collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice needed: How to remove these marker stains?  (Read 658 times)

Offline Shileah

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Advice needed: How to remove these marker stains?
« on: April 08, 2019, 02:08:19 AM »
Hey all,

I need the advice of more experienced collectors and restorers on how to tackle pen marks on a Italian Skyflier. I have tried so far:
- dish soap bath
- magic eraser
- oxy bath
- attacking the marks with pure acetone.

The only difference I could make was with the acetone, however, it seems to take off some of her colour as well and I now have faded marks that are in a faded area... which isn't really what I was going for. She is badly faded already anyways, but the lighter spots don't really add any beauty.
I looked up if she is safe for sunfading, and sure enough, she popped up in the respective thread to not be safe to be sunfaded, so that is not an option. When I asked for advice on Insta, I got both the advice to try a peroxide bath, and to not try a peroxide bath so I am none the wiser now. I was also informed that Remove-Zit, which I had as 'secret weapon' in the back of my mind is not a good idea and should not be tried.

So, what do with that poor pony? Are there even any options left, or should I just toss her in the bag for non-salvageable ponies that I might or might not try my hands on repainting with?

Here are some pictures:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The ear actually worked comparably well, but you can see a lighter spot there too, it is just not that obvious:

This here shows the faded spots around the faded marks pretty well. It took me around 4 hours to get to that result:

Specifically looking for G1 with pen markings similar to this (my initials - W.S.):

Instagram

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed: How to remove these marker stains?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 11:51:37 AM »
You're going to have to sunfade, and watch carefully because she can bleach pretty quickly.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 12:05:17 PM »
Sunfading with careful supervision. Check at least once a day and rotate positions often!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 01:06:26 AM »
Yup, sunfading: sorry! However on a brighter note, she is gorgeous even if faded. In fact I want one who has been faded personally as I think she is beautiful that way.

Offline Shileah

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 05:34:55 AM »
Thank you all for your input! So I guess trying to sunfade her despite her being on the no sunfading list will be it! After all, it cannot get much worse, anyways so there isn't much to lose. Good thing that spring has arrived here!

I hope I will be able to provide you with a successful update.
Specifically looking for G1 with pen markings similar to this (my initials - W.S.):

Instagram

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal