collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 35 Anniversary Collectors ponies - Thread 3!  (Read 233405 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: 35 Anniversary Collectors ponies - Thread 3!
« Reply #630 on: September 22, 2019, 02:16:47 PM »
Hmmm I wish they would make more G1 rather than G3 but hey...at least they’re making new (old) ponies! They must be selling well.

I am fine if we don't get the G3 here.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 22, 2019, 03:00:49 PM »
Are we going to get other G3s? Or is Hasbro going to short change the line with their stupid obsession? Because that's not what it deserves.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #632 on: September 23, 2019, 12:30:48 AM »
The G3s aren't made by Hasbro, they're made by Basic Fun.  They're a business, so the determining factor will be whether they sell well.  Especially since all their expenses will jump in January when the tariffs go into effect.  If they did make more G3s, though, which ones would you hope for? :)

G3 had a lot of great ponies, but I wonder if it really had fan favorites in the way G1 did.  Like, would my top 10 G3s be the same as anyone else's top 10?  (Aside from probably Minty, due to her fun and goofy personality in the specials.)  From the perspective of "which G3 did most people have as kids", maybe Star Catcher?  She was a Big Deal when she came out and starred in one of the specials.

I'm surprised that they are made by Basic Fun and not Hasbro.

Ponyfan

Not me, from the minute I saw the prototypes I thought the hair was too nice to be from Hasbro. :P
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 01:01:10 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: September 23, 2019, 02:44:11 AM »
I don't have a favourite G3 as such, but the only one I would probably think of buying a retro version of is Kimono.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 23, 2019, 07:28:23 AM »
The G3s aren't made by Hasbro, they're made by Basic Fun.  They're a business, so the determining factor will be whether they sell well.  Especially since all their expenses will jump in January when the tariffs go into effect.  If they did make more G3s, though, which ones would you hope for? :)

G3 had a lot of great ponies, but I wonder if it really had fan favorites in the way G1 did.  Like, would my top 10 G3s be the same as anyone else's top 10?  (Aside from probably Minty, due to her fun and goofy personality in the specials.)  From the perspective of "which G3 did most people have as kids", maybe Star Catcher?  She was a Big Deal when she came out and starred in one of the specials.

Ponyfan

Not me, from the minute I saw the prototypes I thought the hair was too nice to be from Hasbro. :P

I am too, judging by the modus operandi.

And yes G3 certainly does.

Some of the fan favorites seem to be:
Waterfire
Kimono
Star Catcher
Thistle Whistle
Brights Brightly
Forsythia
Tea Leaf
Sunny Daze
Cloud Climber
Whistle Wishes
Minty
Caribbean Delight
The Art Pops
The Fair Ponies
The Holiday/Seasonals
Rainbowdash
Kiwi Tart
Coconut Cream
Coconut Grove
Sunrise Song
Wysteria
Shenanigans
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 07:29:55 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 23, 2019, 07:37:13 AM »
I still have original unboxed G3 ponies in my closet!  :lol: :lol:

I do like the Applejack.  I remember passing on her on Amazon because the set was too expensive.

My favorite G3 are the Autumn and Halloween themed ponies.  I would love to get those brand new.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 23, 2019, 09:59:27 AM »

Ponyfan

I think it's madness to make G3 ponies that look just like the originals who are still easy and cheap to buy.  Sure G3 was popular enough but most of us overdosed when they were releasing hundreds of them- it was just too much at some point!

I think the best thing about the G1 repros is that we are able to get brand new versions of old favorites who have yellowed and become hard to find in perfect condition.

Plus, there is also the worry about the 1980s toys having leeching chemicals- so those of us who have kids we would let play with these feel better about them playing with the newer ponies...

Such a waste when they could have done FLUTTER ponies instead they did the most common G3 ponies?  Sheesh.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #637 on: September 23, 2019, 11:01:58 AM »
Tea Leaf
Sunny Daze
*Perks head up* Was I summoned?
I had no clue Tea Leaf was a favorite. She just so happens to be my namesake by coincidence.  :P
My main issue is that I can pick up the originals MiB in most cases for about the same price, and they come with a charm.
That said I still really do want them. *Shrug*

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #638 on: September 23, 2019, 11:14:09 AM »
Such a waste when they could have done FLUTTER ponies instead they did the most common G3 ponies?  Sheesh.

The flutter ponies weren't wanted by retailers.  They weren't going to happen regardless of whether retro G3s were produced.

I think the G3s are a good choice because their designs are very popular with kids.  Whenever I sell at toy shows, the most popular gens are G4 (because kids watch / like the show) and G3 (because they are cute ponies).  I don't think there are enough MLP collectors to make that much of a difference to sales one way or another.  I drop by Target regularly and the retro G1s sell out quickly.  Who is buying them all?  Not just collectors, because there would be no reason for collectors to buy Confetti again and again and again. :P

Most parents don't go to thrift stores or eBay to buy birthday presents, nor do they want to buy a ratty thrift store G3 that they have to clean up themselves.  They go to a store and look at what's on the shelves.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #639 on: September 23, 2019, 02:38:32 PM »
Yeah, the Flutters didn't happen because stores said they wouldn't pick them up unfortunately. They aren't going to mass produce anything if they have no stores that would be willing to sell them.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: September 23, 2019, 02:45:41 PM »

The flutter ponies weren't wanted by retailers.  They weren't going to happen regardless of whether retro G3s were produced.

I think the G3s are a good choice because their designs are very popular with kids.  Whenever I sell at toy shows, the most popular gens are G4 (because kids watch / like the show) and G3 (because they are cute ponies).  I don't think there are enough MLP collectors to make that much of a difference to sales one way or another.  I drop by Target regularly and the retro G1s sell out quickly.  Who is buying them all?  Not just collectors, because there would be no reason for collectors to buy Confetti again and again and again. :P

Most parents don't go to thrift stores or eBay to buy birthday presents, nor do they want to buy a ratty thrift store G3 that they have to clean up themselves.  They go to a store and look at what's on the shelves.

Okay so Flutters is a bad example.  But ANY other G1.  I think most of the G1 repro ponies are being bought up by moms and grandmas and aunts who see the ponies and think it would be fun to give their kid one to play with (especially since we don't have to worry so much about 30 year old plastic).

I agree with you that G3 ponies are popular with the kids at MLP fairs. But isn't that just because they are bright flashy and cheap?  How much do YOU charge for your old G3s?  Not much I bet.  And how many do you GIVE away?  It happens doesn't it???

Anyway just saying that as a Mom (who is almost old enough to be a granny) I definitely buy the retro G1s for the kids in my life (as well  as for myself,  and... for my sisters) but if I saw the G3s on the shelves I'd be like "Oh, how odd" and keep going. 

G3= cute but no nostalgic value.

Yes there may be younger moms out there who think of G3 as Nostalgic- but let's be honest, the original generation is still the most iconic- even for younger G3 fans.

Admittedly I could be way off base.  Maybe there are heaps of 20-something moms who will buy these for their kids.  I doubt it but hey,  I won't rule out the possibility.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 23, 2019, 02:56:18 PM »
Just because you don't have nostalgia for G3s doesn't mean nobody else does. Its iconic and nostalgic to the kids who grew up loving it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 03:00:26 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: September 23, 2019, 02:57:33 PM »
Well, the one thing that might appeal to them is that these are different from the usual mane 6. And that is a nice change...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: September 23, 2019, 03:03:23 PM »
Sorry to bring the thread backwards.... but what DCPI have people been finding success in locating which stores are getting the two rainbow unicorns for set 2 in the USA? When i put in their individual DCPI I have nothing, but I remember this being the case with previous releases.
What is the overall DCPI for them so I can check stores? Thanks!

As for the G3, I can't wait to find them. Makes me feel so old realizing how "retro" they are now! :D
~Foxtale~

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: September 23, 2019, 03:13:59 PM »
Just because you don't have nostalgia for G3s doesn't mean nobody else does. Its iconic and nostalgic to the kids who grew up loving it.

I knew you would respond this way-   :lol: :lol: :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal