collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 35 Anniversary Collectors ponies - Thread 3!  (Read 232842 times)

Offline Wind~Whistler

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • You got a twinkle in your eyes!
    • View Profile
Re: 35 Anniversary Collectors ponies - Thread 3!
« Reply #450 on: July 30, 2019, 11:19:06 PM »
Well, don’t believe the excludive may be a Flutter set, since Basic Fun seems to have scrapped them as well as the Lemon Drop set  :cry:

Did they say they were scrapped?
Yep, they’re a cancelled project AFAIK. The thread over at the TP mentioned that a representative from BF at the Fair said so  :cry:
AKA Wind~Whistler on the TP 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

http://www.ponylandtours.com
Thanks to Philly for my avi!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #451 on: July 30, 2019, 11:39:23 PM »
What a bummer . . . You can't win them all, I guess.  I do remember even they were hesitant to show them at the NY Toy Fair because they weren't certain of their status.  I guess they were always sort of . . . up in the air.  (Ho ho winged pony puns.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 30, 2019, 11:45:36 PM »
Well, don’t believe the exclusive may be a Flutter set, since Basic Fun seems to have scrapped them as well as the Lemon Drop set  :cry:

Did they say they were scrapped?

I guess there's chatter on Facebook that someone from Basic Fun said they were cancelled, but I don't use FB so that's like third-hand information for me. :shrug: "She said that he said that they said" doesn't make for a solid news intro in my mind. ^^;

It doesn't have to be a Flutter box set though. Could be anything from a re-packaging of ponies from the existing retro line, to a set with Lemondrop/Sprinkles/Majesty, to the new G3 repros, to ????

up in the air

boooo XD
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 11:52:18 PM by BlushingBlue »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #453 on: July 31, 2019, 12:05:14 AM »
Basic Fun also don't have a good track record for consistent information to customers. Occasionally you get a good one, but a lot of the time there's contradiction.

Examples:

Rainbow Ponies will come out in Europe first (didn't).
The UK won't get collector ponies (did and still do)
ST AJ will be released worldwide on 4th July (hah).

...BUT I would not be surprised if the Flutters didn't happen, and honestly, won't mind if they don't. Flutter wings are very special and living up to the expectations of them while trying to make them sturdier is tough. I think they're safer sticking to other types of ponies instead. I hope we will get more G1 going forward.

For me, unless the G3 ponies we've been talking about are the exclusives, I think the most likely thing right now is that the Target excl. will be Lemon Drop without parlour. But there's always room for unknown pony x.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wind~Whistler

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • You got a twinkle in your eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 31, 2019, 01:34:46 AM »
For me, unless the G3 ponies we've been talking about are the exclusives, I think the most likely thing right now is that the Target excl. will be Lemon Drop without parlour. But there's always room for unknown pony x.
A set of all the playset ponies (with variations like glitter symbols, similar to the MOs) would be really sweet! I’m still in the fence about the G3s though...
AKA Wind~Whistler on the TP 

http://www.ponylandtours.com
Thanks to Philly for my avi!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 31, 2019, 09:16:37 AM »
Well, don’t believe the excludive may be a Flutter set, since Basic Fun seems to have scrapped them as well as the Lemon Drop set  :cry:

Source?
Not MLP, but I spotted a new Basic Fun toy on the retro end cap today:

They are sooo cute!  And I'm tempted . . . so tempted . . .

Cuute!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 31, 2019, 09:36:40 AM »
Minor news, but popping this in here so everyone has a chance to see it: https://www.instagram.com/p/B0eFd7KAXiL/

So it would appear that Basic Fun has semi-officially nixed the Lemondrop parlour v.2, and instead they're hoping to offer up "something great" for next year. Hmmmm....

And something new for Target around October, maybe a for-real-on-purpose exclusive? I'm going to have to start hoarding little boxes again. ;)

OH maybe it will be Majesty - normal without the flower print like the SDCC pony.  It would be fun if she came with a cardboard type castle :D

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 31, 2019, 09:38:28 AM »
Minor news, but popping this in here so everyone has a chance to see it: https://www.instagram.com/p/B0eFd7KAXiL/

So it would appear that Basic Fun has semi-officially nixed the Lemondrop parlour v.2, and instead they're hoping to offer up "something great" for next year. Hmmmm....

And something new for Target around October, maybe a for-real-on-purpose exclusive? I'm going to have to start hoarding little boxes again. ;)

OH maybe it will be Majesty - normal without the flower print like the SDCC pony.  It would be fun if she came with a cardboard type castle :D

Why something as flimsy and crappy as a cardboard castle? That's cheaper then Hasbroken.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 31, 2019, 09:42:13 AM »

Why something as flimsy and crappy as a cardboard castle? That's cheaper then Hasbroken.

Because a full plastic replica would be way too huge for the space I would want for it- and also cost more than $200. Plus if I wanted the castle, I could buy the original for cheaps on ebay. The original Majesty though- she is terrible with thin whispy mane.  I would love for her to come with long silken locks....

Also, I thought the cardboard "castle greyskull" that came with the 2016 or 2017 She-ra doll was fantastic. Something like that.

Of course Mattel also did a re-make of the original Castle Greyskull, and it was indeed, over $200.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 31, 2019, 09:45:00 AM »

Because a full plastic replica would be way too huge for the space I would want for it- and also cost more than $200. Plus if I wanted the castle, I could buy the original for cheaps on ebay. The original Majesty though- she is terrible with thin whispy mane.  I would love for her to come with long silken locks....

Also, I thought the cardboard "castle greyskull" that came with the 2016 or 2017 She-ra doll was fantastic. Something like that.

Of course Mattel also did a re-make of the original Castle Greyskull, and it was indeed, over $200.

So you'd rather encourage a company to majorly cheap out and sell a playset to kids that'll get destroyed quickly?  :pout: Dang, not even Hasbro pulled that kinda crap with the last major playsets.   
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 09:48:13 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 31, 2019, 09:54:35 AM »
I think it may boil down to "would you rather have a cardboard castle display or no castle at all?"

I mean, people are sad about the cancellation of the flutter ponies (me too) and those were much flimsier than cardboard, lol.  They were still a pretty cool toy, even if they did break their wings after about 1 day of play.

Honestly, though, I would be happy with any version of "normal" Majesty because the original one just has such terrible terrible hair.  The pony queen deserves silky, shiny hair!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 31, 2019, 09:57:15 AM »

So you'd rather encourage a company to majorly cheap out and sell a playset to kids that'll get destroyed quickly?  :pout: Dang, not even Hasbro pulled that kinda crap with the last major playsets.

Why yes, once again,  I would rather have a cardboard playset that can be recyled than a huge plastic monstrosity that will cost way too much and take up way too much space in any place and then get tossed and take up more space in the landfill.

Also, given how poorly Peachy's $20 salon sold, I am 100% sure an actual plastic castle would sell much worse.  People may like nostalgia but not nostalgia that takes up 1/4 of their kid's bedroom.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 31, 2019, 09:59:58 AM »
I think it may boil down to "would you rather have a cardboard castle display or no castle at all?"

I mean, people are sad about the cancellation of the flutter ponies (me too) and those were much flimsier than cardboard, lol.  They were still a pretty cool toy, even if they did break their wings after about 1 day of play.

Honestly, though, I would be happy with any version of "normal" Majesty because the original one just has such terrible terrible hair.  The pony queen deserves silky, shiny hair!

Well, people are always whining about how cheap toy companies are getting and how they want a return to quality. So why encourage it in a toy company that HAS been a return to quality and are also quite affordable? The SSC playset and Pretty Parlor weren't reduced to cardboard.

Post Merge: July 31, 2019, 10:02:57 AM

Why yes, once again,  I would rather have a cardboard playset that can be recyled than a huge plastic monstrosity that will cost way too much and take up way too much space in any place and then get tossed and take up more space in the landfill.

Also, given how poorly Peachy's $20 salon sold, I am 100% sure an actual plastic castle would sell much worse.  People may like nostalgia but not nostalgia that takes up 1/4 of their kid's bedroom.

I already explained why it was a bad idea. Kids, believe it or not, play with toys. Cardboard will get destroyed. Even collectors prefer their stuff to last. Imagine the outrage if Hasbro made the Seaquestria playset out of flimsy cardboard. Lots of people go without playsets too due to cash or space.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 10:05:41 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 31, 2019, 10:09:08 AM »

Well, people are always whining about how cheap toy companies are getting and how they want a return to quality. So why encourage it in a toy company that HAS been a return to quality and are also quite affordable? The SSC playset and Pretty Parlor weren't reduced to cardboard.

Post Merge: July 31, 2019, 10:02:57 AM

I already explained why it was a bad idea. Kids, believe it or not, play with toys. Cardboard will get destroyed. Even collectors prefer their stuff to last. Imagine the outrage if Hasbro made the Seaquestria playset out of flimsy cardboard. Lots of people go without playsets too due to cash or space.

Kid's rarely get $200 sets to play with.  Especially when you can pick up the same thing on ebay for $20.   If they release the pony with a $200 set, it will not sell.  They would have to cheap it down shrink it and include only one wall like they did for the G4 "castles" to make it affordable  and then it would no longer be retro and it would still be $45 or whatever the G4 castles cost (I never got one too big).  So it just isn't going to happen.

I'd way rather have a cardboard castle packaging than nothing at all. 

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 31, 2019, 10:24:03 AM »
One issue I see with the big playsets is . . . that's sooo much shelf space.  I don't think Target would be willing to stock something that big (especially after the Pretty Parlor didn't move), and Target is the main retailer willing to carry BF ponies.

I'd love to be proven wrong and see them make lots of retro playsets, but from a retailers perspective it seems like such a risk.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal