collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dealing with tail rust on a Sweetsteps Ballerina (hard body)?  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
While cleaning up some surface grime on my Tiptoes today, I noticed that the very base of her tail had visible rust... Since the ballerinas are constructed quite differently than most G1 MLP (are the heads even removable?), how should I deal with this? I took care of the rust that was showing, but I can of course see that there’s more inside, and I’m worried about it spreading into the tail again. :/
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with tail rust on a Sweetsteps Ballerina (hard body)?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 08:44:17 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 09:02:58 AM »
I wonder if the rust would end up creeping down the legs? That would look neat. Creepy, but neat.  :P
I suppose you might also just be able to remove a leg to scrub? It looks like it would be quite tricky to get them back in, though.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 09:12:26 AM »
I wonder if the rust would end up creeping down the legs? That would look neat. Creepy, but neat.  :P
I suppose you might also just be able to remove a leg to scrub? It looks like it would be quite tricky to get them back in, though.

I could of swore I popped out a leg when I was a kid... And then popped it back in.. fuzzy memory tho.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 09:16:01 AM »
You can completely dismantle this type of pony. If they won't budge easily just hit 'em with a hair dryer to soften up the plastic.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 08:00:42 PM »
Thanks, guys! :)

That’s a relief! I tugged at the neck experimentally when I was cleaning, but it seemed pretty stuck on there. I don’t like to press my luck, so I thought I’d ask before attempting any disassembly. Are the tails easily removable/re-insertable? Since these aren’t made of the typical, flexible MLP PVC, it seems like it would be very hard to get the tails back in again...

Also, since the rust is no longer showing... Is there any harm in leaving the remaining rust for now, and dealing with it at a later date, if/when it becomes visible again?
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 08:18:42 PM »
I think the only harm is that the rust might spread out again, or spread across the plastic. As mlp4me said, a hair dryer should soften up the plastic enough for you to do what you need to do.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 08:28:30 PM »
I think the only harm is that the rust might spread out again, or spread across the plastic. As mlp4me said, a hair dryer should soften up the plastic enough for you to do what you need to do.

I guess I’ll take a look inside her when I clean my next batch of rusted ponies... Does rust stain the plastic permanently? Or is it pretty easy to clean up? Since the Ballerinas are much easier to remove surface grime from in general, I imagine they’re less prone to most stains?

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 05:42:00 AM »

I guess I’ll take a look inside her when I clean my next batch of rusted ponies... Does rust stain the plastic permanently? Or is it pretty easy to clean up? Since the Ballerinas are much easier to remove surface grime from in general, I imagine they’re less prone to most stains?
I would think it should come off with a proper scrubbing; if all else fails use something with a bit of grit to it. Softer bodied ponies will sometimes not clean up 100%, but I would bet she'll come out clean. Sometimes you can't get all the rust discoloration out of the tail though, even if you try and try and try again. Good luck!

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 06:26:11 AM »
Use a hair dryer to warm her body up when taking her apart and again when putting her back together :)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal