collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: *~ A couple of star themed customs ~*  (Read 735 times)

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
*~ A couple of star themed customs ~*
« on: April 26, 2019, 03:44:25 AM »
I've been trying to improve my custom skills and made a couple new ponies for practice! :) I didn't really plan on it, but they both ended up having star cutie marks!

The first pony I made is based on this unnamed G3 pegasus from the Friends are Never Far Away special
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

(images taken from My Little Wiki)
I was always so bummed out as a kid that she never got a toy form! She stood out to me a lot more than some of the official characters did! So I decided to finally go ahead and make her myself.

I didn't really do anything too crazy with her. She started off as a G3 fakie who's eyes and symbol I repainted, and then I gave her some new (and extra) hair. :) I placed her yellow stripe a little lower than where I would have liked it, but with her hair being parted it doesn't look as weird.

Next I had been playing around with a pouring technique for another project and wondered if it might work on a pony too. It was a little awkward to work out, but I think I like the end result! She started life as a baity Firefly and Sunbeam who shared some body parts with each other. (I have an alicorn bait waiting for some new life now too ;) )
This is Stargazer!

She was really hard to get a good photo of, because the paint dries with a really glossy finish. Hopefully you can make out some of the marbling in her body!

I wanted her to look a little alien, so I painted her eyes copper and gold. This was also my first time rehairing with tinsel! It's a little bit of a mess, but she definitely needed the extra sparkle. :P

I didn't really know what to do with her cutie mark at first. I originally was just going to do white spots like Cotton Candy, but realized that looked too plain, so I turned them into stars instead.
I like the finish overall that this method produces for a full body recolor. Some lessons learned from it: it dries fairly tacky, so I definitely need some sealer for it. I also need to figure out the best way to let the pony dry. I let Stargazer's body dry with her neck down and feet in the air which created an uneven surface of paint around her neckline. I want to give it another try at some point and see if it looks okay with a solid color, because I really like how easy it is to get a smooth coat of paint with it! :)

Thanks for looking!

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: *~ A couple of star themed customs ~*
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 01:59:01 AM »
They both turned out so well: I particularly like your colour choices  :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal