collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Decided not to bait...  (Read 3755 times)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Decided not to bait...
« on: April 18, 2019, 04:53:10 PM »
I have an boy pony with a partial buzz cut, tail rust, very yellowed, initials on his ear in marker. I was looking for a really rough bait to make a Baby Minty boy, but I've gone and bought the wrong guy I think. I suspect that I could clean him up and he would be passable and not bait. I could tidy up his mane or even re-root the first few plugs and give him a hair do like Lucky.  I often buy baits and they just pile up because I almost always realise I could restore them. The problem is that I'm not sure it's worth the effort. I already have these ponies in much better condition my collection and I'm not sure that anyone else would be interested in adding restored ponies to thier collection. In the past, I've kept a restored a pony then sold my previous one in better condition to save space but I don't want to swap too many more like that especially with hair cuts. I don't think anyone would knowingly buy a nicely restored pony with re-rooted hair, touched up paint or that has been sun faded... or am I wrong?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Decided not to bait...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 05:12:52 PM »
I do think he's pretty cute as is and would rather see him restored.  But for the effort, I don't know if you'd get a decent return.  I personally do like restored ponies over poor condition originals.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 06:26:43 PM »
He'd be perfect for a restore.
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 11:39:59 PM »
I think you can do it and that he will turn out amazing
Lover of Windwhistler

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 01:37:17 AM »
I do think he's pretty cute as is and would rather see him restored.  But for the effort, I don't know if you'd get a decent return.  I personally do like restored ponies over poor condition originals.

Pony stuff never works out a decent return that's for sure, but it's good to know that you like restored ponies over poor condition. I do too but I guess my exception would be super rare ponies or Nirvana where there may not be many/any out there in original condition.

So do you guys think I should restore completely or just re-root the first few plugs (pink) and give him a 'Lucky' style? I have some original pink pony hair hanging about so this would be a really easy option. Or, I could restore completely. I'm inclined to do the Lucky style because then it would be obvious that he's restored and no-one would mistake him for a NM pony. Plus, I like that hair style on the boys, maybe others do too. Realistically I'm going to end up keeping him aren't I lol.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 01:40:55 AM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 04:08:25 PM »
If it were me, I would clean him up and reroot his mane in opposite colors -- green with a pink stripe -- like the UK backcard art. (And then keep him for myself! :lol:)

My personal feelings are that heavy restorations, like re-hairing a whole mane in its original color, don't add any value to a pony -- that pony would still be essentially mane-less in my eyes. At best, I would think of it as a really boring custom. So I wouldn't personally buy a pony with that type of restoration, but I admit my opinions aren't the norm. I think many people would prefer to buy a good restoration over a NM original pony that is more expensive or a poor condition pony that they'd have to restore themselves.

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 06:17:13 AM »
I think any pony is worth restoration

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 07:38:58 AM »
I think any pony is worth restoration

Same here, I restore ponies like my G1 Applejack (Bow Tie pose), and try and get rid of them (this is one pony I’m trying to get rid off)

I had a bait Baby Bro Apple Delight and I was going to die him but being so white (which is a first) I decided to make him into Baby Bro Chief (all I got to do is glue the head on, and do his symbol).

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 09:25:05 PM »
Could you give him like, a slightly different restoration? Since half of his mane is still fine, could you give him a slightly-different shade of pink for his forelock? Or maybe a mint green, change it up a bit? It might make him appeal more to the 'alternate rehair' crowd instead of the strictly-original crowd! Just a thought!

I definitely share your troubles - I've had many 'baits' arrive and they're way too nice for me to feel right about baiting. It's quite a conundrum!!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 09:24:59 AM »
He definitely looks salvageable. I agree, maybe change up his mane green on top pink underneath. He'd probably fare well in some H202 if his body is a bit yellowed. Good luck with whatever path you take with him.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 11:35:47 AM »
Thanks all, I don' have any green hair handy so I think I'm going to go with a partial re-root for the missing pink section and Lucky styling. I'll pop some pictures in when I've finished. 

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 05:34:08 AM »
Thanks all, I don' have any green hair handy so I think I'm going to go with a partial re-root for the missing pink section and Lucky styling. I'll pop some pictures in when I've finished. 
Can't wait to see him once he's all done! :o)

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 12:08:36 PM »
Restore that boy.  <3

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2019, 04:14:56 AM »
So far I've de-rusted him, scrubbed him, re-haired and styled him (little man broke my re-rooting tool) and now he's in the window for three days. I've swapped his tail for another one I found in my bait box, it's had a trim and has more green in it. I thought it made sense for him to have that one since he doesn't have an original mane.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 03:19:57 AM »
So far I've de-rusted him, scrubbed him, re-haired and styled him (little man broke my re-rooting tool) and now he's in the window for three days. I've swapped his tail for another one I found in my bait box, it's had a trim and has more green in it. I thought it made sense for him to have that one since he doesn't have an original mane.

Should of used a safety pin to make the holes bigger, I found out that stops the re-rooting tool from breaking.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal