), but it is nicer to balance the boys' color schemes out.  I'll have to check how balanced it actually is.

It would be actually fun to me if Qujbble had a dye job to match his idol. Kind of like the mayor of Ponyville. I think in one episode they "caught" her coloring her hair from pink to grey :lol:

The ratio of fantasy colors in stallions is better or worse depending on the episode and season. I noticed the Crystal Empire has more candy color stallions because they are all supposed to be "pretty" and sparkly. Bug in general, when a stallion has a speaking role he will be white, blue or an earth tone. Big Mac was the big exception for a while. But he is basically colored like an apple. It's not like he is magenta or pink.
I always whine about this but I guess I was just so happy about G2 using the same mold for everyone, this weird sexual dimorphism in FiM is extra jarring to me at times. Although I have to admit, I also never got over the teeny tiny snouts of the female ponies in contrast with the male ponies block heads.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal