collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: ever bought a pony and realize you like/dislike them more then you thought?  (Read 6176 times)

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
I bought many ponies but fortunately none so far have made me regret getting them.
I'm pleasantly surprised mostly. I didn't know I would like the second wave of the g1 rainbow ponies that much (halfway there :)) and I keep reaching for lemon drop.
For my g4 ponies I'm mostly disappointed in the hair quality, but not in the pony in general. Plus blind bag doubles, but I customize those.

edit: I once bought a gorjuss ruby doll but I haven't been able to bond with her yet, thinking of maybe selling her..

So how about you? Ever been pleasantly surprised? Deeply regretted buying somepony? If so, who was it?

Please tell me.

Cheers,

Luke
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 06:32:42 AM by kingluke »
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
There's a few ponies I've felt didn't quite fit into my collection, but only after a few years, and none that I've truly regretted despite no longer liking them as much.

However I did buy a Peter Stone, Little Anthony, impulsively while I was very sick with the flu and almost immediately after unwrapping it I realised I didn't love it as much as I'd hoped (I nicknamed him Swiss Cheese lol). I ended up trading it for two Breyer within a month, don't love them either but I like them better at least.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
I wouldn't say regret. I suppose my example would be years ago, when I was trying to get MOC versions of my childhood ponies (which I still am), I bought a MOC "Sugarberry" - ie on US card. And I had her for a good few years, but I could not accept her as the pony I grew up with, because the card was different and the name was wrong. So I ended up selling her maybe ten years ago. No idea where she is now, never regretted it.

A year or two ago I stumbled on a UK carded "Strawberry Fair" and somehow managed to win her for a very reasonable price. I guess the card didn't matter to the other bidders as much as it did to me (since the US carded one is quite cheap, her price on UK card didn't skyrocket).

So now I have the pony from my childhood memory, with the right card and the right name. And "Sugarberry" is out there somewhere being appreciated much more than I could have done.

I don't have a photo of my original to hand, though I do have some pictures of US carded ponies I later sold somewhere at home (on actual photos. Yes, that old, that they're actual processed photos O.O not digital ones). But I figure everyone knows the US card for this set, they're quite common - it's white.

And this is the more recent replacement :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
There are a couple of ponies I've got in lots that I don't feel fit with my collection, but none that I've purposefully bought. I always plan which ponies I'm going to buy reallly carefully for this reason

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
I wouldn't say regret. I suppose my example would be years ago, when I was trying to get MOC versions of my childhood ponies (which I still am), I bought a MOC "Sugarberry" - ie on US card. And I had her for a good few years, but I could not accept her as the pony I grew up with, because the card was different and the name was wrong. So I ended up selling her maybe ten years ago. No idea where she is now, never regretted it.

A year or two ago I stumbled on a UK carded "Strawberry Fair" and somehow managed to win her for a very reasonable price. I guess the card didn't matter to the other bidders as much as it did to me (since the US carded one is quite cheap, her price on UK card didn't skyrocket).

So now I have the pony from my childhood memory, with the right card and the right name. And "Sugarberry" is out there somewhere being appreciated much more than I could have done.

I don't have a photo of my original to hand, though I do have some pictures of US carded ponies I later sold somewhere at home (on actual photos. Yes, that old, that they're actual processed photos O.O not digital ones). But I figure everyone knows the US card for this set, they're quite common - it's white.

And this is the more recent replacement :)

I'm so glad you got her again :)
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Never had any where I ended up liking them less, but I've definitely had instances of buying ponies I felt more neutral about and ended up absolutely adoring them. G3 Wysteria for example, I had seen her countless times through photos online and thought she was cute, and when I ended up getting her for a few bucks at the antique mall I totally fell in love with her color scheme seeing it in person. This has happened with a few ponies.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
SS Magic Star, for a swap. I regretted not keeping her myself.

Baby Brothers. I don't like how they look in photos, as much as I love the Big Brothers, but when I got Baby Leaper for Christmas, I realized how adorable he was in person. I'd though my sister's Baby Paws was just an outlier because I was used to him.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Yeah, I don't care too much for the baby brother pose with hooves actually? Looks weird to me.
Shoreline I just got recently to complete my Sunshine Ponies (I gotta clean her then I'll make a brag post hehe) and I delayed getting her because she just reminded me too much of Merriweather. Now that I have her she is absolutely charming in her own way. 

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Taffeta, I love your MOC Strawberry Fair. :lovey: *grabby hands*

For me it was Beachball. In pictures she didn’t appeal to me but when I bought one for a friend I hard a hard time sending her to her new home. Last year I was able to get a Beachball. :)

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
My first Spanish pony... mind you, I love walking pose, but Posey had some serious Linda Blair issues... (loose head to neckline and just not proportionate at all.) You could gently move her and her head would spin. Only Nirvana I have ever parted with. Other than her, I like all my ponies, even though many are flawed.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
To me, Snowflake was just a set completer but now she's one of my favourites
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
I mainly seem to like them more after I get a pony. I dont have any regrets or I try to stay with that frame in mind. :)

Offline Squirtsquirt

• Trade Count: (+235)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Honestly, I'd have to say Sweet Scoops.  I bought her years ago, and actually for a reasonable price compared to now (I want to say I got her for $175).  I really didn't like her as much as I thought I would and sold her pretty quickly.  Didn't really regret it, except to think if I'd kept her a few years, I could've sold her for more. :)
Thanks to Whippetluv for my awsome persona pony!!

Offline Sukey

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Sometimes I have to see the pony in person before I’m like wow that’s a really pretty pony. I recently added Sweet Tooth and she wasn’t one that I specifically sought out. I happened to see her at a convention and really liked her color combination and of course the pose, too!  This has happened with quite a few that I under-appreciated until I saw them.

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
I've never really had a pony that I've liked less, but there have been a few that have grown on me :)

I found Forget Me Not at a thrift store and almost didn't buy her because she was wingless (what was I thinking, G1s are so rare where I live!) but I ended up getting her. At first, I didn't like her expression, but with her other flutters, she looks so pretty.

Baby Lickety Split was one of my first ponies when I started collecting. I found her at an antique mall, and, though her eyes creeped me out a little, she was a G1, so I got her :) She eventually grew on me and is now sporting a tutu on my shelf.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal