collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you let the kiddies play?

Yes, toys are meant to be played with
2 (4.2%)
No. Look, but don't touch
24 (50%)
Depends on the kid
22 (45.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Do you let kids play with your toy collections?  (Read 6734 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Do you let kids play with your toy collections?
« on: April 28, 2019, 07:26:03 AM »
For the most part yes. My daughter and I played when she was younger and most of my little cousins are, for the most part, respectful of my rules.

1) Don't be rough
2) Ask first
3) Do not take any toy without permission
4) Certain toys are off limits i.e grand champions, breyers, customs, more complex transformers.

I have only had one cousin, and I have np saying he's a little turd, because he is such a turd in every way that counts, get banned from my toys.

I let him borrow some rescue bots to play with and he was fine. Later, he snuck into my room, grabbed two of my grand champions and when he saw me, threw them on the floor and ran. I picked up my horses, grabbed him, yelled at him and told him he was not allowed in my room anymore.

Before any of you say I was being too harsh, he had already been banned from playing with my daughter's toys for stealing and breaking them on purpose. As well as one of her boardgames and one of her dvds.

The other kids are fine. They wanna fire up skylanders, or play with my schleich, rescue bots or mlps, yeah. They can do that.

[moving to Toy Box ~ Kiwi]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 05:20:59 PM by Kiwi »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Do you let kids play with your toy collections?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 07:41:32 AM »
It's a hypothetical answer for me but I think I would probably only let kids play with later gen ponies. Though not for reasons of value or whatever. More because I don't know if the plastic degeneration might hurt them. And I have a lot of g3 and g4 ponies around who would like to be played with sometimes :)

I have sold ponies at carboot sales and I love seeing kids buy them.

I think it does depend though on kids treating toys properly. My sister is planning to buy her boyfriend's niece a pony for her birthday this year (she's three) and she's having fun deciding which one to get for her...I think kids should be allowed to enjoy ponies but also taught to take care of their property as it costs someone money and thus needs to be valued. That's an important lesson in itself. I see some really wrecked ponies at sales...I would've probably shaved my head as a kid before I thought of cutting the hair of my ponies, let alone scribbling on them :/
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 07:50:40 AM »
Aww I'm sure she'll love her first mlp!

And I just realized I put this in the wrong forum.  :redface:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 07:53:59 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 08:14:45 AM »
I don't flinch when my kid picks up the takaras so. :shrug:
As long as there's an understanding that some of the older stuff needs to be handled gently it's not a big deal.

None of the ponies are sticky, but I don't give them to her as a hand me down to always play with because I'm concerned about plastic leakage.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 08:38:12 AM »
It's a moot point for me (no reason for kids to ever come anywhere near my collections), but hypothetically? No, definitely not.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 09:06:46 AM »
I don’t let kids play with my toy collection, I told my friends grandson of when he picked up a custom doll head that was drying and he ruined the face. (Had to throw it away)

I never let him near my ponies because he thought my Shining Armour mini figure was a rubber and he ruined him (need to get another one).

Plus he broke one of my Lego Marvel sets and my fingerlings he held one wrong and it doesn’t move his head now.

I had to hide my fingerlings so that he doesn’t get his hands on them.

Plus he plays with my dog Honey’s toys

He got his blocks here and he should only play with them and not my collections.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:51:10 AM by bright rabbit 1 »

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 09:22:27 AM »
I choose "it depends". There have been kids that were allowed to borrow certain ponies from my collection for their visit but in general, im very reluctant to say I allow kids to play with my ponies.

I sadly have to say, after various negative experieces, one of my house rules is : NOBODY enters my ponyroom without me. Im fed up with others, especially kids, knocking down carefully set up displays, messing hair and accessories, stomping on things and so on. So, nobody is allowed to enter the room alone. Period. My close family may of course ;)
This sounds mean I know, but ... my collection holds things that are VERY important to me, things that are expensive and/or rare or carefully restored and or too delicate to be thrown around or played with. Some things I have searched years or even a decade for. And things with very personal meanings.

When kids come to visit I will always have other toys around that they can play with; toys that are kid safe by current standards and do not come from my collection. I will always have ponies for play <3 and plushies, tehe. And in the basement there are my daughters old toys (shes 15 now and if you ask nicely you may chose from toys like various toy horses, dolls, Barbies, Playmobil, toy cars, Schleich animals, kids books, board games..... ). So I think thats fine :)

Offline Sweet Stuff

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Lil Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 10:11:28 AM »
 No, but it doesn't always get respected.

My niece and nephew came round the other day. They were looking at all of my toys. They started picking up the small accessories of my Shopkins display. And dropped them and knocked them over... I was dying inside.
Similarly. I used to collect ninja turtles. My nephews used to play with them. I would say "Don't open the shells because there are small accessories."

When I wasn't looking they took them all out and I don't know where they all went. I stopped collecting them.

My nephews still come round and do still sort of touch things. It's a nuisance.
Currently looking for: NIP G1 Sweet Stuff.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 10:57:26 AM »
I hate to sound like an old coot (especially since I’m in my twenties), but... When I was a child, I would NEVER have played with something that didn’t belong to me at a friend’s or relative’s house without asking first. The behavior you guys are describing... is just plain horrifying. :shocked:

Leave a Whisper, did your Grand Champions survive the fall? I’m afraid to ask... T_T

Anyway... I have no kids of my own, but I do have a revolving door of younger relatives. With them, it depends on the individual. Quiet, respectful kid who just wants to hug a plushie or gently play with a pony? Sure. Hyperactive brat with no respect for anyone or anything? Not even coming in my home, lol. :P
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 11:11:52 AM »
Yes unless it's MIB/MOC/NRFB and then those tiny things I worry about are up out of reach in our bedroom. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 12:04:52 PM »
Luckily it's not an issue I have to deal with, but if I had kids or young relatives absolutely No. It's an important lesson to teach kids; respecting others property, no means no, and boundries.

My collection is a collection now, no longer meant to play. And like Nemesis said why are kids nowadays just running around doing whatever they want to others property. I would've never!

With Basic Fun's retro ponies I see no need to give vintage toys to children. If they like the look of old ponies they can have their own.

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Tracks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 12:26:31 PM »
I don't have kids but even if I did I would never let them near my collection

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 12:46:42 PM »
Absolutely not, I have some things that are ok to play with, but collection is out of bounds.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 01:37:08 PM »
Don't have kids, but I voted "no", regarding my nieces and nephew who sometimes come over.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 01:40:56 PM »
I wouldn't. I'd be nice and have toys they could play with if I knew in advance, but as it is right now, only one child even comes to our house ever (and not my room), and that is my nephew. He's the only child in my family. Not like my MLPs are displayed anywhere easy to find anyway... I've hid that interest for years.

|My Collection|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal