collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 35 Anniversary Collectors ponies - Thread 3!  (Read 233258 times)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: 35 Anniversary Collectors ponies - Thread 3!
« Reply #735 on: November 18, 2019, 07:08:00 AM »
And yet if they'd sell directly to the consumers we'd buy them all.  In the age of the internet Basic Fun would do well to bypass snotty retailers.  Their site lists Walmart as a retailer and yet they don't carry any of the retro ponies AT ALL.  IF you order from Walmart's website, it comes from a 3rd party seller.  So why Basic Fun is letting the retailers determine their line is beyond me.  The retailers that say they carry them don't carry them so of course they're not selling!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: November 18, 2019, 07:43:10 AM »
And yet if they'd sell directly to the consumers we'd buy them all.  In the age of the internet Basic Fun would do well to bypass snotty retailers.  Their site lists Walmart as a retailer and yet they don't carry any of the retro ponies AT ALL.  IF you order from Walmart's website, it comes from a 3rd party seller.  So why Basic Fun is letting the retailers determine their line is beyond me.  The retailers that say they carry them don't carry them so of course they're not selling!

Hear hear!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #737 on: November 18, 2019, 09:01:07 AM »
Yeah, I'm a bit surprised Basic Fun doesn't sell directly from their website. They could sell at the same price the retailers do and make more money, but it's probably because they don't have the setup to ship out to consumers, don't have the proper storage for all that, etc.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #738 on: November 20, 2019, 12:37:26 AM »

I can only speak for over here but we have the opposite problem...we're playing hunt the pony because despite a list of places for the UK from a while back, turns out that it's not as straight forward as that. They're showing up in some stores in some regions and not in others...plus Entertainer wasn't on the list for the unipegs but lo and behold they had them. Smyths was, and some have had them - ours still has the CP set. It's really hit and miss like that for what sets are where. Still trying to work out the logic by which Firefly appeared in JL when none of the rest of her set did (and in more than one location, so not one accident box).

BUT all the store employees I've spoken to about these have said THEY ARE selling very well and are popular. I would imagine it's the same in other places - where the distribution happens, they are selling. The problem is the same problem of getting an even coverage across places. Here, Amazon does help that a bit, but it doesn't resolve it entirely and it's not as much fun as finding them in stores.

I am personally ok with them not making the LD parlour (it isn't a thing, anyway, nice as it would have been to have LD - maybe we'll get her in a different context of some kind, who knows) or the flutters. With the latter, making the wings sturdy enough to not break so easily in play is basically taking away some part of the flutters as they were for me. I like the wings in the delicate format, which is not practical for a modern toy release, even a retro. Unless they did a high powered adult collector release for that set, I'm fine with us not having them redone. The perfection in a flutter pony for me is in the fragility, but you shouldn't be selling toys that break 2 seconds into opening them.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: November 20, 2019, 07:28:34 AM »
I'm starting to think I'll hafta buy her on Amazon after all. X(

Post Merge: November 20, 2019, 07:32:24 AM

I can only speak for over here but we have the opposite problem...we're playing hunt the pony because despite a list of places for the UK from a while back, turns out that it's not as straight forward as that. They're showing up in some stores in some regions and not in others...plus Entertainer wasn't on the list for the unipegs but lo and behold they had them. Smyths was, and some have had them - ours still has the CP set. It's really hit and miss like that for what sets are where. Still trying to work out the logic by which Firefly appeared in JL when none of the rest of her set did (and in more than one location, so not one accident box).

BUT all the store employees I've spoken to about these have said THEY ARE selling very well and are popular. I would imagine it's the same in other places - where the distribution happens, they are selling. The problem is the same problem of getting an even coverage across places. Here, Amazon does help that a bit, but it doesn't resolve it entirely and it's not as much fun as finding them in stores.

I am personally ok with them not making the LD parlour (it isn't a thing, anyway, nice as it would have been to have LD - maybe we'll get her in a different context of some kind, who knows) or the flutters. With the latter, making the wings sturdy enough to not break so easily in play is basically taking away some part of the flutters as they were for me. I like the wings in the delicate format, which is not practical for a modern toy release, even a retro. Unless they did a high powered adult collector release for that set, I'm fine with us not having them redone. The perfection in a flutter pony for me is in the fragility, but you shouldn't be selling toys that break 2 seconds into opening them.

Sorry Taf. But I respectfully disagree. I don't see how an easily breakable body part being made sturdy is taking away the playability.

Its the exact opposite in that an essential part being easily breakable is taking away the playability. They're supposed to withstand a certain amount of children playing with them. Not snap like a rotten twig underfoot.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 07:32:24 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: November 20, 2019, 11:44:26 AM »
No, no, you misunderstand me. I'm saying that the original wings are part of the magic for me, but the original wings as they were in the eighties are not good for playability, so you would have to make them sturdier. That would mean changing them to make them last longer. Which is fine in itself, but I personally don't want to see them made sturdier, because I like them the way they were...

So the flutters I would want to see are not viable for the modern market. And that makes me ok with us not getting retro flutters.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: November 20, 2019, 04:13:18 PM »
Anyone know if they will be having any other ponies coming out in 2020?

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #742 on: November 20, 2019, 04:27:13 PM »
Yes! Gusty, Sparkler, Heart Throb, and Surprise, as well as baby ponies.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Starflashbaby

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • When life throws you bricks, build a Castle!
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #743 on: November 20, 2019, 06:24:47 PM »

I am sooo happy to hear that Gusty will be coming soon!!!!!  :happy:

Sales, WTB, Commissions Open

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: November 20, 2019, 06:36:23 PM »

eeeee! heart throb!!!!! <3 <3
i was at target just last week and wasn't even looking for them, but confetti caught my eye at the bottom of an endcap and i just kind of lost it for a minute and HAD to buy her B^) i now have snuzzle, parasol, and confetti! and heartthrob soon, too <3

wishlist

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: November 21, 2019, 12:13:44 AM »
I hope Powder is part of a future plan. It will be sad without her as BF have done such a good job of filling the hole hasbro left in the UK line in 86ish so far...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: November 21, 2019, 05:07:22 AM »
I hope Powder is part of a future plan. It will be sad without her as BF have done such a good job of filling the hole hasbro left in the UK line in 86ish so far...

I hope she is too. Powder is a childhood want. She's so.pretty

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: November 21, 2019, 07:11:29 AM »
Basic Fun hasn't left any set incomplete so far. I think we can be fairly certain Powder/Sky Flier will be added to the set later. Like Pinwheel /Starflower for the second Rainbow set. I feel like the only thing that could stop this is if the line was cancelled before the ponies can be made.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: November 21, 2019, 07:18:55 AM »
Basic Fun hasn't left any set incomplete so far. I think we can be fairly certain Powder/Sky Flier will be added to the set later. Like Pinwheel /Starflower for the second Rainbow set. I feel like the only thing that could stop this is if the line was cancelled before the ponies can be made.

I am hoping this is the case as well. It would be kind of nice if it happened like that, to spread it out across the year. Powder is the most important pony for me from that set because I had her on CHristmas cards as a kid (which I still have) and she was always in the comics with Snowflake (who I also had) in the winter, so I remember her a lot. BUT of the ones they announced, I am most excited for Sparkler. She was on my first ever pony comic cover...and I really wonder if they're going to do the curly hair thing...

I would love them to do the curly hair thing, as 3/4 of the set they're releasing are original curlies.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #749 on: November 21, 2019, 07:27:28 AM »
Jumping in to sing my praises of Powder as well, she was my first G1 along with Cotton Candy!!
Someone else in my area bought Starflower from my Target. It's nice to see they're finally up to date on stocking, but Applejack from the G3 retro set got left behind as well. So sad.

Sig by Starscout <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal