collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G3 Cleaning Tips?  (Read 1344 times)

Offline StayGoldPonyboy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
G3 Cleaning Tips?
« on: November 03, 2019, 12:58:25 PM »
Most of the restoration/cleaning blogs and videos I’ve seen are about G1s, and iirc G3s are made of different materials? The ones I have are covered in marker, I’m sure it’ll be difficult to clean but if anyone’s had success, pointers would be appreciated!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: G3 Cleaning Tips?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 01:23:52 PM »
G1 and G3 clean very similarly, one of the main differences I can think of is that G3 tend to sunfade poorly, so if the marker doesn't come off with magic eraser or acetone I wouldn't know what to do, who do you have?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 01:35:26 PM »
In my experience, G3s are actually easier to clean than G1s. :) At least on the surface... tail rust is another story entirely. That said, most G1 cleaning tips apply to G3s as well. Just keep in mind that pearl finish and gradients can respond poorly to harsh scrubbing and chemicals, so be careful!

For marker stains, I like to work my way up from the least abrasive cleaning methods to the most... Try a toothbrush with soap and water first, and then try a magic eraser if that doesn’t work. Magic erasers have gotten a lot of pen/crayon/marker marks off of my used G3s! Just be super careful around any paint apps.

I’ve had extremely mixed results with acetone... use with caution, as it can not only take the pearly finish off of G3s, but cause the marker stains to smudge and spread! Avoid it unless you’re very desperate.

G1 and G3 clean very similarly, one of the main differences I can think of is that G3 tend to sunfade poorly, so if the marker doesn't come off with magic eraser or acetone I wouldn't know what to do, who do you have?

Seconding—there are a LOT of bleached out and/or yellowed G3s out there... Sunfading is very risky.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline StayGoldPonyboy

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 03:19:50 PM »
tailrusted and nemesis, I’ve started on cleaning them and a lot of the surface dirt on one actually came off with a wet wipe haha! The markers seem to be coming off with repeated toothbrush washing, thank you so much for the suggestions! I was scared their hair would be hard to deal with considering the tinsel, but it’s going very well also.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 03:38:44 PM »
I think a lot of people make a big deal out of tinsel for little reason, but I haven't had any real horror stories with it yet.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline StayGoldPonyboy

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 03:53:57 PM »
Tailrusted, it was actually based off my own experience with it more than anything else haha, I’m not a huge fan of tinsel except on certain ponies, and I usually have trouble brushing it.

Offline SunbeamV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 04:39:30 PM »
as others have said, I think they're honestly even easier than g1s! because of their slightly different plastic, I've even had the nastiest of stains/pen marks come off with just hot soapy water and a fingernail  :blink:

Offline StayGoldPonyboy

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 05:29:10 PM »
welp i tried everything on some of the marker stains 😔 I’ll be putting them up for sale momentarily!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal