collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Decapitated Brush n Grow - help?  (Read 1269 times)

Offline efelkay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
Decapitated Brush n Grow - help?
« on: April 12, 2019, 02:00:59 AM »
So I mentioned in my introductions post that all of my childhood ponies are in storage - there's one exception to that. I've got a BnG Ringlets that's been sitting on a shelf in my room for as long as I can remember. She was put aside because either me or my brother (can't remember) broke off her head and my dad never actually got around to fixing her. I think it's something in her mechanism broke off, because her head rattles when I shake it. The head sits on the body fine.

Aside from that glaring issue, she's also got some yellowish discolouration in some spots - mainly around the tail and the tips of her muzzle and ears. I think it's probably to do with her age or something, it definitely occurred naturally. They're very subtle and probably wouldn't ever be noticed unless you were looking for it, so if there's nothing much I can do about it I'm completely fine with that. It just bothers me a little knowing they're there. But if anyone has any idea if there's something I can do about either of these issues, I'd really appreciate some advice. Thanks in advance.

Here she is before...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

.....and after a sponge bath and a good brush

Since taking these, I've also braided her tail and tied it with an old ribbon. I think she's cute, although I'm going to need to wash (and maybe curl) her hair in the future.

I think she might also be faded... one of the streaks in her hair definitely is. I'm okay with that and the slight frizziness too, she's been like that for as long as I can remember. I'm actually pretty impressed that she hasn't suffered more damage, really. I got her second hand, so I imagine some other kid probably spent time playing with her back in the 80s, and then both me and my brother definitely played with our ponies a lot as a kid. And yet - no markers, no haircuts, no damage at all aside from the aforementioned.

(I didn't think to take any pictures of her head mechanism earlier, unfortunately, and now my phone's dead with no charger. I'll see if I can get some pictures of that later.)

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Decapitated Brush n Grow - help?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 03:41:38 AM »
I've got a Ringlets with a broken mechanism too!!   Mine came with a haircut and frizzy hair as well, so her mane only reaches her fetlocks.

What I did (though it may no be the right thing to do) was to remove the mechanism in the neck, take her tail out, restore it and then replace like a regular pony tail using small cable ties instead of a washer.
Then replaced the rest of the mechanism parts as a plug in her neck so the head sort of clips on.
She displays fine like that but if she was going to be moved about I would put a dab of craft glue on the neck. I found a bit of iridescent ribbon that reflects the colours of her hair so she wears that around her neck - she's still a very pretty pony.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 09:00:01 PM »
Aww she's definitely one of the prettiest BnGs ever made. What a lovely girl yours is. :D
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Shileah

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 01:34:06 AM »
She's looking beautiful!!

I have a broken Ringlet in my To Do bag, too, actually. Parts of her mane have been cut and while I managed to separate head and body (and they snap back onto each other), I have no idea how to remove the mechanism from the inside of her head so I could rehair her.
Specifically looking for G1 with pen markings similar to this (my initials - W.S.):

Instagram

Offline efelkay

• Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 03:49:31 AM »
Thanks for the responses!

The parts of the mechanism that is in her head seem to be stuck in there really good. I'm assuming it was glued in? I think heat can loosen glue, so maybe heating it up would be worth a try. But I'm not a professional, so I dunno. Don't take my word for it. The only thing I can think of would be to cut it out, and taking a knife to a pony seems like a pretty bad idea...

Honestly though, at this point, I might just glue the head back on. The mechanism wouldn't work, which would be a shame, but it's not like I plan on selling her or playing with her or anything. I guess I'm lucky that mine doesn't need rehairing... good luck with yours, Shileah.

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 02:12:33 PM »
They aren't easy to repair. I've done a couple of rehairs and the piece inside the head is a very awkward shape so unless you've lots of experience with customising then removing the head isn't a good idea. Its also not glued - its kind of melted in with the plastic of the neck. There's a little peg shaped piece on the top of a stalk and if that breaks there's no way to fix it.

The restoration project has my photos of the inside parts of a pony :)
http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/misc.html

Offline Shileah

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 02:32:13 PM »
Thank you Chrissytree, that was very helpful - especially the linked video! Unfortunately, your tutorial that is linked in the article on how the BnG mechanism works does not show me any pictures. Do you still have them and could upload them here, if it isn't too much of a hassle?
Specifically looking for G1 with pen markings similar to this (my initials - W.S.):

Instagram

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 03:05:50 PM »
The photos are the same ones they've used on the site.

Offline Shileah

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 08:09:36 AM »
Ah I see  :biggrin: Thanks!

Instagram

Offline efelkay

• Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 06:04:02 AM »
They aren't easy to repair. I've done a couple of rehairs and the piece inside the head is a very awkward shape so unless you've lots of experience with customising then removing the head isn't a good idea. Its also not glued - its kind of melted in with the plastic of the neck. There's a little peg shaped piece on the top of a stalk and if that breaks there's no way to fix it.

The restoration project has my photos of the inside parts of a pony :)
http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/misc.html

Thank you! Although my issue isn't with me wanting to remove the head - I want to put it back on, as it's been broken since I was a kid. Looking at it now, I think the peg-shaped piece is the issue. I (or my brother, I'm not sure) must have broken that when we were playing years ago. That's probably what's making her head rattle, too.

I don't think I've got the skill to fix it though, nor the guts to cut her apart, so she'll just have to sit with her head awkwardly balanced on her neck. Oh well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal