collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thrift Store Pickers Ethics  (Read 2884 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Thrift Store Pickers Ethics
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 04:36:15 AM »

camping out is fine. flipping is fine. buying things at low prices is fine. and they aren't taking advantage of the store by buying there.

And the thing is, is if that's their livelihood, and they need to fight like that... they are really in a low place.

I agree with all the above quoted remarks.

I have had that at a carboot sale as well - sometimes you get pushy shovy people but other times it can work well. We got rid of a fish tank. I mean, that's not easy to get rid of at a carboot sale, and it was a big one, but we did.

But yeah. I have seen more of the grabby behaviour at carboot sales than in stores. It's good to know it's not a normal practice.

Here if something isn't priced usually the person on the till makes up a price on the spot or negotiates it with the buyer. I have bought a bunch of G4 stuff lately that had no price, and they've been like, 50p? £1? It's all very casual.

Although I do wish that in this one particular (the best) charity shop, the heater wasn't blasting air at customers waiting to pay. That may be a deterrent method though from preventing long and protracted price negotiations xD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 04:51:29 AM »
Here if something isn't priced usually the person on the till makes up a price on the spot or negotiates it with the buyer. I have bought a bunch of G4 stuff lately that had no price, and they've been like, 50p? £1? It's all very casual.

Yeah. This too is store dependent.

My husband and I used to buy for ourselves and then flip to keep up the hobby.

He had a camera lens that was marked $5 and he took it up to the cash register. And the lady threw a fit at him, saying he changed the price, and all sorts of nasty things. It was worth $20, tops. She went to the back room to "research it" and we waited because he actually did want it. She came back and marked it $40. So we walked away.

I have yet to figure out if she really did think we switched a price, or if there was another issue (which is completely OT).

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 09:55:52 AM »
I once went to a store that sold vintage toys in a glass case. But we noticed there were no prices!!  When we asked how much they were they said  "We give you the price at the register - after we check the selling price on ebay" ...
WOW at least they're honest! X)   we did not buy from them.  and I actually considered reporting them to the BBB.

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2019, 07:44:42 PM »
My only real issue with my favorite local big chain thrift is they use to
have hand carry baskets plus shopping carts. Now it’s just shopping carts which makes navigating tricky. Now I skip them and bring my own tote.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal