collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "The Beginning of the End" S9 Ep 1 & 2 Discussion  (Read 11787 times)

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
Re: "The Beginning of the End" S9 Ep 1 & 2 Discussion
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2019, 08:12:49 AM »
I'm more still trying to get over the idea of Gusty is now suddenly canon. The idea that it made her more official because they talked about her on an episode of FIM.

What's the problem with Gusty being on FiM?
Some of us like to see previous characters getting brought over into new gens. It's like when they mentioned "General Firefly" or had cameos of Toola Roola and Coconut Cream. And well, AJ was just cloned twice :lol:

I don't believe I said anything was wrong with Gusty being mentioned in FIM? If you read that part you quoted of me again, I think it's fairly clear it's more a reaction to the reaction.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2019, 09:09:25 AM »
Poor ol' North Star, getting thrown under the bus like that :p I'd imagine they used Gusty because she's more popular/recognizable/etc.. even pre-G4 I saw more fanart of Gusty than North Star.

I mean, I don't know about the rest of you but I can't think of anyone better suited to ruling an entire empire than a sulky fashion designer, a stubborn farmer, a reckless daredevil, an insane party planner, a cripplingly shy wallflower, and an eternal student so egotistical as to think she is the world's only authority on how to make friends.  /s

:lmao:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: \"The Beginning of the End\" S9 Ep 1 & 2 Discussion
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2019, 12:28:06 PM »
I'm more still trying to get over the idea of Gusty is now suddenly canon. The idea that it made her more official because they talked about her on an episode of FIM.

Some of us like to see previous characters getting brought over into new gens. It's like when they mentioned "General Firefly" or had cameos of Toola Roola and Coconut Cream. And well, AJ was just cloned twice :lol:

I don't believe I said anything was wrong with Gusty being mentioned in FIM? If you read that part you quoted of me again, I think it's fairly clear it's more a reaction to the reaction.

Your reaction seemed negative towards FiM canonizing Gusty. At least that's how it came across to me when you wrote that you have to try to "get over the idea that Gusty is now suddenly canon". If nothing is wrong with her being on FiM then why do you have to try to get over it? Is what I am not understanding here.

I come from Hasbro Transformers fandom where characters get reused all the time and appear in new gens. I like it.
Especially when they give G1 ponies high ranks and talk about them adoringly. It's a bit like G4 is paying respect to the first gen (kinda failed doing that with Tirek but that's also just my opinion).
Gusty being the one who defeated Grogar in G4 is cool in my book. And even cooler now that Grogar is real a.k.a. canon in FiM and so is the G4 Gusty who fought him. Praise to G1 ponies :cool:

Post Merge: April 11, 2019, 12:30:58 PM

Poor ol' North Star, getting thrown under the bus like that :p I'd imagine they used Gusty because she's more popular/recognizable/etc.. even pre-G4 I saw more fanart of Gusty than North Star.

I for one am shocked they even knew about Gusty and didn't use a random rainbow or collector pose pony. Hasbro seems to be so keen on them and only them (plus Princess Sparkle) to use for their classic merch line.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:30:58 PM by Zapper »

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2019, 01:52:22 PM »
The way I read Karen's post is that she was surprised at how some people had commented "Gusty is canon!", not that she had a problem w/ Gusty being in G4... I could be wrong though.

Gusty seems to be reasonably popular w/ bronies; maybe that's how they found out about her?

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2019, 03:53:58 PM »
Here's a screencap of Twilight reading the book about Gusty the Great from "Flurry of Emotions"

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2019, 04:58:38 PM »

Your reaction seemed negative towards FiM canonizing Gusty. At least that's how it came across to me when you wrote that you have to try to "get over the idea that Gusty is now suddenly canon". If nothing is wrong with her being on FiM then why do you have to try to get over it? Is what I am not understanding here.

uh, no, plus I clarified so I'm not sure why you are trying to explain what I meant? What you are implying is incorrect. So either you accept my clarification or you don't, other folks seem to have gotten what I was reacting to.

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2019, 05:56:26 PM »
Alright, simmer down guys. I thought our attitudes had gotten better since we closed the FIM board. Please act civil with each other.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2019, 06:26:39 PM »
The writer of Flurry of Emotions actually had a panel at Pony Fair 2018! She said that she's a big fan of the G1 series and wanted to add a little nod, and she used Gusty's name as the name of the pony from the story Twilight was reading to the hospital kids. She did mention that she only submitted the name in passing but didn't design the prop itself, so someone in the animation/design department did a little bit of research to get the right colors. I'd imagine they used her just because it was someone the team was already familiar with.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2019, 12:57:26 AM »
I saw a really funny conversation on a discussion post about the premiere on dA haha. It went something like this:

Person 1: Who was that pony they kept mentioning? Crusty? Grusty?
Person 2: I think it's a white pegasus from G1

Offline TJgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2019, 02:42:35 AM »
I saw a really funny conversation on a discussion post about the premiere on dA haha. It went something like this:

Haha. I've read someone mishearing that as "Dusty".   :lol:
I'd be shocked if we see Gusty again, even if just a flashback or hologram or something. It'd be even more surprising if Nancy Cartwright reprised her role.
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2019, 12:59:49 PM »

Haha. I've read someone mishearing that as "Dusty".   :lol:
I'd be shocked if we see Gusty again, even if just a flashback or hologram or something. It'd be even more surprising if Nancy Cartwright reprised her role.

The way Grogar talked I had to rewind (I record the episodes when they air to watch later) when he mentioned Gusty as I wasn't quite sure that he said her name the first time.  I can totally see someone mishearing her name. :lol:

I also think it would be fun to see Gusty in someway in FIM.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2019, 07:37:11 AM »
aww the book's cute, they even got her maple leaves in there. That's a nice touch.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: \\\"The Beginning of the End\\\" S9 Ep 1 & 2 Discussion
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2019, 09:42:52 AM »

Here, I'm just gonna come out and say it since I botched my explanation last time.

Its the brony attitude that past characters can only be valid and canon IF they are on the FiM show or else they think they don't count, that rankles.

Disclaimer: I  know people here don't think that way.

Post Merge: April 13, 2019, 09:48:55 AM

Actually, Grogar did practice necromancy in this premier when he brought Sombra back from the dead.  Though, he had no control over them.

Still, that misinterpretation of what the original Grogar has always bothered me.  My only guess is necromancy is commonly conflated with Voodoo which is associated with goats since the animals are a convenient source of body parts and fluids, and Grogar is a goat.

Still aint necromancy.

Post Merge: April 13, 2019, 09:52:34 AM

I mean, I don't know about the rest of you but I can't think of anyone better suited to ruling an entire empire than a sulky fashion designer, a stubborn farmer, a reckless daredevil, an insane party planner, a cripplingly shy wallflower, and an eternal student so egotistical as to think she is the world's only authority on how to make friends.  /s

:haha:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 09:52:34 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal