collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Flaws common to specific ponies?  (Read 4078 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Flaws common to specific ponies?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 05:50:44 PM »
My sister has a Seashore which is a beautiful shade of...goose poop.

My MOC one is a dark aqua colour, and my loose one is snotty beige. How that transition happens is a mystery to me, but anyway. Snotty beige is better than goose poop, but I prefer the dark aqua ;)

I have only seen Seawinkle in a dark rich lobsterish colour.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 06:40:47 PM »
Most of the ones I had come to mind were already mentioned. The Sunshine ponies with frizzy stripes are always fun. I've seen no Seaflowers with frizzless hair, but my Wave Runner has no frizz issues.
Baby Blossom usually ends up a delightfully dreary off-white color at some point. I am now the lucky owner of a Cloud Puff with the most delightfully interesting regrind. I feel like Gingerbread gets rock hard more often than other ponies?
I think Seashell always has some sort of purple issue?
On that note, I know a lot of the G4s that are bright purple have MAJOR head/body mismatch issues. Even the Twilights from the early years always look off.
Oh, and the Precious Pocket ponies and their missing symbols.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 07:39:06 PM »
My sister has a Seashore which is a beautiful shade of...goose poop.

My MOC one is a dark aqua colour, and my loose one is snotty beige. How that transition happens is a mystery to me, but anyway. Snotty beige is better than goose poop, but I prefer the dark aqua ;)

I have only seen Seawinkle in a dark rich lobsterish colour.

Snotty beige is the perfect description! :lol: It's like the color just gives up completely and turns some shade of tan/brown no matter what it was before. My Seawinkle's body is a gross shade of khaki. She really does look like a booger with a cute pony face! XD

Adult seaponies have their own problems with discoloration too, especially White Cap and Sea Mist. And that's on top of the rust and mold that comes with the bath-toy territory. :(

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 01:51:39 AM »
flutterponies and their wings...They always seem to get lost, broken, ect. My one flutterpony rosedust came with no wings, nUt I love her either way :)
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 02:04:32 AM »
I don't think there's any such thing as a perfectly white Quackers, they always have brown spots.

Sweetstuff (and some others in that pose?) has a tendency to become rock-hard.

Ponies who originally had curly hair are prone to ending up very frizzy.

And a lot of Sweetheart Sisters have serious trouble standing up straight!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 03:46:38 AM »

Adult seaponies have their own problems with discoloration too, especially White Cap and Sea Mist. And that's on top of the rust and mold that comes with the bath-toy territory. :(

This is sadly so true. I love White Cap and Sea Mist, but both mine are slowly becoming things of horror through the discolouration of the plastic. I would really love Basic FUn to make this set, even just those two, just so I know what they actually look like in proper white. Because they weren't sold here and I have never seen an actually white White Cap or Sea Mist.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 03:52:11 AM »
Most of what I would have said has already been covered by others  :)

I have seen so many Applejacks with pin dot problems, and Posey with highlighter marks. TE ponies often lose the shine on their eyes, or even worse they become damaged. Secret Surprise ponies lose their keys, or even the entire saddle.

Almost ALL ponies lose their ribbons (grr!) - what's up with that? Pesky ribbon-losing ponies.

Ponies who had really long hair to start with often end up having it in dreadlocks, or - gasp - cut by frustrated kids / parents of kids. While the brush and grow ponies mechanisms break. In fact I suppose we should be impressed by all the mechanisms / gimmicks that are NOT broken after 30 or so years.

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2019, 03:58:33 AM »
One of the common flaws that makes me sad is the G3 divine shine ponies losing all their glitter! :( so far mine are still sparkly, but I can feel their plastic is breaking down, so it may just be a matter of time before it dissolves away. I've tried to keep them out of the sunlight and in a pretty steady climate, but it doesn't seem there's much rhyme or reason to the way these girls deteriorate. It's too bad because they're such a pretty set!

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2019, 05:48:30 AM »
Sugarberry with ingrined dirt in her legs...
FF ponies with cancer and yellowing.
MPP with cloudy eyes and frizzy hair.
BBE's with demonic rust...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Cottononi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Teeny Tiny Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2019, 08:28:30 AM »
Little off-topic, but speaking of frizzy/tangled pony hair, do any of those who grew up with G1 remember if pony hair got messy easily? Because when you have a silky haired G1 pony now, it feels that the hair gets combed straight with only few brush strokes. Is it just that most kids didn't have to tame their ponies' hair? Or was it same as nowadays when it feels that modern -clearly lower quality- hair gets tangled even if the pony isn't actively played with?

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2019, 08:34:12 AM »
The ponies I had all had nice silky hair EXCEPT:  Skydancer, who had a frizzy tail.  (While Parasol from the same set has a silky tail so . . . I dunno.)  And Bouquet, whose hair got tangled just from being so long.  (It was still pretty silky though.)  No, it would not get messed up if you just left the pony alone and didn't play with her.  And even if you were actively brushing her, most of the time the hair stayed silky.

But it does depend on the hair color I think, like I don't know that I've ever seen a Surprise with hair that I would call "silky".  It's always a bit coarse.  And her hair would certainly get frizzy from brushing more easily than a Glory or a Lemon Drop.

In general, though, G1 ponies just had really silky, high quality hair . . . not just "compared to 2019 toys", but also compared to other 80s toys.  Like, Barbie and Little Pretties and She-Ra had NOTHING on pony hair.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 08:36:05 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2019, 08:43:03 AM »
Honeycomb has the same hair shade as Surprise with no extreme frizz problems like Surprise has, so I think that's curl more than colour tbh. Mimic's streak is also that neon colour, but straight hair doesn't have the same problems as curly.

Curly...Shady's the only early pony I have whose curls stayed intact because I never brushed her. Her tail is a bit messy now. My Cherries J had terrible hair but that was mostly because I made her swim in puddles. I don't recommend this xd.

I used to style and brush my ponies a lot, esp the 2 Brush & Grows. Braided Beauty's tail has shown the damage of this, although I keep it braided it is frizzed at the end. Her mane is fine. Stargleamer is a bit generally the worse for wear, same issue with the tail - mane it's the tinsel more than the hair that's the problem.

The biggest issues hairwise among my childhood ponies - Sand Digger's white sections (unsurprising) and also any from the 1992 line that have the coarser hair (so all the teeny tinies for a start...)

Brightglow somehow got away with having half curly and half straight hair from factory and yet has escaped frizz completely so far. I had her from new and I used to style her straight sections but the most I ever really did to the curly bits was comb and tie a ribbon in them.

My Strawberry Fair had curls, had them accidentally washed out, so had straight hair for several years. I then put tiny braids in her mane for a year or two. Then I washed those out and recurled it. Now her hair is still curly albeit recurled and not frizzy. That's a lot of abuse but the mane survived. I had to do a lot of work on the tail to curl it and hide the frizzy ends though...

I think G1 hair survived better than some new pony hair does, and was more reasonable in its quantity most of the time than the overheavy manes and tails of G3 and G4. But curly definitely has more long term issues than straight, and different hair fibres WERE used which also have an impact.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2019, 10:32:21 AM »
Honeycomb and the black pin-dot smooze.
I have found so many Honeycombs that have this, it's such an effort to wash it off! *scrape, scrape, scrape*

Scratched-up TE eye jewels.

Baby Blossom turning grey.

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2019, 12:05:04 PM »
I saw talk of tippin poses and I gotta say, the only poses that tip over for me are collector pose, Tootsie, and Dainty (SHS) but the latter two just have misbent legs.

Also, can confirm both my Sugarberrys have had coarse hair while my Cherry Treats has silky hair. Also my roller skating pony came to me with missing wheels but at least her mechanism still works!
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2019, 03:47:53 PM »
I think the curliness is a factor, but not the only factor because long-haired Bow Tie, Applejack, Medley, and Firefly have silky hair . . . Their hair seems identical to their straight-haired versions, just shorter.  Cherries Jubilee (US curly haired version) usually has silky hair when I find her . . . I recently got a Bonnie Bonnets and even though her curls were a bit messy, they weren't frizzy and I easily reformed them so they looked nice.

Seems to be a combo of certain hair colors + curls that leads to frizziness.  Maybe certain colors reacted poorly to . . . whatever the factory technique was that Hasbro used for curls.

I agree that the G1s had a more balanced look than the G3s / G4s who have a ton of mane and not much tail.  (And the tails are also placed weirdly low on the G4s.)  I honestly don't like the trend of having manes down to the floor either, but that's just personal preference.  I get that 'hair play' is part of the brand, but it makes them look less horsey.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal