collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice on selling  (Read 5226 times)

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
Advice on selling
« on: April 11, 2019, 04:37:54 AM »
I have collected ponies on and off for six years, and I have now decided that I want to downsize my collection and focus on just G3s, which means I want to sell my G1s and G4s. They are mostly in good condition, though the G1s were all found second hand in the wild.

The only problem is that I don't know how. I have never used eBay before and don't even have an account. I've also heard that it's difficult to get someone to buy from you if you don't have any feedback.

Any advice is appreciated

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on selling
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 05:16:38 AM »
What G1 ponies have you got to sell? (Please private message me with pictures of the ponies and your address I might be interested in some)

Have you got PayPal?

Only site that I know that’s better than ebay.uk is Shpock (on that you can put whether you can post them or ask them to come to your house)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 05:32:37 AM »
I dunno. Since there is buyer protection -- which guarantees that a buyer will get the item, as described, or they get a refund... There is really little worry about 0 feedback these days.

That said, it's really stacked against you as a new seller. You get your funds held (see above about buyer guarantee), shipping is expensive, fees are expensive.. it's hard to gain feedback ( to get the hold removed ).

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 07:52:36 AM »
If you're thinking about buying on eBay, buy five cheap listings of something to get a little feedback going.  It doesn't really matter that it's not seller feedback, just as long as you don't have (0) after your username.

But yeah, prepare to have your funds held at first.  And it's so true about it being hard to get feedback.  A lot of buyers just don't leave it anymore.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 08:22:18 AM »
Oh also..
This might help in getting feedback.. write a small hand written note thanking the buyer, and politely asking them for feedback in a not pushy way. It sort of gives a reminder that there's a person there, and it isn't a big box.

Some people might still ignore it, but I will always give feedback for people who are kind with how they ask it. (Not gonna lie but I tend to not always give feedback unless I notice it is someone with little feedback)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 08:35:52 AM »
eBay feedback sure is tricky! I agree with making small purchases so you at least have something next to your name. I'm a relatively new seller and it looks like I have little issue with getting sales as long as my prices are competitive despite only being in the low double-digits. I've found myself ignoring feedback numbers if a deal is good enough.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 11:50:50 AM »
Thnaks for the comments everyone! I created an account and made my first purchase- G3 Sweet Breeze!

I haven't set up PayPal yet, but it looks like you have to in order to sell on eBay.

A friend in real life told me that it might be a good idea to sell some of my cheaper ponies for a really low price so people will buy anyway and then get some good feedback from them. I do have a few G4s I want to shift that aren't worth more than 99p
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:53:28 AM by EnaRocketQueen »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 12:10:43 PM »
Eh. I'm surprised you still need a PP account. There will be a time soon that is not the case.

I'm going to say you will want a PP account over "managed payments" because right now MP won't accept payments by PayPal "for now". https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/managed-payments-on-ebay.html

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 04:03:44 AM »
I agree with the advice in this post about buying some cheap ponies /other items that you want and gaining a bit of feedback from them  first -  because as well as gaining you some feedback ( doesn't matter that it's for buying rather than selling) and  adding to your own collection, it will help you learn how things work on ebay . :bigups:

When it comes to selling on ebay - you can't avoid the delay in getting your money - unfortunately that's something ebay does now, but you can get your money released more quickly if you do get good feedback from sales in the meantime so definitely worth it to sell off some cheap ponies quickly first and gain what feedback you can from that ;) :relaxed:  . That way you also gain more buyers trust because you won't be a zero feedback newbie , but to be honest since buyers are pretty much covered now on ebay, it's much less risky for them to buy from a low feedback /no feedback seller than it used to be. Everyone has to start somewhere. Low feedback new sellers don't put me off.
Adding a personal note to your buyers with their pony does encourage them to leave you good feedback - I do that myself with any items I sell (I send a small thank you card) . It makes a difference.
Good descriptions and plenty clear pics make a difference too. Your potential buyers will prefer it if there are no "surprises"- so list any flaw from dry hair to factory flaws, to ingrained dirt or fading- whatever it is, always mention it no matter how small. Buyers will appreciate a longer description of anything like that that rather than just a few pics and a one line that says something like" G1 mlp Apple Jack . good condition see pics". (I tend to not buy from people who do not describe properly unless it's very good deal for a HTF item that I wouldn't mind if it was flawed. I prefer the sellers who take the time to properly describe the pony and any tiny flaws) :awake:
Any other help you need when you do come to selling your ponies - ask here and we'll always do out best to help you :)

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 04:33:52 AM »
I was wondering if I should sell here on the arena instead.  Pretty much everything I want to sell is pony-related and that might be a way to avoid eBay's listing fees. I don't have any feedback on here but I've been around the forums for a few years now. I just wondered if many people round here would want to collect G4s

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 05:47:24 AM »
Trying to sell your ponies here first is a good idea . There are G4 collectors here so you might find buyers :)  you can always try ebay later if you need to/want to :awake:

:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 06:57:53 AM »
I just wondered if many people round here would want to collect G4s

If you have less produced figures like Nightmare Moon and Sapphire Joy then I think you might find some interest.  If you have a lot of Mane 6, not so much.

For Mane Six, what I've found works well is to sell the whole set of six on eBay.  I sell them pretty cheaply, like $8 for six ponies.  But at least they DO sell, and it's faster than selling them individually.  I think it's mostly parents buying them.

Edit:  Of course it's not an either / or situation, you can list items multiple places.  What I usually do is list on eBay first, then I list the same item on the Arena using the pictures hosted on eBay.  It's MUCH faster than uploading picks to Flickr or other photo sites.  If an item sells on the Arena, I cancel the eBay auction.  If it sells on eBay, I remove the pony from my Arena post.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:02:51 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 11:17:51 AM »
Selling them on here will be better

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 12:10:17 PM »
I just wondered if many people round here would want to collect G4s

If you have less produced figures like Nightmare Moon and Sapphire Joy then I think you might find some interest.  If you have a lot of Mane 6, not so much.

I have the Holly Dash who is supposedly rare, and quite a few of the non Mane 6 characters (Pursey Pink, Skywishes, Sweetie Drops etc) and some of the snow globe ones. I don't have any duplicates and have about 25 ponies plus heaps of blind bags.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 03:14:51 AM »
You should be able to sell your G4 ponies either here or ebay  (or both) much more easily if they are not mane 6 :bigups:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal