collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: ever bought a pony and realize you like/dislike them more then you thought?  (Read 6181 times)

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
Angel looks beautiful de-flocked!

I never liked Secret Surprise ponies but I got one recently in a lot and wow...they are really cool! Their poses are unique and they stand a little taller than normal ponies.

So I now have two in my collection XD

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
I think my biggest surprise was Cupcake and Masquerade.  They came in a lot... and I didn't even know they were in there.  I thought I really hated their poses.  But when I took them out, their beautiful colors just amazed me.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
I just realised that I have another example of this, albeit one that goes over a long span of time!

When I was around three years old, I had Cherries Jubilee. I can't remember for sure how I got her, or whether I was involved in choosing her, or if she was a present. But I had her. She was my third pony ever.

As a kid I really didn't like that pose. I also had Snowflake and felt the same about that. Snowflake had the prettier colours, though, and a sparkly symbol, so I think I liked her more. Also she was Pony Christmas one year in the stories so that helped :) Although I did have a 'friend' try to steal her, I was still glad when she was returned to my fold.

So I had these two ponies and I wasn't hugely in love with either of them. But they were part of my herd so obviously they stayed. They just tended to get the least fun jobs in games, or they'd go exploring more because I wasn't so attached to them. And Cherries Jubilee most of all. Although she had the song tape song and there was a Cherries Jubilee in the cartoon and she was in the comic, I still didn't totally connect.

When I was a kid I was obsessed with Magic Star. But after a while it dawned on me that she was also in that same pose. So I knew I had to do something about my pose-hate and my Cherries Jubilee hate. By this point (I was nine?) my Cherries Jubilee's hair was all over the place and resembled a cross between a loofah and bunny ears...which did nothing much to endear me. But at that age I was writing stories about ponies, so I thought I'd write about Magic Star and make Cherries Jubilee (CJ) her best friend, so I'd get to like her more.

...So fast forward to now.

The strategy worked. It worked so well that now I not only have my (now beloved) childhood CJ (whose hair is a bit hippyish now but no longer bunny ear loofah style), I also have an upgrade CJ, a symbol variation CJ from the US, the UK 1986 one with straight hair, the So Soft, a NC one, an Italian one, and two Mint on Card ones - UK 1985 and UK 1986. From really disliking this pony I now have what probably counts as an army.

All because I decided to write about her when I was nine.

I now have Magic Star too. Her pose doesn't bother me any more. In fact, weirdly enough, although I hated the pose so much as a kid, I love her in that pose much more than the SS. While she's pretty, I have a disconnect with the SS Magic Star - she's too pale because of the fur, and she just isn't 'right' to me, as I never grew up knowing about SS ponies. So now I guess my pose-hate is well and truly cured, thanks to CJ.

(And now I think Snowflake is beautiful, and have her MOC too. I'm really now proud that the UK made ponies like her which broke the rules and gave glitter symbols to ordinary earth ponies!)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
What a sweet story Taffeta!

Oh yeah, Sweetheart Sisters as well! I don't want any more (except maybe the one that looks like a giraffe)

:lol:

Spoiler

Spot the difference. xD

I never thought of that comparison before, but when you said it it rang so true...
Pfft. Someone should photograph her with Creamsicle. Also, was the "spot" pun intended?

I wasn't initially out to collect G3s. My first ones (Rainbow Flash and Scootaloo) were grabbed in a thrift store multibag with G1s. But they grew on me and I started seeking G3s on purpose. Even bought Scootaloo's scooter when I found it at thrift.
should be perma-moderated

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
I'm pretty picky about my ponies. I seldom buy ponies I'm unsure of.

Other then the dreadful quality and awful anatomy of the G4s, they were just pretty enough that most stuck around.

I bought a Lyra Heartstrings once that went in the trash. Never had I opened up a toy that had such a poisonous chemical smell emanating from it. I would have felt guilty giving her to a kid. She had to go.

Magical Scenes Rainbowdash has dry, frizzy outta control hair. Especially her tail. If she had been a normal Dash and if I didn't like her gimmick, she would have gone in the charity bag upon opening her.

Mu daughter ended up with a few of my McDonald's ponies and blind bags.

I did buy a baity Sweet Stuff that eventually ended up with my daughter. Mane cut and age spots poor girl. We tried to do a partial restore, didn't match her pale sky blue, but she looks better and my daughter enjoys her.

I bought a North Star as she was a favorite character of mine and I'd always wanted one as a child.  When I got her, I was less enamored then I thought I'd be and my daughter ended up getting her. She wasn't thrilled at first, but grew to really like her and later got Baby North Star to go with her.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 02:53:55 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I have a weird Rainbow Dash with the poseable legs sitting on the top of my TV. She falls off whenever I try to adjust the cables though. I got her from a charity shop. I wouldn't normally buy such a pony, but her hair is sticking up all over the place and with her goofy expression it's hilarious. Right now she looks like she's trying to ride the TV, but usually she looks like she's examining my calendar...I'm sure if she had had nice neat hair I would have never taken her home ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I just realised that I have another example of this, albeit one that goes over a long span of time!

When I was around three years old, I had Cherries Jubilee. I can't remember for sure how I got her, or whether I was involved in choosing her, or if she was a present. But I had her. She was my third pony ever.

As a kid I really didn't like that pose. I also had Snowflake and felt the same about that. Snowflake had the prettier colours, though, and a sparkly symbol, so I think I liked her more. Also she was Pony Christmas one year in the stories so that helped :) Although I did have a 'friend' try to steal her, I was still glad when she was returned to my fold.

So I had these two ponies and I wasn't hugely in love with either of them. But they were part of my herd so obviously they stayed. They just tended to get the least fun jobs in games, or they'd go exploring more because I wasn't so attached to them. And Cherries Jubilee most of all. Although she had the song tape song and there was a Cherries Jubilee in the cartoon and she was in the comic, I still didn't totally connect.

When I was a kid I was obsessed with Magic Star. But after a while it dawned on me that she was also in that same pose. So I knew I had to do something about my pose-hate and my Cherries Jubilee hate. By this point (I was nine?) my Cherries Jubilee's hair was all over the place and resembled a cross between a loofah and bunny ears...which did nothing much to endear me. But at that age I was writing stories about ponies, so I thought I'd write about Magic Star and make Cherries Jubilee (CJ) her best friend, so I'd get to like her more.

...So fast forward to now.

The strategy worked. It worked so well that now I not only have my (now beloved) childhood CJ (whose hair is a bit hippyish now but no longer bunny ear loofah style), I also have an upgrade CJ, a symbol variation CJ from the US, the UK 1986 one with straight hair, the So Soft, a NC one, an Italian one, and two Mint on Card ones - UK 1985 and UK 1986. From really disliking this pony I now have what probably counts as an army.

All because I decided to write about her when I was nine.

I now have Magic Star too. Her pose doesn't bother me any more. In fact, weirdly enough, although I hated the pose so much as a kid, I love her in that pose much more than the SS. While she's pretty, I have a disconnect with the SS Magic Star - she's too pale because of the fur, and she just isn't 'right' to me, as I never grew up knowing about SS ponies. So now I guess my pose-hate is well and truly cured, thanks to CJ.

(And now I think Snowflake is beautiful, and have her MOC too. I'm really now proud that the UK made ponies like her which broke the rules and gave glitter symbols to ordinary earth ponies!)

CJ and Snowflake are amazing ponies - in complete agreement here. I also like Magic Star, though she has yet to come my way. I particularly like CJ as she has so many symbol variations in just her plain old HK version. I think that's pretty awesome.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I think when I discovered the UK had its own version of CJ, that was me sold on the pony for good :D Variations and especially UK versions are always winners with me too :D

I hope you get to add a Magic Star at some point. She has very vibrant colours in her movie star form.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline PrincessNikki

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • dressed like a dream
    • View Profile
I think my biggest realized disliked pony is my reproduction Moonstone since she's starting to yellow (because of the scented plastic?) and it's a huge yellow blotch.

you're kidding. ALREADY? I didn't know there were discoloration issues from the scented ones. Oh gosh....

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
A few years ago, I started really going through my collection to see what I had, and what I needed.  I discovered that I had some serious holes in the UK pony and accessory area, so I started to concentrate on that.  One set that never really did it for me was the Mummy pony set.  I liked the wee babies quite a bit, but the Mummy pony just freaked me out.  So I held off getting one.  Then I noticed that the ebay prices were starting to skyrocket, and I figured if I was going to do it, I better do it now before the price went up even more.  Right then someone posted a complete set, functional with an extra baby even, for trade.  I had what she wanted, so we made the trade.  Even if the Mummy pony was kind of scary, I was excited about the babies. 

I got the package, unwrapped the Mummy pony, and tried her out.  After finally seeing this set in person, my reaction was WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE!?

I was in love!  It’s just so...unique!

As for regrets, most of those are ponies I overpaid for.  I did have one second set sea pony that I just did not like in person.  When I got Hightide, her head looked all weird to me.  I’m not sure if it was the mold, or if her head was just squished, but I sold her for cheap, and haven’t gotten another of that particular posed sea ponies since. 

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Being a missile launcher as well as a full time mum is definitely a selling point for the Surprise Twins gal.

I think she's weird as heck. But she's a lot of fun to mess around with.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
This goes way back to when I was a child and the Dutch exclusives were released... By then, ponies had died out in stores over here, so my main source was fleamarkets.

But then that ad appeared in the Intertoys catalogue (there are images of the "Verzamel ons allemaal!" ad on the internet somewhere, that's the one), and I almost went insane! NEW PONIES!!! :shocked: So of course I ended up getting them all eventually, but they didn't do the trick. They seemed fake, something was off about them, and they had weird colour schemes. To this day I still don't like them. Except Baby Cat, who was also the first Dutch pony I got because CATS, but I don't have her anymore. Really want her back, but not for the price she is going for now. :(

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Yeah, for me, it’s usually the opposite. A pony seems “meh” until I see her in person then... *starry anime eyes*

I think the only one that is kind of “starry eyes to meh” would be Mimic, but it’s more to do with her pose than anything else. That pose just doesn’t work on Mimic, for me. i would love to have a custom Mimic in a walking pose, with a different hair color...

Offline Miss_Pompon

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
I bought a piggy minty a few years ago but I didn't fell in love with her when she arrived. I finally traded her last christmas for more ordinary Italian ponies that I like much better

Made by LordBlumiere, thank you so much

My Want List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal