collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "The Point of No Return" FiM S9 Ep5 Discussion  (Read 3503 times)

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
"The Point of No Return" FiM S9 Ep5 Discussion
« on: April 29, 2019, 09:44:38 AM »
Well, I was kinda hoping someone else would post the discussion since I was gone all weekend but here it is anyway.

Official Synopsis:
"Twilight realizes she never returned a book to the Canterlot Library and may have caused her favorite librarian to lose her job."

Episode Summary:
Our favorite clumsy mailman, Muffin, comes to the School of Friendship to deliver a big box to Twilight. Turns out Twilight had left a few things behind when she moved from Canterlot to Ponyville, so Celestia has kindly mailed them to her. Among the box of interesting objects (notably a "G1 Starswirl figure") is a book that Twilight never returned to the Canterlot library. Now it's way overdue!

Twilight laments that she has (or had) a perfect library record. So perfect she has a giant portrait of herself in the library. We get a flashback to the pilot episode to see how the book got lost (slipped under a desk). So now Twilight is determined to return the overdue book, and heads to Canterlot. After some sneaking around they make it inside and she is recognized immediately by the current librarian. She finds out that her favorite librarian, Dusty Pages, is no longer working there. They return the book anyway, and it turns out it has been overdue for so long that Twilight has to visit "The Grossly Overdue Book Return Office for Ponies Who Should Know Better" in the basement. Unfortunately, First Folio is at lunch and they can't return the book. So they head off to Restaurant Row to find her and run into Moondancer, who happens to be having lunch with First Folio. Twilight informs them she is actually looking for Dusty Pages, but she left moons ago. According to First Folio, she had been forced to leave after her perfect record was ruined by an un-returned library book. Twilight is horrified, believing it's all her fault.

Twilight rushes out of the library and heads to Dusty Pages home, hoping it will get her favorite librarian her job back. When they get to her home they find out she has moved. The current resident gives her a hint on where to go but doesn't know the exact address, so he gives Twilight a giant bag of mail and kicks her out the door. We have a little montage of Twilight trying to find the "Silver Something" that Dusty Pages now lives at. Turns out they were looking for a retirement home, "Silver Stables". Twilight thinks the place looks miserable and bookless. She asks the receptionist about Dusty Pages and is directed to her apartment, but Dusty is currently gone. Twilight begins asking around, determined to find her as quickly as possible. Turns out Dusty is pretty busy with activities like painting, band practice, and theater. We get another montage of Twilight being lead all over the retirement community trying to find Dusty. Finally they find her at band practice, rocking out on an acoustic guitar. Twilight rudely interrupts, still thinking Dusty is miserable. Dusty is very surprised to see her and thanks her for bringing the mail. Twilight apologizes to her, which she doesn't understand, and reveals it was her that never returned the library book that broke Dusty's perfect record. Twilight offers her the book to return but Dusty refuses and angrily heads off with her mail.

Twilight doesn't understand why Dusty won't return to the library, and her late fee is growing with every second she wastes. Dusty's aggression caught Twilight off guard, and Spike has to coax her into finding her again to figure out what really happened. This leads them to interrupting a "Squish Food Fight Tournament" that Dusty was spectating from up a tree. Twilight asks for another chance to talk and Dusty accepts, seeing how serious Twilight is. The princess apologizes once more and says she's determined to do anything to make it up to her, even if it means never checking out a book again. Dusty laughs, she had never been upset with Twilight at all. Dusty had been suffering under the idea of perfection, so when Twilight never returned her book it made her realize how much unnecessary pressure she had put on herself, and she left on her own. Being away from the library and the idea of being perfect has given her plenty of opportunities to learn new things and enjoy them no matter if she "fails" or not.

The book is accidentally damaged when fruit is thrown at it. Now it will be stained, but otherwise okay. Dusty stops and asks if Twilight had ever even read the book, and she embarrassingly reveals she hadn't. She wipes away the gunk to reveal the title of the book "Perfection: The Impossible Pursuit". Dusty and Spike laugh at the irony.

Twilight and Spike return to the library and meet with First Folio to finally return the book and face the massive late fee. Turns out, the late fee caps at a month, meaning Twilight only owes the library 28 bits. Unfortunately, her "Perfect Book Borrower" portrait will have to be removed. After a begrudging acceptance, Twilight is given permission to take the book home (the copy had already been replaced long ago) as a reminder of the experience.

-----

Another Twilight being Twilight episode. Don't make assumptions, and remember that mistakes happen.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline OleGrayMane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • A Third Act Pony
    • View Profile
Re: "The Point of No Return" FiM S9 Ep5 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 09:46:29 AM »
I really liked the first act: a couple of laugh out loud moments for me.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 12:52:53 PM »
Among the box of interesting objects (notably a "G1 Starswirl figure")

What!

Anyone got a screenshot? Or is it just mentioned in dialogue?

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 01:43:35 PM »
I thought it was really cute and fun. Not liking the rapid return to slice of life fluff amidst the last season, as I have mentioned before. But I have nothing bad to say about this one. Felt a lot like an earlier season episode with a message that wasn't too hamfisted. I watched it before going to sleep and it put me in a good and relaxed mood. That's how I like my FiM ;)

Also, I need to add that I was happy to see Pretzel again :lol:

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 06:04:44 PM »
I loved the “G1” reference!  The figure is a toy of G4 Starswirl the Bearded,  the wizard from the show.  But she refers to it as her “G1 Starswirl figure”.  I foresee G1 customs of Starswirl the bearded incoming.

As someone who works in a public library, I spent a lot of this episode rolling my eyes.  But it’s refreshing to think of someone being that conscientious.  I spend too much time arguing with people who don’t think they should have to pay their fines.

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 06:47:49 PM »
Among the box of interesting objects (notably a "G1 Starswirl figure")

What!

Anyone got a screenshot? Or is it just mentioned in dialogue?

He doesn't look like a G1 but still a nice shout out  :)
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 02:15:04 AM »
Speaking of Twilight and her G1 figure, looking back at the show, they brought in a bunch of G1 and G3 characters,  concepts or shoutouts.

Gusty and Firefly being historical figures, lots of G3 ponies and three G1 villains (is Smooze a villain?) getting recycled, Breezies and sea ponies returning to the MLP universe and the M6 being based on G1 ponies in the first place... it's like G4 had to borrow a lot of good ideas from previous MLP while all the other gens just recycled the names but always had their own thing going on.

I wonder if the next gen will reference not just G4 heavily but bring back even more previous stuff. Like, I haven't given up hope that one day they will bring in something from G2 (Rarity's temporary butterfly wings don't count) :lol:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 02:18:17 AM by Zapper »

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 03:31:16 AM »
While this was fun and all, are we sure we want to hand Equestria over to this walking short circuit?
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 04:28:35 AM »
I loved the “G1” reference!  The figure is a toy of G4 Starswirl the Bearded,  the wizard from the show.  But she refers to it as her “G1 Starswirl figure”.  I foresee G1 customs of Starswirl the bearded incoming.

As someone who works in a public library, I spent a lot of this episode rolling my eyes.  But it’s refreshing to think of someone being that conscientious.  I spend too much time arguing with people who don’t think they should have to pay their fines.
As someone who also works in a public library, I should probably watch this one. It's rare but we do get people who return books that are mega overdue, we also get those who forget that they bought a book from our book sale and they return it as a normal library book xD
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 06:59:12 AM »
I was gonna post but didn't wanna step on any toes. I'd be happy to post next time you need to dip out for the weekend!  :P
I enjoyed this episode? It was good. Not much to say on it. Seeing unicorn Twilight again makes me think she was just a teenager when she went over to Ponyville, or at least a very young adult. She seems much more adultish now.
The season 1 animation was noticeable, too. I get that it doesn't make sense to re-animate what has already been animated but that was fairly obvious. Nice to see how much the animation has improved!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 07:24:20 AM »
The season 1 animation was noticeable, too. I get that it doesn't make sense to re-animate what has already been animated but that was fairly obvious. Nice to see how much the animation has improved!

I did not even notice that. Now I want to watch again and compare. Coming from the movie to the 8th season was a mini shock to me :lol: TB Harmony >>>> Flash. But the show animation sure got more fluid as time went on. Probably because Hasbro only wanted to invest minimal money when FiM first came out :pout:

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 03:00:03 PM »

Gusty and Firefly being historical figures, lots of G3 ponies and three G1 villains (is Smooze a villain?) getting recycled, Breezies and sea ponies returning to the MLP universe and the M6 being based on G1 ponies in the first place... it's like G4 had to borrow a lot of good ideas from previous MLP while all the other gens just recycled the names but always had their own thing going on.
The Firefly reference was an accident, it was confirmed as a shout out to Lauren, as her screen name is "Fyreflye" (though it's obviously based on her favorite pony, so it's still an... indirect shout out to G1 Firefly, I guess), but it is a nice touch that they call back to previous generations - I love when new versions show awareness of their roots.

I may not exactly agree with how they choose to do certain things like Breezies, The Smooze (which is at least something that is used by villains, if not a villain itself) and to a lesser extent Sea Ponies (in that I actually liked what G4 did, even if I wouldn't have changed them myself), but it is still nice that it at least is aware of what came before it, and in some places took inspiration from it.

I wonder if the next gen will reference not just G4 heavily but bring back even more previous stuff. Like, I haven't given up hope that one day they will bring in something from G2 (Rarity's temporary butterfly wings don't count) :lol:
Sorry to mention this, but... you've basically described my fanseries to some extent.  I know it's not official (and not the next gen), but it pretty much does what you have said, while still being it's own thing.

Yes, I do aim to include G2 at some point.  I saw Rarity's wings as a Flutter Pony reference myself (they are G1, of course), but that was just what I thought.

EDIT: Just remembered I have already included a shout out to G2, but I still aim to include some ponies from it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 03:06:56 PM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 09:43:02 AM »
I had to pause the episode and WHEEZE when she pulled out her "G1 Starswirl" and explain briefly to my bf that G1 and G3 Starswirl exist but that all 3 Starswirls are very different. I love small references like that because if you don't get it, you don't feel like you're missing anything. Also it was nice to see Moondancer again. I also explained to my bf how frequently G1 Moondancer tends to yellow and he said it was absolutely on purpose that G4 Moondancer is slightly yellow.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 03:52:41 AM »
I thought this was a really great episode!!
I've always loved Twilight's more nerdy, neurotic side, so I was so happy to see that again! I've always liked Twilight's season 1 personality best, so I'm always thrilled to see her snark and sarcasm come back. :) There were a lot of fun call backs to earlier seasons and fan favorite characters too! I think this is what the 100th episode could have been if it hadn't been so in your face with fan references....
Also, did anyone else feel like the backgrounds were exceptionally beautiful in this episode? That little town Twilight visited trying to find Dusty Pages is maybe my new dream place to live. :P The retirement community was also really pretty and it made me happy that they made it look like the older folks in equestria get a fun, active retirement. Dusty Pages and her band were too cute!

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 05:05:32 AM »
Hmmm... to be honest, I felt the "Slice of Life" references were mostly subtle or at least not in your face (bringing the Lebowski ponies to the foreground seemed forced, but I don't rate that as a fandom thing), while actually saying G1 seems more in your face to me, because it's giving the ponies a terminology they don't used, and seems like a blatant fandom thing to me, albeit this fandom, not the brony fandom.

Each to their own, but that's how it seems to me.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 05:08:29 AM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal