collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 35 Anniversary Collectors ponies - Thread 3!  (Read 232988 times)

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
Re: 35 Anniversary Collectors ponies - Thread 3!
« Reply #540 on: August 22, 2019, 09:58:21 AM »
I want Twinkleeyed ponies
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline StrawberryScoops

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 22, 2019, 11:53:10 AM »
I wonder if the Flutter Ponies weren’t picked up because they were packaged a set and the sets don’t sell as well. I wonder if they were sold to be sold individually if it would have been a different story.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #542 on: August 22, 2019, 12:16:35 PM »
I wonder if the wings were an issue.  From the pics, it looked like Basic Fun was trying to buff up the wings on the prototypes.  But I don't feel like that would actually help much.  They just have a really bad stress point where the wing meets the body.  It's just part of the design.

I feel like parents are more proactive about getting refunds for broken toys than they were in the 80s, when a lot of parents had more of a "who cares if your toy broke. Suck it up, kid" attitude.  Maybe the retailers foresaw lots of angry parents demanding refunds.  I absolutely love the flutter ponies (I had three as a kid) but their engineering sucks.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 22, 2019, 01:04:24 PM »
I had Honeysuckle and Yum Yum (also Rosedust but her wings were already broken off before I got her.)   When I got the Birthday Party set and opened Yum Yum I was extra careful when I pushed the button to make her wings flap but they broke off anyway. I was always really careful with my toys so I know now that it was a design flaw. 

I have yet to see Confetti or the rest of her set where I live. When my Target restocked last time they had the Earth Ponies and the 1st set of unscented Rainbow Ponies.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 22, 2019, 01:29:56 PM »
Oh I have mixed feelings about the flutterponies no-show.  A little disappointed and relieved because I know I would have been tempted to get them all.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #545 on: August 22, 2019, 01:36:13 PM »
Oh I have mixed feelings about the flutterponies no-show.  A little disappointed and relieved because I know I would have been tempted to get them all.

I guess they could have done them as a 'collector' set...but honestly I didn't want them to meddle with the wings. As LM said, it's not like making them thicker would make them stronger overall, with the flutter motion, and thicker plastic would ruin the beauty of the wings anyway...so for me, better not attempted.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MimicPower

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 22, 2019, 02:05:35 PM »
What a disappointment  -_- :( :cry: ... I was looking forward to getting the Flutter Ponies.
It seems that Basic Fun has definitely ruled them out. A pity, they would have had very good sales.

Online brightberry

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 22, 2019, 02:35:27 PM »
What a disappointment  -_- :( :cry: ... I was looking forward to getting the Flutter Ponies.
It seems that Basic Fun has definitely ruled them out. A pity, they would have had very good sales.
Well, it would be the retailers who decided.  It sounds like Basic Fun offered them but didn't get any bites.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Shileah

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #548 on: August 23, 2019, 01:50:32 AM »
I'd have loved to have them, too. Who knows, maybe some time down the road we still get them as collector's set. I'm not giving up hope yet!

I really hope for Twinkle Eyes. It would be too awesome to have an actually white Gingerbread, and a pink Galaxy without regrind!
Specifically looking for G1 with pen markings similar to this (my initials - W.S.):

Instagram

Offline Wonderfalls

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 23, 2019, 04:56:08 AM »
I recently bought Tickle and Trickles, and I'm so thoroughly impressed with these reproductions. Basic Fun have done a masterful job at replicating them!

Alas, since I live in Australia these ponies cost about 3 times more than RRP (when I factor in shipping etc). So I've restricted myself to only buying just these two. If I lived in the USA or UK... geez... I'd probably have bought the entire second rainbow collection!

Hopefully Basic Fun will eventually sort out some distribution deal in Australia. Either way, I'm reminding myself to be grateful that these even exist... and that I managed to snare two of them :-)  :frolic:

Offline Ephany

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 23, 2019, 06:40:54 AM »
I went to a conference over the weekend and since there was a Target near the conference I decided to check for ponies.  I didn't see any but as people have been reporting toy changeups I decided to ask an employee.  He told me that they no longer carry the retro ponies.  So Layton, Utah people, you might have to check Riverdale.  I didn't make it to Riverdale to check there.  I might have to start ordering these online.

I wonder if he meant we don't have any of those rather than Target won't be carrying any?

I have a friend who works at Target too, and she is definitely not privy to what may be coming down the pipe from the buyer or when something is or is not cancelled...  unless you spoke to a manager or someone who is really in the "know" I wouldn't panic yet... ?

He said they no longer carry them, but he wasn't a manager so maybe they're just between shipments.  I was very disappointed because any Target for me is an hour+ away so it isn't like I can just pop down whenever I feel like to check.

I checked a few Targets in Jacksonville, Florida yesterday. At the Regency store, a young lady was kind enough to check the back for me. She said the retro endcap was still in the planogram and that her manager said all the retro stuff had been pulled to make more room for the clearance toys. They were planning on putting it back soon. The Towncenter store had earth ponies which I hadn't seen in a few months and they still had their endcap. Yulee's endcap was gone, no ponies. Jacksonville Beach still had their endcap also. :)

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 23, 2019, 10:18:49 AM »
The little newsagent at my local precinct has had more ponies in - I saw 3x new Tickles among the herd, so they must have had at least 3 boxes delivered! No Pinwheel (yet).

September approaches... *taps foot impatiently*

Surprise and Gusty, I'm also waiting for you!!  :lol:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 10:21:17 AM by glitterball »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #552 on: August 23, 2019, 11:45:06 AM »
The little newsagent at my local precinct has had more ponies in - I saw 3x new Tickles among the herd, so they must have had at least 3 boxes delivered! No Pinwheel (yet).

September approaches... *taps foot impatiently*

Surprise and Gusty, I'm also waiting for you!!  :lol:

The creepy pony stalker in her dark glasses behind the shelves, watching the pony one intently as the unpackers unpack.

I very much doubt I will get to see Pin and Star in stores as I won't be in London in September :(

But my local JL has been breeding Tickle consistently for the last 3 months and very little else, so...maybe that's all they're sending out.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 23, 2019, 11:55:45 AM »
I wonder if the wings were an issue.  From the pics, it looked like Basic Fun was trying to buff up the wings on the prototypes.  But I don't feel like that would actually help much.  They just have a really bad stress point where the wing meets the body.  It's just part of the design.

I feel like parents are more proactive about getting refunds for broken toys than they were in the 80s, when a lot of parents had more of a "who cares if your toy broke. Suck it up, kid" attitude.  Maybe the retailers foresaw lots of angry parents demanding refunds.  I absolutely love the flutter ponies (I had three as a kid) but their engineering sucks.

My guess is the breakable wings (even buffed up wings) and the sad fact that if they make the wings thick enough to not break at the touch of a finger, they just don't look like the original wings- and the whole point of Basic Fun's ponies is to cash in on retro nostalgia- so that doesn't work if the pony looks different.

Guess we will have to rely on repro wings and ponies on ebay!  I'm okay with that so long as Basic Fun keeps cranking out other ponies :D 

I do really hope they consider some of the gimmicky ponies like so soft and twinkle eyes....

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 24, 2019, 11:07:01 AM »
Just stopped at my Target.  They are putting the retro toys end cap back up and there is a set of the 2nd Rainbows though no sign yet of Starflower or Pinwheel.  There is also a set of the 2nd Earth ponies in the regular MLP section.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal