collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 35 Anniversary Collectors ponies - Thread 3!  (Read 237287 times)

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
Re: 35 Anniversary Collectors ponies - Thread 3!
« Reply #1230 on: November 04, 2020, 03:28:29 AM »
Soooo, I saw on my Tumblr feed from heckyeahponyscans that someone confirmed from BF staff on FB that Twinkle eyes will be coming next.
Finally I can own a Gingerbread!
That's pretty exciting!
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: November 04, 2020, 05:52:30 AM »
In regards to the Twinkle Eye, do y’all think they will reproduce the actual jewel eye?  I’m actually kind of hoping they will use the characters but give them regular eyes.  I think that would be a nice variant to the originals.

Thoughts?

Then what's the point of making them at all? They can't be Twinkle Eyes without the rhinestones.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 05:54:30 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #1232 on: November 04, 2020, 09:02:11 AM »
In regards to the Twinkle Eye, do y’all think they will reproduce the actual jewel eye?  I’m actually kind of hoping they will use the characters but give them regular eyes.  I think that would be a nice variant to the originals.

Thoughts?

I think it's very very likely they'll give them the jewel eyes, since they tend to use the proper set name and it would be a little weird if they were called Twinkle Eyes and had normal eyes.  Although I guess they could put glitter on their eyes or something?  But I would guess they'd give them jewel eyes.  Unless they couldn't figure out how to keep them securely in place.  (Like, to make sure they aren't a choking hazard.)

But they can probably figure that out by looking at and, errr, dissecting ;) the originals?  Gotta says, the eyes of the TEs are amazing, I have NEVER seen a pony with an eye popped out unless it was on purpose by a customizer.  Just rock (ho ho like a GEM) solid.  :)

Like the other recent sets, the info we're getting is that they'll be a set of four:  TE Sky Rocket, Fizzy, Gingerbread, and Sweet Stuff.  I'm hoping they will make more TE sets because I'd love to get a new Masquerade, but Gingerbread and Sweet Stuff are the most prone to problems in the set (age spots and in Gingerbread's case, discoloration in general) so I'm pretty happy.

It's a little weird that three are in the same pose, but my hypothesis is they were designed when it looked like there would be tariffs on all goods imported from China . . . We know Basic Fun was worried about this (they said so in interviews), so they might have decided to save the money of making three or four separate molds and instead gone with only two.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 09:11:24 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: November 04, 2020, 09:03:40 AM »

Thoughts?

I think it's very very likely they'll give them the jewel eyes, since they tend to use the proper set name and it would be a little weird if they were called Twinkle Eyes and had normal eyes.  Although I guess they could put glitter on their eyes or something?  But I would guess they'd give them jewel eyes.  Unless they couldn't figure out how to keep them securely in place.  (Like, to make sure they aren't a choking hazard.)

But they can probably figure that out by looking at and, errr, dissecting ;) the originals?  Gotta says, the eyes of the TEs are amazing, I have NEVER seen a pony with an eye popped out unless it was on purpose by a customizer.  Just rock (ho ho like a GEM) solid.  :)

:lol:

Online Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: November 04, 2020, 10:12:05 AM »
Ooh, I know I need a Fizzy!  I don't own her yet.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: November 04, 2020, 11:00:22 AM »
WHAT, TWINKLE EYES, YOU SAY? 
I can't hear you over the sound of my money flying out of my wallet....
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: November 04, 2020, 01:47:23 PM »
LOL

I want them!  But those aren't the ones I want most.  I want a new Mimic and Quackers someday.  This is good though! Really good.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1237 on: November 04, 2020, 01:52:01 PM »
Masquerade is my childhood pony, and the one my sister says she would most want from a BF release, so that's a bit of a let down.
Doesn't make sense to have Sky Rocket and not Galaxy. If they're making the unicorn pose surely it would be better to make 2 in that pose and 2 in the earth pose?

I don't like this habit of cutting ponies out of sets though. I get why it probably is happening, but you aren't really memorialising the TE ponies with Sky Rocket and yet no Whizzer or Masquerade...:/ She's beautiful, yes, but not iconic.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #1238 on: November 04, 2020, 02:01:26 PM »
I'd be more excited for a Powder release to be honest, but it would be cool to have some TEs to alt-rehair without guilt.
My Target is OVERRUN with Gusties and Sparklers. I'm starting to wonder if I should pick them up to distribute around, but I'm not sure how many are still hunting.

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1239 on: November 04, 2020, 02:05:20 PM »
I'd be more excited for a Powder release to be honest, but it would be cool to have some TEs to alt-rehair without guilt.
My Target is OVERRUN with Gusties and Sparklers. I'm starting to wonder if I should pick them up to distribute around, but I'm not sure how many are still hunting.

I am also still sore about Powder. She NEVER made it to the UK in the 1980s and was always a favourite of mine in stories as a kid. :(
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: November 04, 2020, 02:22:49 PM »

Vroooom.

Post Merge: November 04, 2020, 02:23:57 PM

I am also still sore about Powder. She NEVER made it to the UK in the 1980s and was always a favourite of mine in stories as a kid. :(

Same. Really wanted a pretty shiny Powder

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #1241 on: November 04, 2020, 02:37:59 PM »
Sky Rocket struck me as an odd choice too.  Because when I think of the first set of TEs I think of Masquerade, Fizzy, Galaxy, Whizzer, Gingerbread, and Sweet Stuff, not the three add-ons Speedy, Sky Rocket, and Sweet Pop.  (Why DID they have three new ponies in the middle of the year?  Maybe the TEs were just too popular, or . . . ?)

But then I thought, "Does Basic Fun even KNOW those three are add-ons?  Or did they get a list of 'First Year TEs' from Hasbro and it had nine ponies on it?"

I'd looove to see Galaxy remade, she was one I really liked as a kid but as an adult . . . I don't like the hair on the vintage ones.  I've tried to buy "mint" ones several times but the hair is always coarse--nice looking, but coarse.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 02:40:25 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: November 04, 2020, 04:57:16 PM »
Twinkle Eyes are kind of not Twinkle Eyes unless they have...well...twinkle eyes. That is the entire point of the set so if they're willing to revise Sparkler's hair because it's not close enough to the original (speculated reason), it would be odd for them to produce this set without the key feature of the set. Would be like selling the Rainbow ponies with different hair.

Not that I rule it out, it just seems pointless to issue this set without issuing the key feature of that set.

Then what's the point of making them at all? They can't be Twinkle Eyes without the rhinestones.

It's fair that if they are going to advertise them as the Twinkle Eyed set that it makes sense to include that feature. 

My thought process is just that the jewel eyes might be integral as a unifying feature to the set but not integral to the character design? :shrug:   I don't know that the Rainbow ponies is the best comparison.  If you took the Rainbow feature away, you would then have to redesign part of the pony.  To me, the twinkle eyes are more like glitter symbols or flocking.   Plenty of people would have bought the previous Basic Fun ponies if they had painted symbols only.  And plenty of people currently collect non-flocked and de-flocked versions of So-Soft ponies. 

And also, plenty of people collect Fizzy merch when the art depicts her with regular eyes.  ;)

Although I guess they could put glitter on their eyes or something?  But I would guess they'd give them jewel eyes.  Unless they couldn't figure out how to keep them securely in place.  (Like, to make sure they aren't a choking hazard.)

I mean, that's a legitimate possibility.   Additionally, lots of non-pony people find the jewel eyes creepy.  Depending on how much they are banking on pure nostalgia* or how much they want to draw in a modern audience that just likes the idea of a classic MLP with little regard to how authentic it is.

*True, they changed Sparkler's hair which seems to indicate that they are listening closely to collectors.  On the other hand, Sparkler's hair was an easy fix where as the twinkle eye gimmick isn't something that could be changed mid-stream.

I have NEVER seen a pony with an eye popped out unless it was on purpose by a customizer.  Just rock (ho ho like a GEM) solid.  :)

:iconclap:

Online Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: November 04, 2020, 05:45:57 PM »
Broke down and ordered Stranger Things AJ from Amazon since I never saw her in store.  She showed up today.  :)  I've never watched Stranger Things but I'm glad I bought her because I love her colors.

Offline StrawberryScoops

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: November 04, 2020, 06:16:50 PM »
Is it confirmed we aren’t getting Powder and Sky Flier? I just thought they’d come later like Pinwheel and Starflower...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal