collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "The Beginning of the End" S9 Ep 1 & 2 Discussion  (Read 11791 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: "The Beginning of the End" S9 Ep 1 & 2 Discussion
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2019, 07:27:39 PM »
Spoiler
That line about the longest time of peace still bothers me especially if last season's finale was really just a few months ago in Equestria. Starlight mentions the school is closed for the summer. I was sure the retirement of the princesses was a trick of Grogar or Chrysalis when the episode started but it seems both princesses came up with the idea on their own. This episode also proves that Cozy isn't Chrysalis.

Sombra was actually very clever with his plan to retake the Crystal Empire. I am still wondering why we didn't see Sunburst in this episode?

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2019, 02:54:02 AM »
I've just accepted the fact the writers on this show are completely clueless and just do whatever they want.

You know, I unplugged from FiM completely between seasons.  It made me realize how loud and screechy Pinkie Pie's voice is.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2019, 04:36:59 AM »
I think my biggest issue with these two episodes was Luna and Celestia suddenly summoning the mane six and being all "Hey there.   I think we're gonna retire in a few days so yeah you guys can totally take over.  K? Thx."    That just seemed so out of character for them to just suddenly spring something like that.   It just felt weird (to me).

That's why I thought it was a hoax or that Celestia had been replaced by Chrysalis. It's so out of left field, so weird.
They had an entire episode about how stressful the princess days and nights are. So tailored to them they can't just switch places. And now Twilight is supposed to do both.
I guess Cadance is still there but she is too weak to guard her own child.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2019, 04:48:37 AM »
I think my biggest issue with these two episodes was Luna and Celestia suddenly summoning the mane six and being all "Hey there.   I think we're gonna retire in a few days so yeah you guys can totally take over.  K? Thx."    That just seemed so out of character for them to just suddenly spring something like that.   It just felt weird (to me).

That's why I thought it was a hoax or that Celestia had been replaced by Chrysalis. It's so out of left field, so weird.
They had an entire episode about how stressful the princess days and nights are. So tailored to them they can't just switch places. And now Twilight is supposed to do both.

Spoiler
Another thing I've been trying to figure out is why Shining Armor stopped Cadance from trying to attack Sombra after he captured Flurry Heart. I assume it's because he didn't want Flurry to be harmed accidently but that made it even easier for Sombra to take over the Empire.

Ponyfan

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2019, 07:40:30 AM »

Spoiler
Another thing I've been trying to figure out is why Shining Armor stopped Cadance from trying to attack Sombra after he captured Flurry Heart. I assume it's because he didn't want Flurry to be harmed accidently but that made it even easier for Sombra to take over the Empire.

Ponyfan

That's how I took it as well. But it was all so rushed, I hardly understood what was going on until I watched that scene again.
I think it was lazy not to bring up Flurry's magical powers again. It's like all the ingredients were there to age up Flurry and make it clear she is the new ruler. She was born an alicorn princess, I really thought the writers would jump on that and develop her further. But instead they wrote her out, just like Cadence. Cadence is so useless nowadays and only there to be a mom.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2019, 06:41:09 PM »
Actually, Grogar did practice necromancy in this premier when he brought Sombra back from the dead.  Though, he had no control over them.

Still, that misinterpretation of what the original Grogar has always bothered me.  My only guess is necromancy is commonly conflated with Voodoo which is associated with goats since the animals are a convenient source of body parts and fluids, and Grogar is a goat.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2019, 09:02:14 PM »
And here we go with the Superfriends memes for the show (along with League Of Super Evil). Plus Legion of Doom seems to be the accepted name of the group now :

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2019, 10:09:03 AM »
I mean, I don't know about the rest of you but I can't think of anyone better suited to ruling an entire empire than a sulky fashion designer, a stubborn farmer, a reckless daredevil, an insane party planner, a cripplingly shy wallflower, and an eternal student so egotistical as to think she is the world's only authority on how to make friends.  /s

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2019, 10:34:06 AM »
First we had an episode where Starlight straight up murders banishes Discord and he returns as a ghost, and now one where Discord pretends to be mortally wounded. I firmly believe that the writers want to kill him off, and there's just one writer frantically rewriting all the scripts to make them child friendly. One of these days, that one writer will fail. Soon enough  :devious:

I like what Grogar said about using cooperation against the mane 6. I always did wonder what would happen if a set of villains became ~true friends~ and used the ~magic of friendship~ against the girls. I imagine that's why Grogar brought Cozy Glow into the mix, she has been studying the subject after all.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2019, 10:42:11 AM »

Spoiler

Ponyfan

That's how I took it as well. But it was all so rushed, I hardly understood what was going on until I watched that scene again.
I think it was lazy not to bring up Flurry's magical powers again. It's like all the ingredients were there to age up Flurry and make it clear she is the new ruler. She was born an alicorn princess, I really thought the writers would jump on that and develop her further. But instead they wrote her out, just like Cadence. Cadence is so useless nowadays and only there to be a mom.

Spoiler
The only other thing I can think of is that the magic Sombra used to hold Flurry stopped her from being able to use her powers but I would have liked Shining Armor or Cadance to at least try to take Flurry away from Sombra.

I'm also still wondering why Sombra ordered the royal family muzzled and chained when they forced to bow before them but as soon as they're in the crystal prison they are no longer chained or muzzled.

Ponyfan

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2019, 01:24:39 PM »
Those screencaps of G4 Grogar are so paintul to look at :yikes:
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2019, 02:02:58 PM »
I mean, I don't know about the rest of you but I can't think of anyone better suited to ruling an entire empire than a sulky fashion designer, a stubborn farmer, a reckless daredevil, an insane party planner, a cripplingly shy wallflower, and an eternal student so egotistical as to think she is the world's only authority on how to make friends.  /s

bu-bu-but friendship is magic SKEEN!! MAGIC! (but seriously when I read your post I almost spit out my coke trying not to laugh)

I'm more still trying to get over the idea of Gusty is now suddenly canon. The idea that it made her more official because they talked about her on an episode of FIM.

I guess I should be thankful I'm a toy collector and consider the actual physical toys Canon and the stuff on the TV shows are accessories to the real deal.

I actually missed both of these episodes, my DVR forgot to record and some of us are working on Saturday, but meh, it sounds like and from what I've seen in clips on youtube, etc. that they turned Sombra into another flimsy bad-guy that tries to take over. In this one case I would have wished for a redemptive story instead of oh, he just wants to take over and then, blam the evil crystal bad guy disappear again.

Meh to all the evildoers in ponyland, we actually don't need those elements are harmony after all. It doesn't matter that we went through so many seasons trying to find, protect, recreate the elements, destroy my house, rebuild it and now...nevermind we don't need the elements afterall.

Either way it was nice to see Sombra holding a baby. :p

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2019, 02:07:34 PM »
I think the remaining three villains are going to become friends, realize that friendship is magic,  and help the ponies in the end.
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2019, 03:46:41 PM »
I would say something, but then my country is run by a reserve yod-dropping reality TV star.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2019, 06:33:22 PM »
I'm more still trying to get over the idea of Gusty is now suddenly canon. The idea that it made her more official because they talked about her on an episode of FIM.

What's the problem with Gusty being on FiM?
Some of us like to see previous characters getting brought over into new gens. It's like when they mentioned "General Firefly" or had cameos of Toola Roola and Coconut Cream. And well, AJ was just cloned twice :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal