collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you think MLP will ever attempt Dream Beauties again?  (Read 4671 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Do you think MLP will ever attempt Dream Beauties again?
« on: April 29, 2019, 02:31:14 AM »
I’ve always wondered why Dream Beauties didn’t stick around... Or at the very least, why Hasbro has never tried to revive/reboot them. Sales are the obvious reason, but it strikes me as odd that they were never big sellers. I’ve always partially attributed that to the time they were introduced: towards the tail end of G1.

I feel like there’s a real gap in the toy market for something like Dream Beauties, Fashion Star Fillies, etc... The closest thing I can think of that’s on shelves today would be Schleich’s fantasy horses and Breyer’s occasional dabbling in unicorns. A few years back there was “Pony Royale”, which reminded me a little of Dream Beauties, but it didn’t last.

What are some of you guys’ opinions on why these lines have never seen the broad, lasting success of the main MLP brand? Price point? Durability? Aesthetic?
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think MLP will ever attempt Dream Beauties again?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 03:06:37 AM »
I had to google these....now I want them.

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 03:32:08 AM »
They always reminded me of Barbie Horses. I can't see them fitting in with the G4 or 4.5 style, but with G5 just around the corner, who knows.

Offline Strawberrysweets

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Like a strawberry, I'm sweet but I can be sour too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 04:02:09 AM »
In a way they were kinda in the G4 show; https://mlp.fandom.com/wiki/Saddle_Arabia_delegates
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Icon by Minty_Magic

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 04:21:12 AM »
I would be ecstatic if they brought back fashion star fillies, not so much dream beauties tho!

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 04:29:25 AM »
They likely won't attempt them again, I think. Hasbro has a tendency to forget some things existed... especially when they didn't last very long.

I would love, however, to see them do something like Dream Beauties or even their never made Irresistibles.

Fashion Star Fillies were sold in the 1980s by Kenner before that company was acquired by Hasbro in 1991. Dream Beauties were created after that so... I think in a since Fashion Star Fillies inspired Dream Beauties a little
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 04:59:51 AM »
I imagine DBs were Hasbro's attempt to steal some of the FSF market.

I am not sure how popular they were.

They appear in the 1990 catalogue from Hasbro for the UK but they didn't come out here so clearly nobody took them up. FSF on the other hand were quite common over here back then and I've seen many over the years at carboot sales. I used to have quite a few, all picked up there - but only ever once found a DB at a UK carboot sale (which was probably a fluke).

And they cancelled the next line of this style of pony without producing it, didn't they? I forget their name, but there was another like like this.

I think they experimented but went back to their sure fire seller, rather than trying to compete. And probably, there are enough established 'horse mould' toys even now that they wouldn't see it as profitable.

...I doubt durability mattered, given the fact there were 2 years of flutter ponies >.>
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 05:17:16 AM »
I've come to appreciate Dream Beauties more as an adult than I did as a child. In my childhood herd I had Song Rider but she didn't get as much play time as my regular MLP toys and I don't remember playing with her much after I used all of her perfume. I think part of the reason Dream Beauties didn't last very long were they were too big compared to other MLP toys (same problem with petite ponies being too small) and Hasbro promoting them as "All Grown Up My Little Ponies"

I found one DB ad on Youtube but the it's very low quality with distorted sound.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 05:40:47 AM »
I'm trying to remember if there are DB ads on the vhs of commercials I got from Kim years and years ago. The All Grown Up MLP thing strikes a chord, so maybe I do. Though I don't have the tech to put it onto a PC. It's more complicated to do because of the NTSC/PAL format....
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 06:33:09 AM »

I think they experimented but went back to their sure fire seller, rather than trying to compete. And probably, there are enough established 'horse mould' toys even now that they wouldn't see it as profitable.

I'd guess this.
 and plenty suitable for customising whether that be fantasy horses or models of 'real-life' horses.

MLP have always had a different and iconic shape.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 06:57:01 AM »
The ad on Youtube only shows the Sweet Perfume Beauties and the Showtime Beauties. At the beginning are "real" pastel horses.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 06:58:12 AM »
Idk if this is relevant but researching both Dream Beauties and Fashion Star Fillies, I would say I understand why DB failed compared to FSF.

FSF was all in all better, the colour schemes matched, the hair was beautiful, they didn't rely on gimmicks, their ponies had some backstory (not in the form of a story) their faces were a bit more stylised but still fitted with them overall. They came with more than just a comb and ribbon.

This may be more of an opinion but they're like actually grounded more in reality (i.e ones a mysterious Arabian from Paris, instead of a pony that takes girls from their world into ponyland) like with me, I would imagine me being in ponyland but with FSF I could imagine them popping up in a horse show in like the real world.

Why I believe DB failed, their horses just had regular straight hair, they had less appealing designs and their colours were a mixed bag, they had like a few temporary gimmicks. Perfume ponies would eventually run out of perfume cream, the trim n grow ponies might be subjected to real scissors and the other 4 didn't have any gimmick that would stand out.

The absolute biggest thing is there's no character, no story about their line or about them, they only had names while FSF had Jolene, Chloe, Tamara who had a story. The characters are important to sell, the best example is G4 with the mane 6.

Edit: Like there's only 1 DB I want while there's several FSFs I want, so to me that's an indicator to me.

Idk it's just my 5 cents on it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 07:00:27 AM by freezestime »
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 07:00:11 AM »
One never knows with Hasbro.

Post Merge: April 29, 2019, 07:01:15 AM

I would be ecstatic if they brought back fashion star fillies, not so much dream beauties tho!

So would I. I wanted them so badly as a kid, never had any. Maybe we should try putting a bug in Basic Fun's ear?

Post Merge: April 29, 2019, 07:01:48 AM

They likely won't attempt them again, I think. Hasbro has a tendency to forget some things existed... especially when they didn't last very long.

I would love, however, to see them do something like Dream Beauties or even their never made Irresistibles.

Fashion Star Fillies were sold in the 1980s by Kenner before that company was acquired by Hasbro in 1991. Dream Beauties were created after that so... I think in a since Fashion Star Fillies inspired Dream Beauties a little

What were Irresistibles?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 07:01:48 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 07:03:37 AM »
The trim and grow beauties were, I think, sold WITH scissors. Certainly there's a very disturbing image in the Hasbro catalogue I have which shows "How to cut the pony's hair!" so trim and grow was not coincidental. I guess you vandalise your pony then put in the other plugs? I dunno. Very bad design idea.

There are some really beautiful FSF ponies. I got rid of most of mine but I do have one with the fancy patterns on her body. I think she's a teal kind of shade. Those are very pretty.

I always had FSF on my birthday and Christmas lists as well as MLP. I never had any, only MLP. I wonder what my family would have done if DBs had happened here..."Yay, MLP + FSF! Two in one!" possibly..?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 07:04:33 AM »
The trim and grow beauties were, I think, sold WITH scissors. Certainly there's a very disturbing image in the Hasbro catalogue I have which shows "How to cut the pony's hair!" so trim and grow was not coincidental. I guess you vandalise your pony then put in the other plugs? I dunno. Very bad design idea.

There are some really beautiful FSF ponies. I got rid of most of mine but I do have one with the fancy patterns on her body. I think she's a teal kind of shade. Those are very pretty.

I always had FSF on my birthday and Christmas lists as well as MLP. I never had any, only MLP. I wonder what my family would have done if DBs had happened here..."Yay, MLP + FSF! Two in one!" possibly..?

Sounds like your girl might be Devan. 

http://www.fashionstarfillies.com/fancy/devan.htm
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal