collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: ever bought a pony and realize you like/dislike them more then you thought?  (Read 6178 times)

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
There have been G4s I've been super excited to buy, then been very disappointed with their quality upon opening :\ I remember this happened with my pearly Sunflower (her hair is atrocious!) and my reboot fashion style Fluttershy (I'm just sad at how thin and scarce her hair is).

For a pony that I wasn't keen on until I got... well recently I bought a lot for a specific pony. So the other ponies that came with her, I have never been that interested in. Well, imagine my surprise when I totally ended up falling in love with Medley! For some reason she's just never stood out to me in pictures online, but in real life, wow! I just adore her beautiful colours :heart: and she has quickly become one of my favourites!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Well, imagine my surprise when I totally ended up falling in love with Medley!

Well, of course you did :D Medley is awesome :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
I have a couple so soft ponies I love.  Despite not being able to touch them...because flocked things feel gross.

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
I got a Baby Beachball for a swap once, and adored her. Nowadays I have my own!

Post Merge: May 02, 2019, 05:25:10 AM

I have a couple so soft ponies I love.  Despite not being able to touch them...because flocked things feel gross.

Couldn’t agree more! Flocking is the worst!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 05:25:10 AM by little.fox »

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile

flocking is not my favourite either, but I couldn't deflock my best wishes for she in near mint...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 06:43:41 AM by kingluke »
Lover of Windwhistler

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile

flocking is not my favourite either, but I couldn't deflock my best wishes for she in near mint...

I like flocking :D It's bouncy and fuzzy and fun :D
But I never had the novelty of a SS as a kid. I imagine, given the puddle swimming some of my early ponies went through, any childhood SS pony I ever had would probably have ended more clumpy than fuzzy.

I admit I have had some really...dirty ones. But I still like them. They're fuzzy :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
I've had a lot of gaffes with ponies over the years, the main one being MGR Sparkler. I love her design, her colour scheme and such. I absolutely adore carousel horses - particularly ornate, old-fashioned ones - but that pose. It didn't bug me until I actually got her and just... no. Couldn't get past those awkward legs, so I had to sell her in the end. :/

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I weirdly just found I do have an online photo of some of the MOC ponies I used to have but sold because they were US packaged or I was an idiot (mostly the first, not so much the second). THese are super old photos, actual pictures scanned in on an ancient scanner years ago, so forgive the quality please. They are from 2003 or earlier (cringe).

Sugarberry I mentioned earlier is in this picture:

I no longer have any of these MIP. I have the UK Strawberry Fair and I really regret selling the Italian boxed North Star. I have a US boxed one but the Italian box is cooler. But at that time I thought I only wanted UK things...

Italian Minty and CJ - also now rehomed :) I had a pretty bad time over Italian ponies around when I decided to make a break with dealing with variants and so I rehomed them. I hope they have nice homes now :)

Masquerade on the Dutch card - now gone :)

AJ and Cotton Candy, too - because of the cards. AJ I regret because she was a y3 one and I didn't have her loose. Now I do, though, with her card and stuff, so it's fine now. I know she had a good new home to go to :D

Pink sweet talker - no longer with me. The purple one I still have. UK box...

I don't even remember having Streaky O.o. That one must have gone pretty early I think. Curly Locks I probably should have kept as she was sold in that box in the UK. I also sold Shoreline and Squeezer. For some weird reason still have the other two. I think Tossles survived because she has a charm. I have no idea why Sugar Sweet stayed as her box is US, but I'm glad she did...

And finally...I no longer have Stardazzle. And yes, I do wish I kept her, because I won't ever afford another MIB DB and she was so cheap when I got her. But never mind  :) I also don't have the Sparkle baby any more, though the other 2 I kept.

So yeah. The moral of the story is that, I thought I didn't like non UK carded ponies. I sold a bunch. Most I don't miss. Some I do. So some I realised I liked more after I didn't have them any more. And some I really don't understand the reason I got them in the first place.

...And one I don't even remember owning O.o.

I have around 100 MIP ponies now and I keep thinking, maybe I should downsize, but I'm frightened of accidentally selling ones I'll later want back!

« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 11:35:16 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also likes transforming plastic robots
    • View Profile
For ponies that I wasn't thrilled with after I bought them, do the Funko Vinyl figures count? If so, they're all really nice with the exception of Trixie. Thought she looked lovely until I flipped the figure over and discovered she has absolutely no tail under the cape.  I know you don't display them from the bottom and it shouldn't matter, but, it just really bugs me. The cape is sculpted to look like it's being draped over the tail but it's just floating over this empty gap between the pony body and the underside of the cape. Like there's almost enough room for something to be there but no... just a tail-less, bald rear.

Ponies I were surprised by after I bought them were the reboot G4 Pegasus ponies. I bought a Soarin and Songbird Serenade and I had no idea their wings were jointed.  I also like how some poses have the wings folded against the body.

Offline Evilunicorn

• Captain Jack Pony
  • Always tired
    • View Profile
I think my biggest realized disliked pony is my reproduction Moonstone since she's starting to yellow (because of the scented plastic?) and it's a huge yellow blotch. Even before the yellowing I just liked her better in pictures. irl she's just an awkward green/grey shade and her cutie mark was printed wonky on mine.

A pony I ended up liking more than I originally thought would definitely be the reproduction Confetti. She's just so stinkin' cute in person and I love how bright her mane and tail are  :inlove:

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
Oh yeah, Sweetheart Sisters as well! I don't want any more (except maybe the one that looks like a giraffe) but Dainty and Flowerburst accidentally became members of my herd because I got them in a lot and couldn't being myself to sell them. I dressed up Dainty in G3 clothes to look like a prom queen for a friend but couldn't bring myself to give her to my friend, either.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Reading this thread it seems like a lot of ponies don’t photograph well. XD  I’ve had the same experience though, with disliking a pony every time I saw a picture but then falling in love when I saw one in person. Banana Surprise is one of these for me. I find she always looks weird in pictures (and I can’t get a photo I’m satisfied with with my own), but in person she’s lovely.

Elf

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Oh yeah, Sweetheart Sisters as well! I don't want any more (except maybe the one that looks like a giraffe)

:lol:

Spoiler

Spot the difference. xD

I never thought of that comparison before, but when you said it it rang so true...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Twinkle Eyed Ponies & Happy Tails Ponies

As a kid, I thought twinkle eyed ponies were a bit weird looking (never had any). As an adult collector, didn't have much interest in them when I'd see pictures online, still thought they were sort of strange looking with those gem eyes. Then I found 3 of them at a swap meet last year (Masquerade, Bright Eyes and Tic Tac Toe) in really nice shape and brought them home. They sort of grew on me and now I have 5 twinkle eyed ponies (added Locket and Sweet Stuff).

The happy tails ponies were because I told myself I didn't want any ponies with mechanisms inside because I viewed they would be potentially problematic. (yeah....about that decision, it was short lived I bought brush n' grows in the same purchase). But so anyways, I was standing at the swap meet digging through this cardboard box of G1's the merchant pulled out for me and there were three happy tails (Romper, Tabby and Squeezer). I had set them aside out of the box and was looking at other ponies in the box and I look sideways and my husband is standing there with Tabby making the tail swish around and making neighing sounds. It was adorable, so I bought all 3.

Offline Featherwurm

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Featherwurm Graphics
I've never really regretted a pony purchase (I'm very very selective on what I get), but on the happy side of the coin -

I bought some very sad So Softs to try deflocking, and I loved Angel so much I ended up keeping her.  I hadn't originally intended to, but how could I not love this aqua colored pony with her pretty fish symbols?  (I don't have anything against So Softs at all, and have a couple with flocking, but sometimes the flocking really just makes them so sad):

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal