TCB > Trader & Shipping Support

How is selling on eBay these days?

(1/2) > >>

Pheasant:
Hi folks!

I've been doing some spring cleaning / decluttering, and was wondering how safe the current eBay scene was these days. Last time my mom and I sold there - which was over a year ago - most of our listings ended with NPBs. It was pretty discouraging.

Most of what I'm selling is hobby / toy stuff - Pokemon merchandise, G1s / G3s, and a handful of video games - nothing of 'real' value, really. (I will probably try to sell the ponies here in the Classifieds.)

Has there been any rash of NPBs / chargebacks / stuff I should be aware of?

zombienixon:
I don't know about how it is with toys specifically since I haven't really sold many of those, but I've sold a few dozen items over the past three months, and I've only had an issue with two people. One didn't pay, and the other tried to con me into giving free shipping, but other than that it's been pretty straightforward.

tailrustedtealeaf:
I sold a few LPS over the past few months and despite how strange the buying base I have had no issues thus far, but most of them were BiN listings rather than proper auctions.

banditpony:
For many years, it's geared toward BiNs > auctions. People are looking for a quick buy, not a timed auction. And with that, you can set your payment for automatic so you don't deal with NPB.

As always, keep your descriptions blunt and easy to read. And take pictures in good lighting, making sure to highlight flaws. That sort of thing avoids cases.

And for chargebacks (knock on wood), I think those are pretty rare.

flying_narwhal:
For me personally, eBay seems to be getting slower and slower with the sales. It does really depend on what you're selling though. For me, video games still sell fairly quickly (depending on the game) but a lot of collectibles and toys I was able to sell quickly and for decent prices in the past have just been sitting.

As for NPBs/chargebacks- I have been selling on eBay since 2010. I have only had a small handful of chargebacks in 9 years. I can't even remember the last time I had one. I was able to recoup my funds for all of the chargebacks on Paypal by providing proof that I shipped to the confirmed address on Paypal. As for NPBs, I'm sure there are still quite a few people who do not pay for auctions or Best Offers. I personally do not run auctions very often unless I have a free promotion on eBay so I'm not sure how often it happens but it's always a risk when you try to sell that way. I also agree with banditpony, I think a lot of people today are impatient and don't want to wait for an auction to run its course. It just seems to me that lately many auctions get few, if any, bids (of course if you are a buyer this sometimes means you can get a great deal!).

My preference has always been fixed price with immediate payment required. However, one thing to note is that eBay has recently made some changes to the fixed price format. All fixed price listings are now "Good til Cancelled". What this means is that the listing renews every 30 days unless you cancel it manually. If you still have some of your free listings left it's not a problem. However, if you have already used all your free listings for the month, then when the listing renews you will be charged the insertion fee. Some people don't mind this change but I personally find it really annoying, I don't want to have to babysit my listings to make sure I'm not charged all these extra fees. So that is something to be aware of if you decide to go the fixed price route.

Best of luck with the decluttering!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version