collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: No Longer Actively Collecting  (Read 4939 times)

Offline MLPgal13

• Trade Count: (+123)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Thanks for my Avie Calico <3
    • View Profile
No Longer Actively Collecting
« on: March 28, 2019, 01:18:32 PM »
Collecting ponies filled a void in my heart for many many years. Collecting them, hunting them and owning them gave me moments of joy that I desperately needed. I will always be MLPgal however, long story short, I've massed quite a collection that I'd like to sell off as I am no longer an active collector. However, Selling them one at a time on eBay seems very time consuming and honestly the eBay fees have totally gotten out of hand in my opinion.

I am sure this question has been asked time and time again but I really would like to know everyone's opinion on the best way to sell these off. I will be keep some of my harder to find and my most loved ponies but I literally have hundreds to sell off. 

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: No Longer Actively Collecting
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 02:05:49 PM »
I think it depends what you want. Unload them quick, or make the most back.

eBay in the end has the best exposure/ most buyers and probably is the fastest.

Otherwise another popular option is Facebook?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 02:53:15 PM »
In addition to eBay and Facebook, you can also sell here on the Arena!

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 04:22:47 PM »
Totally here at the Arena! You will know the buyers, and there are no fees!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 05:51:06 PM »
Idk if this is what exactly you're asking but if you're looking to sell them efficiently, you could group some together either by year, colour, mould, ect or it could be going through someone's wish list and offering a bundle to them, having someone else go through your list and coming to an agreement, or messaging you to ask which ponies you have and deciding on a bundle.
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 09:15:32 AM »
My suggestions would be:

- Craigslist, it's free to list and people often pay with cash.  Which means no fee at all.  Also means you don't have to ship.  However, you may not get any interest if there aren't any collectors in your area.  My feeling on Craigslist is "try it, but don't invest a lot of time in it."

- Facebook.  There are lots of MLP and vintage toy Facebook groups, join as many of them as possible (that are relevant.)  Read the rules first, of course, and make sure they allow selling.  Also list them in Facebook's Marketplace.  You can list in multiple groups + Facebook's Marketplace at the same time.  It's free.

- eBay.  eBay charges about 10% on final value fees.  On the one hand, that is pretty expensive.  On the other hand eBay is STILL the place that has the biggest audience.  Most of the ponies I sell, I sell through eBay.

- Forums like the Arena and Trading Post.  But it's hard to move "regular" ponies (like Sundance, Cotton Candy, etc) here because most members have been here so long they have all the common ponies they need.  Good for selling rare ponies.

As far as selling quickly, I'd group them by sets ("The Sparkle pony set, the TAF set" etc) and / or offer discounts when people buy multiples.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline MLPgal13

• Trade Count: (+123)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Thanks for my Avie Calico <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 01:03:36 PM »
What a task this is going to be! To take pics and researching each pony! Just something I have to dive into I guess.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 01:55:24 PM »
Advice: do groups of 10 at a time, it is less overwhelming that way
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Shileah

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 05:44:40 AM »

- Forums like the Arena and Trading Post.  But it's hard to move "regular" ponies (like Sundance, Cotton Candy, etc) here because most members have been here so long they have all the common ponies they need.  Good for selling rare ponies.

As far as selling quickly, I'd group them by sets ("The Sparkle pony set, the TAF set" etc) and / or offer discounts when people buy multiples.

While there certainly is a fairly high number of people that already have a lot/most/all of the more common ponies, there are still always new or returning collectors here, too. I would be more than happy to buy a whole set from a collector here, even if it is all common ponies. Trust levels here on the Arena are much higher, and if I am buying from a fellow collector and not just someone who swaps stuff, I can be sure that the ponies have been well taken care of and are probably in a better condition than from Dave Random on eBay!

Just to make sure I am not misunderstood, I'm not saying you are wrong, not at all! I just wanted to advocate trying to sell here too  :)
Specifically looking for G1 with pen markings similar to this (my initials - W.S.):

Instagram

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 05:56:45 AM »
Advice: do groups of 10 at a time, it is less overwhelming that way

This is what I wanted to suggest. Group up commons into lots. And then sell ponies worth more than $20 by themselves.

I tend to group up ponies in whatever is <1lb to keep shipping down so overall cost is lower but with the way shipping prices are, not sure that matters anymore..

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 12:21:28 AM »
As you are a collector and know your ponies, I don't think you really need to group them in sets as such. There are plenty of mixed lots out there (I'm talking about eBay here, but you could sell anywhere you please). You could always group say 10-15 ponies randomly together and just sell like that. In this way you can also sell your Cotton Candies, Blossoms and Applejacks by just popping one into each lot. I love looking for those lots and seeing what might be in them myself, and I can't imagine I am alone in that. Good luck  :)

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 03:41:11 AM »
I think you've got plenty good advice on this  (thanks everyone!! :grouphug: )  It's not going to be quick and easy, but work through gradually and you'll be ok  :) . Don't try to do too many in one go. Ebay is the place to make the most profit , here is the best place to find another collector with good feedback /good standing in the community to deal with more personally if you'd rather lower the risk of selling to a non-paying bidder or potential scammer :awake:
One thing to keep in mind - if you have a really common pony , but the condition is immaculate (added bonus if you have the original accessories but if not just make the pony look nice by adding a ribbon or two - make sure to put in the description if the ribbon is original/genuine mlp or not) , you can still make a decent profit on them on ebay  :D . I found that out with a Cotton Candy , Windy and Apple jack. There are usually collectors out there who are looking for a mint upgrade, and there are also new collectors who are starting out and looking for ponies already in good condition.
Otherwise the best way to sell off very common ponies is definitely to put them in groups but with more valuable HTF ponies so that you make decent money at the same time. Hope that helps a bit :relaxed: 

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 05:24:23 AM »
I think you've got plenty good advice on this  (thanks everyone!! :grouphug: )  It's not going to be quick and easy, but work through gradually and you'll be ok  :) . Don't try to do too many in one go. Ebay is the place to make the most profit , here is the best place to find another collector with good feedback /good standing in the community to deal with more personally if you'd rather lower the risk of selling to a non-paying bidder or potential scammer :awake:
One thing to keep in mind - if you have a really common pony , but the condition is immaculate (added bonus if you have the original accessories but if not just make the pony look nice by adding a ribbon or two - make sure to put in the description if the ribbon is original/genuine mlp or not) , you can still make a decent profit on them on ebay  :D . I found that out with a Cotton Candy , Windy and Apple jack. There are usually collectors out there who are looking for a mint upgrade, and there are also new collectors who are starting out and looking for ponies already in good condition.
Otherwise the best way to sell off very common ponies is definitely to put them in groups but with more valuable HTF ponies so that you make decent money at the same time. Hope that helps a bit :relaxed: 

Ditto this! Common ponies in good condition can still command decent prices. Ebays fees are crazy so I prefer to sell through here when possible :)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 09:38:47 AM »
eBay's fees are such a pain, BUT I will say this . . . When you're selling a LOT of ponies, eBay makes it easy to see what you've shipped, what you need to ship, if the person has paid yet, what their address is, and all that organizational stuff.  And that is worth something. 

Even NPB are just an annoyance . . . I had on one a L.O.L. Surprise doll and that was no fun, but it is pretty low-energy to file a NPB report and get your fees back.

That said . . . 10% is a significant amount in fees.  Plus the 2.9% (? I think) that Paypal charges on top of that.  But it's just something to consider if you're thinking about selling ponies en masse.

Also, do be aware that eBay just changed their Buy It Now listings so that they are all now "Good Till Canceled."  What this means is that BIN listings no longer expire after 30 days.  Instead, eBay automatically relists them after 30 days.  And they will charge you a $0.30 fee per listing if you don't have any free listings left.  (You get 50 free listings a month, unless you have an eBay store.  So you should be okay if you stay at just 50 BINs or lower.)

Oh, also!  If you are using eBay, use their "Print Shipping Label" option.  And if you aren't using eBay, sign up for Stamps.com and print shipping from there.  Your postage will be cheaper if you pre-print it, compared to waiting in line at the PO.  Buy a mail scale if you don't have one already.  It is worth it.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 04:59:33 AM »
  Buy a mail scale if you don't have one already.  It is worth it.

Definitely this!!!  ( thanks LadyMoondancer :)  )  I knew I'd forgot something important  ( :facepalm:  :blush: ) .
 If you have your own mail scale - even a cheap digital kitchen scale will do (that's what I use and it's really accurate)   - then you can work out the postage costs yourself before listing by checking the weight etc of the parcel online first.  Then you won't have to make trips to the PO to check the weight /cost before listing and you won't have any nasty surprise higher shipping costs after a sale either  ;)  :relaxed:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal