collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Mimic Lost in the UK Post ;-;  (Read 10400 times)

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Mimic Lost in the UK Post ;-;
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2019, 10:43:49 AM »
Ah :( I'm happy you are at least not out of pocket, but losing a Mimic is still too sad... I'll still be keeping my fingers crossed for you. I just recently (during the winter) had a package getting declared as lost by Royal Mail, but then it reappeared a few weeks after. It took a REALLY long time to finally get to me (together with getting lost and being redelivered it was almost 2 months), but it was not urgent, and I was just very happy things turned out fine in the end :) I'll be wishing the same for you and your buyer!

As for the postal situation, I'm sure Taffeta has more insight as a first-hand experiencer, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were delays in the UK mailing system right now. As a result of the current situation, a lot of people I know are currently making massive purchases from the UK to stock up on things they used to get from there in the past. I know this is technically mail going the other direction, but it might still keep the overall system busier than usual.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2019, 10:46:34 AM »
Reality is that I don't think anything officially has disrupted post yet. But I hadn't thought about people doing what you suggest, Loona. That might have an impact.

Recently I sent something within the UK 2nd class, though, which usually takes 2 days, and it got there in 1. I wouldn't like to guess what the situation will be like next week yet, but for the rest of this week it should be okay.

I also think Mimic will show up. It's hard to guess where, but I think it's probable she's in customs or more likely, where glitterball suggested. It *is* an increasing problem with slips not being put through the door and thus people not being alerted to parcels waiting for them. My depot helpfully does the opposite, it signs for stuff that has a custom charge before sending the slip, so I often get told it's been delivered prior to my getting it (you can imagine how annoying that is) but I know of other people who don't get cards any more and have to play hide and seek with the depot staff to find their post.

If this is the case, when she is unclaimed, she'll be sent back to the original sender. Let's hope that she ends up in one or other location at least.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 10:48:29 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2019, 01:47:59 AM »
I really hope she turns up! Please let us know what happens.

Poor (temporarily) lost Mimic.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2019, 10:57:20 AM »
Case closed. Buyer refunded by eBay as she should have been. Spoke to Paypal and I have to take it up with the postal services. Royal Mail says talk to USPS. USPS says it went to customs; not our problem.

Hard Lesson Learned.

So ebay refunded the buyer out of your funds? Ebay did not cover you ???

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2019, 11:07:03 AM »
Case closed. Buyer refunded by eBay as she should have been. Spoke to Paypal and I have to take it up with the postal services. Royal Mail says talk to USPS. USPS says it went to customs; not our problem.

Hard Lesson Learned.

Sellers have to cover themselves with insurance/indemnity.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2019, 04:03:18 PM »
Ouch. Once my pony turned up a month late and I did actually contact the seller and manage to pay them the money (Ebay had already given me an automatic refund in the meantime). I hope the same happens for you.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2019, 03:33:18 AM »

Hard Lesson Learned.

Sellers have to cover themselves with insurance/indemnity.

I agree with banditpony.

The lesson is, get insurance. Not "don't ship overseas".

The reason I emphasise that is that if you take the approach that "I will always ship with the correct insurance value", then wherever you ship an item, you are always covered for the full amount if it goes missing.

If you take the approach, "I will not ship rare items overseas any more", then you risk another similar situation if you ship a rare pony within the US without proper insurance and it goes missing.

As a seller you put yourself at risk if you don't consider how to protect yourself in all postage situations, and it's far too easy for people to just blame "foreign stuff" and assume that's the reason for the problem.

I feel very strongly about this.

I also feel that, with this being a global community, we should be putting more emphasis on how to help sellers confused or scared about international shipping to debunk the myths and move forward. I think that would be more helpful than tolerating rants against international shipping for spurious or generalised reasons.

Obviously I believe that everyone has the right to ship where they choose. What I would like to see change is not that everyone ships internationally, since there are many reaons that some people can't. What I want to change is that negative and often exaggerated rumours of the hassle of international shipping are less encouraged.

Reality is that shipping internationally is neither risky nor hard. I feel there's a barrier of assumption or lack of knowledge that's made it more ok to make sweeping statements. But we're a global community who should support each other more. And if that means being more explicit about things like insurance, custom fees, and how to lay down the law to a buyer who complains about those things, then that's what we should be doing.

Finally, I still think the pony will show at one place or another. But if it is sitting in a depot it will go back to the seller. In which case, the deficit will be covered. It could take some months, though. I'd love it for us to be informed if she does, indeed, show up.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2019, 02:45:32 PM »
I still bellow in agreement from the rooftops with Taffeta.
Sellers should never send without insurance, ideally the buyer should pay for it, but unless you want to give the pony away for free or risk it getting lost/destroyed, that's what the service is for.

It just doesn't feel good to be told byso many MLP sellers that they refuse to do business with me based on the fact that I live in Canada, just based on a previous transaction that went faulty because it was not insured properly. That isn't my fault, why should any future business I want to have be quashed at the outset?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 02:48:29 PM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2019, 02:30:48 AM »
I agree with you guys, and I live in the USA.

It really doesn't add much more time to just charge proper shipping with insurance when it comes to more valuable items.

If you can't do priority mail (cost?), then you can get it for intl first class by using Shipcover through ebay: https://pages.ebay.com/insurance/shipping/shipcover.html
ShipCover insurance costs $1.65 per $100
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 02:34:51 AM by banditpony »

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2019, 03:19:05 AM »
*hugs Cherry* :hug:  What a stressful situation  :(  I do think that Mimic will turn up eventually. As mentioned it's rare for an item to not show up at all unless the address part of the packaging is completely messed up (both addresses, otherwise the pony will either go to the buyer eventually or make her way back to you in the US .. it may take a couple of months. 2 - 3 months I've known it to happen in the past  :awake:
The post here in the UK is not being affected by the  (*shudder* :yikes: ) "B" word  :whew:  unless as Loona suggested it's especially busy due to overseas buyers buying from here in case of possible disruption caused by (that word I hate) . As far as that's concerned at least there is a 6 month delay now ;) but any time of the year when there is more post than usual causes delays as you know.
Personally I always ship with tracking now. I like to ship internationally and buy internationally , but I understand that to keep both buyer and seller covered in cases like yours, it's much better to pay the extra for shipping tracked, and ask my buyers to do the same.  If you offer to sell to international peeps with tracking/insurance only then it is their choice to make, it covers you in case anything goes amiss in the post, but doesn't mean anyone loses out. Hope that makes sense? :what:  With HTF /expensive ponies and customs people are usually more than willing to pay a bit more to make sure their pony arrives safely :)
For example : I'd still like the option to buy from you another time  but I'd happily pay  insurance/tracking. Just as I ask other international people who buy items from me  to pay for the tracked service too :relaxed:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2019, 03:58:28 AM »
I think if the B word (am in total agreement with you Ringlets on that) does ultimately affect post in and out of the UK, we will probably have to make a thread in this forum to explain the changes (if we even understand them) and the possible delays.

I'm annoyed by the B word too, but just as annoyed by people pretending like it won't have any impact. Reality is that if there is a no-deal (either now in June or Oct), added tarrifs immediately come into play on EU stuff, much of which is currently sent without a customs form, so if borders have to do extra checks on all that stuff they currently don't check, things will get slowed down. That is a worst case scenario, but ignoring that it could happen is as ridiculous as the B word itself.

The reason I mention that is that the biggest cause of problems in transactions, international or domestic, is not knowing stuff. If you know properly how to ship internationally, use insurance, stand firm on custom forms, fill in a custom form, and what the various postage options are - then obviously there's less of a problem than if you just trot to the PO and hope everything will be fine.

Reality is knowledge is power. *shrug*.

I also think there's no real malice in the sweeping generalisations people make about overseas shipping, but there's a lack of understanding about the impact of those decisions. Its easy for people to make sweeping statements if they've never been on the receiving end of a generalised ban based on (sometimes very vague) geography.

We have to stop normalising using international collectors as a convenient scapegoat for not knowing stuff.

I don't want to make it like I'm putting all the blame on the OP, I'm not. What has happened here sucks and I really hope the pony is returned back to her. It just sucks most because instead of taking the right lesson from the experience, about taking proper precautions on expensive items, it's become another nail in the coffin of international trading.

I've noticed that in the last couple of years, where previously many US people were knowledgeable about the systems and happy to ship internationally, there's been a return to domestic only and all the old falsehoods about the global market. I don't know if it's because postage in the US has changed so much or if it's just people who had experience being replaced by those that don't, but it's a worrying trend that's complicating collecting for people all over the world.

I think there's more we can do to help make the prospect of shipping overseas less scary and more accessible - for everyone.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2019, 04:09:08 AM »
No worries . If and when anything does happen to change things when it comes to the UK post/customs etc  then of course we'll make a post about it here. That's only fair. I'm just saying that for now nothing has changed with our postal system or customs fees in the UK.   If it does change then we'll definitely inform people  :awake:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2019, 05:07:58 AM »
No worries . If and when anything does happen to change things when it comes to the UK post/customs etc  then of course we'll make a post about it here. That's only fair. I'm just saying that for now nothing has changed with our postal system or customs fees in the UK.   If it does change then we'll definitely inform people  :awake:

I agree Ringlets, no point in stressing about what might be until we actually know what's going to happen. In the meantime let's enjoy being in the UK for a few more months.

Also hindsight is a wonderful thing. The item was posted with tracking, I think Cherry was being a responsible seller when she did so. Fingers crossed Mimic shows up which I am quietly confident she will!

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2019, 05:21:12 AM »
Thank you guys for the support!! :hug: It really does help!! :lovey:

*hugs Cherry* :hug:  What a stressful situation  :(  I do think that Mimic will turn up eventually. As mentioned it's rare for an item to not show up at all unless the address part of the packaging is completely messed up (both addresses, otherwise the pony will either go to the buyer eventually or make her way back to you in the US .. it may take a couple of months. 2 - 3 months I've known it to happen in the past  :awake:

Thanks, Hun. Once upon a time, a long, long time ago I had a package go missing overseas (I believe it was Europe-bound and made it there) that traveled the globe for four months before coming back to me! I would like to hope that Mimic is not fated to spend eternity in that dark box!

Now that I have gotten over the situation a little I did want to post one last time and add some clarification to this post. This is an abridged version of the transaction in its entirety:

The shipping service my buyer paid for came with tracking and some insurance, although it was not sent Priority. She was shipped Mar 1st. Tracking shows the package leaving the US and then scanned into the UK tracking system three times in two different locations. The last scan was Mar 7th. I contacted my buyer on the 22nd inquiring about the pony. My buyer said she had been busy, no had not received the package and would check with her postal service. She got back with me in a couple of days and said that she was told by the post that the parcel was lost and she requested "a resolution" from me at that time. I then instructed her to contact eBay and begin a case/dispute and let eBay know that the package was lost in transit. Once the case was opened my Paypal account then showed a negative balance for the amount of her payment to me. I added tracking to the case and we were required to wait until past the shipping window for eBay to step in. Once eBay stepped in they favored my Buyer who then, of course, "won the dispute." My Paypal account was "debited the money that she paid me on the original purchase" aka, the negative balance remained.
I then tried to contact my buyer again to get a confirmation that she did indeed receive her refund, but she has not responded in several days, so I am assuming that she did.

At this point, I contacted eBay and Paypal. And this is where it gets fun; eBay said I needed to take it up with Paypal. Paypal said I needed to take it up with the shipping services. I contacted the Royal Mail and was told that I needed to contact the original posting company. And of course, when I spoke with USPS they said they have fulfilled their shipping services once it gets to customs, which tracking shows it obviously did.

I've done this dance before. I cannot speak for others who use USPS in their areas but in mine, it is damn near impossible to get reimbursement for a claim, regardless of whether or not it was lost in the domestic US. And once it goes outside of the States everybody passes the buck and the seller/shipper has very little to no recourse. Except to pray that the merch comes back one fine day.

So, I'll pray for Mimic. If she ever comes back to me I will update this thread. And again, thanks for all the support while I've dealt with this ick. I've appreciated it. :happy:

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2019, 07:20:51 AM »
You need to open a claim if you had insurance.

Neither PayPal not eBay are going to ever help you with this. You have to take it up with the shipping service who insured it. You NEED to make a claim.

And it could be it was only insured within the us, I don't know what you chose. But there are options for getting things insured in other countries.

Do you want to give more details we we can try to help you not be out of money?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 07:24:40 AM by banditpony »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal