collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sooo, that Sonic the Hedgehog trailer  (Read 8517 times)

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Sooo, that Sonic the Hedgehog trailer
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2019, 07:36:35 AM »
Oh my god what is up with those LIPS they gave him?!?! :scared: :yikes:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2019, 07:50:35 AM »
He looks like a a thumbnail to a creepy pasta xD

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2019, 09:09:55 AM »
Spoiler
Yeah, gah, those teeth, I thought I was the only one. Wowza. LOL.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2019, 09:30:34 AM »
Well, heres hoping they can make him atleast somewhat recognizable.

Im a genesis girl so will probably still watch it..but if they don't shorten him up and give him proper legs and gloves im going ot be twitchy the whole way through.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2019, 05:35:34 AM »
Ok so with all the discussion in the comparison thread I went and watched it.

Not being a Sonic fan I'm not fundamentally offended by his animation. I just think it looks stupid...is that allowed to say? But I really don't like this kind of cgi character in real world movie kind of setting. It's meant to be animated. Animate all of it -.-.

The thing that creeped me out the most was Gangsta's Paradise running through the whole trailer. I mean, yeah. really? From Dangerous Minds to an animated blue nailbrush? (Not a comment on Sonic overall, that's just what this version looks like to me)

Also my experience with seeing what they did to Jem tells me that movie companies don't care about the original they're wrecking until it threatens their box office takings. Jem crashed because they didn't listen soon enough...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 05:39:42 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2019, 09:32:51 AM »

Not being a Sonic fan I'm not fundamentally offended by his animation. I just think it looks stupid...is that allowed to say? But I really don't like this kind of cgi character in real world movie kind of setting. It's meant to be animated. Animate all of it -.-.

The thing that creeped me out the most was Gangsta's Paradise running through the whole trailer. I mean, yeah. really? From Dangerous Minds to an animated blue nailbrush? (Not a comment on Sonic overall, that's just what this version looks like to me)

Also my experience with seeing what they did to Jem tells me that movie companies don't care about the original they're wrecking until it threatens their box office takings. Jem crashed because they didn't listen soon enough...

I'm a big fan of the animated Jem and the Holograms. I can't stand the Jem movie and have only been able to watch around 10-20 minutes of it. To me it has nothing to do with Jem and the only used character names from Jem to make a totally different story. If I remember correctly they changed Jerrica's age from a young adult to a teenager also.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2019, 09:39:59 AM »

I'm a big fan of the animated Jem and the Holograms. I can't stand the Jem movie and have only been able to watch around 10-20 minutes of it. To me it has nothing to do with Jem and the only used character names from Jem to make a totally different story. If I remember correctly they changed Jerrica's age from a young adult to a teenager also.

Ponyfan

Exactly.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2019, 12:00:17 PM »
That's cool and all, but that doesn't fix the actual problem. The movie looks like its going to be dumb. Hilariously dumb granted, but dumb in all the ways that won't appeal to fans or non-fans.
As a long time Sonic fan (he was the very first character in my life that I ever became attached to), I'm not so much worried about how dumb it might be, but I am concerned about the lack of Sonic's friends in this.

The reason I fell in love with Sonic was because of him and his world. I loved Robotnik being the only human in the games, and I adored all of Sonic's friends (and enemies). So what did they do with the live action? Make yet another movie which drops all of that so we can spend more time with other human characters. I know some have speculated that this is a prequel, but I still feel disappointed. It reminds me of the live action Smurf movies, when they decided to drag the Smurfs into our world when it was their world which people fell in love with.

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2019, 01:04:59 AM »
Lets not forget humans taking over transformers...

Sometimes it is good to remember that people are not as interesting as movies make out...especially given the fact they repeat the exact same humour style and tropes across every movie in this kind of demographic.

And it really isn't all that funny.

This particularly springs to mind as I just saw the secret life of pets 2 trailer and that about maxed out my tolerance for that style of humour. It's not that it never works, just that it is in every. single. such film and it's in the Sonic trailer too. And it's just...way overused, way overdone, and thus not actually that clever or funny.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 01:08:10 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2019, 09:36:26 AM »

Ponyfan

Honestly I could have lived with them making her younger to be more "relevant" but the costume design was bland. Jem was about over the top lewks. And a live action Sonic could be acceptable if he actually looks like Sonic.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2019, 04:00:15 PM »
That's cool and all, but that doesn't fix the actual problem. The movie looks like its going to be dumb. Hilariously dumb granted, but dumb in all the ways that won't appeal to fans or non-fans.
As a long time Sonic fan (he was the very first character in my life that I ever became attached to), I'm not so much worried about how dumb it might be, but I am concerned about the lack of Sonic's friends in this.

The reason I fell in love with Sonic was because of him and his world. I loved Robotnik being the only human in the games, and I adored all of Sonic's friends (and enemies). So what did they do with the live action? Make yet another movie which drops all of that so we can spend more time with other human characters. I know some have speculated that this is a prequel, but I still feel disappointed. It reminds me of the live action Smurf movies, when they decided to drag the Smurfs into our world when it was their world which people fell in love with.

Trust me I watched several of the cartoons and enjoyed two and have played several games. I know.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2019, 01:31:26 PM »

Ponyfan

Honestly I could have lived with them making her younger to be more "relevant" but the costume design was bland. Jem was about over the top lewks. And a live action Sonic could be acceptable if he actually looks like Sonic.

Well, Jerrica was already pretty young, but the core of the whole Jem plot is tied up with Starlight Music, her controlling it, her wresting it back from Eric and then constantly protecting it in order to support the Starlight Girls. And when you take that out of the plot you no longer have Jem.

And I hate the character Jem with a passion, and Jerrica often annoys me. But at least I can give her credit for having a REASON for being so uptight so much of the time.

Although the movie didn't have a chance to really trash the Misfits so that was ok. What offended me most about it was Synergy. Because I love Synergy, but in modern terms, with Hatsune Miku and so on, it's not such an alien concept. So do they use this..? No. No they don't.

I'm afraid "LOL Youtube for kicks" is not a replacement for "finding a new home for foster girls after losing control of music company to a jerk" in terms of plot setup.

The film would've been fine for the audience it targeted if it wasn't trying to be Jem, though. The audience it was targeted at probably didn't know or care what Jem was, thus using the names etc was unnecessary. The people who cared about Jem and would have engaged with it were the ones who remember Jem - thus trying to cater at least a bit to the actual plot basics would've been a good idea?

I think with shows like Stranger Things, it's proven that setting it in the 1980s wouldn't have been a problem. But they didn't really think like that.

Jem is the one eighties kids series that shouldn't be rebooted in my view in a modern context as it only could have existed in the eighties. But if updating it was going to happen, there's still room to keep the basic plot to make it respectable.

...Going back to Sonic, I feel like more people know about Sonic over a longer period and to the present than with Jem, but it does feel like this film is a bit in the same vein of taking advantage of known names and fandoms to try and get an easy hit...?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2019, 08:45:35 AM »
So I watched Detective Pikachu (really enjoyed it) and the Sonic trailer played ahead of it.

I was kind of expecting some unkind snickers, but what the trailer got was even worse:  dead silence.  Including during all the Jim Carrey parts.  It was soooo awkward.  The only thing that got a chuckle was the ending duffle bag joke.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2019, 09:48:04 AM »
I also want to add that I think Jim Carrey is so miscast in this. He is a serious actor but as a comedian he is always the same. It worked in the past (loved Ace Ventura and even his Carrey-Grinch) but nowadays are people really checking for his antics anymore? Truman Show Carrey would have sufficed. Or no Carrey at all considering he doesn't even look the part.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2019, 01:19:08 PM »

Ponyfan

Well, Jerrica was already pretty young, but the core of the whole Jem plot is tied up with Starlight Music, her controlling it, her wresting it back from Eric and then constantly protecting it in order to support the Starlight Girls. And when you take that out of the plot you no longer have Jem.

And I hate the character Jem with a passion, and Jerrica often annoys me. But at least I can give her credit for having a REASON for being so uptight so much of the time.

Although the movie didn't have a chance to really trash the Misfits so that was ok. What offended me most about it was Synergy. Because I love Synergy, but in modern terms, with Hatsune Miku and so on, it's not such an alien concept. So do they use this..? No. No they don't.

I'm afraid "LOL Youtube for kicks" is not a replacement for "finding a new home for foster girls after losing control of music company to a jerk" in terms of plot setup.

The film would've been fine for the audience it targeted if it wasn't trying to be Jem, though. The audience it was targeted at probably didn't know or care what Jem was, thus using the names etc was unnecessary. The people who cared about Jem and would have engaged with it were the ones who remember Jem - thus trying to cater at least a bit to the actual plot basics would've been a good idea?

I think with shows like Stranger Things, it's proven that setting it in the 1980s wouldn't have been a problem. But they didn't really think like that.

Jem is the one eighties kids series that shouldn't be rebooted in my view in a modern context as it only could have existed in the eighties. But if updating it was going to happen, there's still room to keep the basic plot to make it respectable.

If I remember correctly didn't Eric mention in one the first episodes that he was embezzling money from Starlight Music and that was one of his reasons for trying to stop Jerrica from taking control of it?

I also hated what the live action Jem movie did to Synergy.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal