collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "The Point of No Return" FiM S9 Ep5 Discussion  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: "The Point of No Return" FiM S9 Ep5 Discussion
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2019, 10:13:12 AM »
Hmmm... to be honest, I felt the "Slice of Life" references were mostly subtle or at least not in your face (bringing the Lebowski ponies to the foreground seemed forced, but I don't rate that as a fandom thing), while actually saying G1 seems more in your face to me, because it's giving the ponies a terminology they don't used, and seems like a blatant fandom thing to me, albeit this fandom, not the brony fandom.

Each to their own, but that's how it seems to me.

Saying "G1" when referring to a collectible toy from a franchise is not an MLP fandom only thing. Almost every toy collector uses this terminology and Twilight is a collector (books) and also a history nerd/fangirl. It was just a cute thing to do in the show because MLP in itself is a collector thing.
It's like in Kung Fu Panda when Po has action dolls of the Furious Five because he idolizes them.

But all of a sudden making the brown BG pony the actual Timelord and the animation error BG pony his sidekick is something that makes no sense in the show's universe whatsoever and came completely out of left field just to appease the adult fans that came up with this forced Dr. Who crossover.
"Wow a pony has an hourglass for a symbol! An hourglass is almost like a Tardis!" said no casual viewer ever :P

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2019, 01:16:16 PM »
Didn't we adopt the "G1"/"G2"/etc terminology from the Transformers fandom, anyway?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2019, 02:45:58 PM »
Fair enough, I tend to forget that "G for Generation" is used for things other than My Little Pony, but you are right to point that out.

I could be biased towards the Doctor Whooves thing due to nostalgia/sentiment, but I felt they handled it well, in that I could imagine being someone who had no idea about the fandom thing, or someone who had no idea about Doctor Who and just thinking "Okay, this is the personality they gave this background pony." but that is ultimately just a guess.

It seemed subtle enough for me, because they did well to keep most of the Doctor Who references to "You'll get them if you know them" (I assume, I'm only a casual viewer of Doctor Who), they didn't even outright say he was a Timelord from what I remember, they just gave him enough time-related dialogue, so you could imagine he was one if you wanted to, didn't they?  It has been a while though...

I respect your views.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2019, 11:46:32 AM »
*sigh* This was basically Lesson Zero part 2 and why go through all the fuss of an overdue book when the person that gave you the book in the first place no longer works there? just say you're returning it and things should be fine.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2019, 03:36:11 PM »
I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would. Although I had already figured out early on

Spoiler

That Twilight was making the return of the library book a much bigger deal than it was really going to turn out to be and that she didn't cost Dusty Pages her job. 

It was nice to see Moondancer again although I wish she would get rid of the frayed sweater and I love the G1 Starswirl figure. I took it to mean that it was figure of Starswirl released long before he returned to Eqestria and I think Luna and Celestia were the only ponies that had acutally met him.

The only thing that seemed a little off is how no ever mentioned to Twilight that the book was overdue before Celestia sent it to her. Twilight's well known in Canterlot and makes frequent visits there everyone knows she's the Princess of Friendship so it doesn't make sense that no one would mention it on her trips to Canterlot.

Ponyfan

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2019, 03:58:43 PM »
The only thing that seemed a little off is how no ever mentioned to Twilight that the book was overdue before Celestia sent it to her. Twilight's well known in Canterlot and makes frequent visits there everyone knows she's the Princess of Friendship so it doesn't make sense that no one would mention it on her trips to Canterlot.

Ponies seem to disrespect Twilight in general. They don't treat her like a princess and some of her library friends probably started to hate her after she got wings her "my flaws make me perfect" song :lol:

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2019, 07:46:11 PM »
I just watched this one last night and I was surprised at how cute and simple it was! I also just adored Dusty Pages and her little lesson about perfectionism. She was such a sweet pony!

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2019, 11:32:30 PM »
I enjoyed this episode okay. But this is another prime example of an episode that could have been told in 11 minutes. Two lengthy montages were needed to pad it out.
I do like Dusty Pages though. But I do wish we got more Moon Dancer.
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal