collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 35 Anniversary Collectors ponies - Thread 3!  (Read 233099 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: 35 Anniversary Collectors ponies - Thread 3!
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2019, 08:58:51 AM »
I think you guys are underestimating how much that company actually makes. $100 ain't bad as far as business expenses go.  :P

I think you're getting carried away with yourself on this xD.

No business is going to make a decision to invest $100 in research material when they can just as easily do a different set for a fraction of the price. Business is about profit, and the profit margin for Mimic would already be a lot less than for most other ponies. To put it into frank terms, in the US, they'd have to sell 11 Mimics to make a profit on a $100 investment buying the pony. In comparison, if they can get Fizzy for say, $10 (and I don't know the actual price), then selling one Fizzy would almost cover costs and so any sale beyond 1 item is profit.

Business logic is not the same as pony collector preference. WE see Mimic and Fizzy as different because of how the community has driven the price of one beyond the other, but to someone outside they are just two green unicorns with sparkly eyes.

Just because the company is paying attention to the community, it doesn't mean they're going to lay down a fortune on one pony just so that collectors who either can't or won't pay that $100 can get her. Absolutely no business works that way.

For the same reason I would put anything rare or international exclusive off the table. This is a US company working on US materials and obtaining old ponies which are in the cheap range within the US, whatever they are anywhere else. It's not realistic to impose on them the role of bringing Mimic's price down or making her more available (or Mountain Boys, or whatever else), when the high prices are of the community's own making.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2019, 09:04:56 AM »
$100 is a drop in the bucket for companies.

I'm pretty sure the amount we paid for .. eh "resources".. last month was  almost double my yearly salary. We sell $1-10 product.

Also I'd like to add.
They don't seem to be doing this for what's most popular

And that TE ponies will cause price increase when you think about sourcing / creating studded chaton gems -- and inserting them.

Manufacturing costs are going to cost more then a small resource.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 09:11:21 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2019, 09:13:26 AM »
I think you guys are underestimating how much that company actually makes. $100 ain't bad as far as business expenses go.  :P

Yeah but still, they're more likely to spend 5-25 on a pony for a mould then they would 85-100.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2019, 09:55:03 AM »
$100 is a drop in the bucket for companies.

I am not sure why this is such a sticking point, because realistically, a company can lay out that money. The common sense point is why would they, when there's another cheaper option on the table.

No company cares what we collectors have done to pony prices. Nothing in my post said anything about popularity. It spoke about cost. I think Fizzy is probably more popular and iconic than Mimic, so that's academic and a moot point. What bothers me is that people seem to think BF are going to produce all the rare expensive ponies and shell out the money for them so collectors don't have to.

...And that isn't going to happen.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2019, 10:11:46 AM »
The common sense point is why would they, when there's another cheaper option on the table.

When they make $10,000s on these things the difference of $90 isn't that much. You spend money to make money.

Basically I don't think they are saying "we are passing on the set with mimic bc she's too much", they are going to look for a SET that has variety and that their buyer thinks would sell.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2019, 10:21:16 AM »
The common sense point is why would they, when there's another cheaper option on the table.

When they make $10,000s on these things the difference of $90 isn't that much. You spend money to make money.

Basically I don't think they are saying "we are passing on the set with mimic bc she's too much", they are going to look for a SET that has variety and that their buyer thinks would sell.

I'm confused because they haven't said anything at all xD

This is all just speculation among collectors about ponies they'd like to see made and why it's more likely they'll make Fizzy etc and not Mimic's set because the profit margin is bigger.

I genuinely am not sure Basic Fun have a position on Mimic etc at the moment. Possibly they don't even know who she is. I mean, a lot has been asked of them, and they can't and won't be able to please everyone. And I suppose the real question would be, if they did make Mimic but used only images to construct her colour scheme (and a Milky Way for the pose, with some amendations to the eye)...would people be happy with that as a compromise?

I just don't think their decision process is influenced by "pony collectors' top grail finds" :/

Mimic is actually one of my favourites - she was my first trade and I love her to bits. But I think she gets way too much attention and hype over the other TE ponies. And the price thing with her goes back so far nobody even really knows how, when, or why it began...but while I understand that she's too expensive and people are fed up with it - it's not Basic Fun's job to fix that.

I suppose I'd rather see realistic expectations rather than inflated ones that end in disappointment? I mean, if Mimic did happen, and nobody expected it, that would be an awesome surprise, right? But at this juncture, I feel we should just be grateful for what they have done and not expect them to spend $100 for our sakes (because realistically, how many kids/non pony collecting adults would demand Mimic specifically?)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2019, 10:35:59 AM »
Sorry, I just saw a conversation that mentioned price -- and I gave my reasons why I think that would be the least of their issues. They won't choose Fizzy over Mimic because of price. The profit margin is miniscule when you look at the bigger picture

It comes down to sets IMHO, rather then individual ponies.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2019, 11:47:19 AM »
Sure, they would want to avoid spending $100 if they don't need to, but it's not completely out there to spend it. I agree with you that they've done much more than they are obligated to, especially with the flutter wings (allegedly), but I do not think it's unrealistic for them to pursue Mimic's set. I won't be disappointed if nothing comes from it, but I have not seen much interest in so-softs so far and it looks like they are not pursuing those, while the TE always tend to be a collector favorite.
That said, I do wonder though if they are actually buying every single vintage pony to reference off of, as Bowtie's dark coloring makes me think otherwise?

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2019, 11:57:45 AM »
Some g1 bowties are quite dark though. But I assume this is to do with the plastic. And maybe their own touch...

As to whether they need to, I dunno...but the reality is that they are. Promo photos prior to prototypes (such as the rainbows on Amazon) are of real old rainbows. And they had g1 flutters at the toy fair.

Which returns to the point of cost.

There just isn't an argument to lay out money for Mimic. The only market that would single her out is this one. And it just seems super unrealistic to expect them to spend $100 so collectirs don't have to.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 12:00:04 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2019, 12:01:36 PM »
Actually the most recent waves of Bow Tie are lighter, closer to the "average" Bow Tie.  (I actually liked the darker ones better, ha ha.)

They definitely have bought each G1 pony (that they've produced) to date.  The ponies displayed on the sidebar of the boxes are original G1 ponies, not repros.  IIRC they also had original G1 Year 3 Rainbow ponies at the Toy Fair where they were announced.

I think for Basic Fun $100 would be a pretty insignificant cost.  Not that I'm saying we're guaranteed to get the set or anything.  But I think if it doesn't come out the reason would be "we already did a Twinkle Eye set, let's do something new", not "it cost too much."  The one-time cost of $100 is nothing compared to the added expense of altering their manufacturing process to add Twinkle Eyes or flutter wings.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 12:13:10 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2019, 12:10:59 PM »
Actually the most recent waves of Bow Tie are lighter, closer to the "average" Bow Tie.  (I actually liked the darker ones better, ha ha.)
I love dark Bow Tie.  Her dark color with that light mane is so beautiful.  But now there is a light blue one too? Oh no. My poor wallet.  Hopefully, I won't want her because these take up a lot of space.

Practical or not, I would really love a brand new Mimic.  I know I will never pay those prices for the original.

Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2019, 12:30:05 PM »
And it just seems super unrealistic to expect them to spend $100 so collectirs don't have to.

Her collector price tag doesn't matter... it's a pretty insignificant cost.

None of these ponies are released so collectors don't have to pay price tag of vintage.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2019, 12:33:41 PM »
Cracker Barrel restocked with another full set of unscented Rainbow ponies. :cheer: I hope this means that they will keep restocking them. I need Sunlight to complete my Rainbow Ponies.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2019, 02:52:14 PM »
And it just seems super unrealistic to expect them to spend $100 so collectirs don't have to.

Her collector price tag doesn't matter... it's a pretty insignificant cost.

None of these ponies are released so collectors don't have to pay price tag of vintage.

I'm pretty sure that the bolded was exactly my point, but anyhow.

Mimic - or Mountain Boys - or some of the other ponies that get bounced about - are put forward as ideals because they're expensive, hard to get, and they have status. By which I mean they're ones that stick in people's minds and so come forth the moment people start discussing what they'd like to see.

Basic Fun has its own process and we don't really know what that is. But we are not dictating that process. So saying that them spending $100 is insignificant as a cost is wilfully ignoring the fact that only people here see Mimic as worth $100. There's no reason for anyone else to.

It's easier to produce a cheaper and more iconic set. Which is what they will do. Because they are a business...and as you said also - not there to provide cheap alternatives by bearing the cost in the collector's place.

...In the meantime, though, I would be really happy to see set 1 of the TE ponies. From the point of view of iconic characters, they have a global presence. And Fizzy has also been released on merch in lots of places in recent years, which helps to create a market for her outside of here as well. Those are (in my opinion, of course, that's all it is) more likely reasons to decide to make a set.

To be blunt, much as I love her, I wouldn't spend $100 on Mimic. And I'm a G1 collector. So expecting a company that has no direct emotional tie overall to one specific pony to do so is pretty unrealistic.

Going back to stock, I noticed yesterday that, while the tag is still there, all the y3 rainbows that my local JL had are now gone. I hope they will restock, but its a good sign that they're selling in the same way the first set did.

I went back to the whole long post about stuff in the UK and it mentioned unipegs in July here but Amazon says June 1st. I'm really hoping they might sneak in here by end of May...but I guess I'm just impatient to see Medley.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2019, 03:24:14 PM »
Yes. I was agreeing with you..

With the exception to any reasoning due to cost.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal