collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Houseplants?  (Read 12339 times)

Offline nebulavery

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Houseplants?
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2019, 04:29:58 PM »
I'm actively trying to turn my space into a jungle. While most of my collection are succulents or cacti, one of my favorites is the spider plant and her separate pup, who were both gifted to me. I've been having issues with light levels in my dorm, so I may eventually invest in a grow light for the sunlight-hungry Echeverias. We'll see!

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2019, 06:13:14 PM »
I love my plants, but they're pretty basic sturdy vines and spider plants. I love my apartment thought because there is ivy growing all around the windows on the outside of the building <3
ISO princess ribbons, vintage pony pins, and UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2019, 12:45:47 AM »
I should probably talk about my own plants!

Orchids
I have 5 orchids; 2 small and 3 big ones. Only one big one still has the flowers, mostly because I started watering it properly immediately and with fertilisers. It's a double-spike, so it's gotta need a lot of nutrients!
I was a sucker and did the 'water with ice' thing on the advice of a customer; however, the leaves became leathery and wilting on two of them, and all the flowers came off and I trimmed the spikes back. On the advice of an orchid nursery, I started watering with lukewarm water and 'flooding' them, watering and letting it all drain back out once a week. The leaves bounced back, and did better when moved to my living room. I do that with all of them now, and add some orchid fertiliser as well. The orchids with no flowers are producing new leaves!

Bromelaids
Ah yes, the plants that started it all! I bought two bromeliads for discount (£1.25 each) and noticed long afterwards that they were producing offshoots. Reading up, I learned that this was called 'pupping', and said pups would need to be repotted. The blooms on both mother plants died and I removed them (it's part of the brom life cycle; they won't bloom again and are in the stage of making pups). So far, I have 4 potted pops, and the mother plants are going to give me another 4-5 I think! I need to get some houseplant soil in order to repot, so pretty exciting!

2 pups are actively growing, but two have remained static green spikes, much to my confusion. They are not dying, but not growing, and haven't produced roots (I checked). But for as long as they are alive, I'll just keep watering and see what happens!

Peace lilies
If you want to get a plant that is pretty much bulletproof and lets you know when it wants water, the peace lily is absolutely the way to go. I bought my original plant to put in the landing, but noticed it wilted easily. I brought it into the house and watered it, and later learned that wilting was a sign it needed water. Since the place I put them was high up, I decided they liked my warmer kitchen better, and now I have 3 of them hogging the kitchen windowsill. They are growing, and still like to droop like drama queens when parched!

Draconae (a.k.a. 'Spiky *******")
Between this and the Fern Thing, I thought these are the two I'd kill, but it's producing new leaves! It's not the nicest plant I have, but hey, it's a friend!

Fern thing
The classic office plant or something you think of when you think tropical, again I thought I'd kill this one, but it's growing new fronds and I love it!

Thing That Says It's An Orchid But I Have My Doubts
This ... thing says it's an orchid. It's like a stalk of bamboo with leaves on either side. The flowers dropped off quick, the stalk looks withered, but it has leaves clinging on? I was told by a colleague she has one and it just died without much ceremony. It's a mystery and I don't like it.

Arthurium
This was on sale for 10p, how could I say no?!?! I trimmed off the dead leaves, trimmed off a big leaf with a brown spot I didn't like the look of, and I'm waiting to see what kind of grower it is.

Ficus
For sale for only 50p, again I couldn't resist. I didn't know if I was supposed to take off the twine netting around the trunk, but seeing all the dead leaves trapped there I decided to trim it off. Took a while to massage all the dead leaves out, and it is chilling in the kitchen happy and free. I'm tempted to put it on the sill outside my house (within a corridor), but we shall see!

Chillies
I'm growing chillies in a bucket from a growing kit (it came with the soil and seeds). They're doing really well so far, not fruiting yet!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 12:54:44 AM by Lady Frostbite »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Online Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2019, 01:55:05 PM »
So happy to see this thread getting new posts everytime I chekc it :lovey: yay more plant lovers!

Lady Frostbite, your collection sounds awesome *3* I believe your thing that claims its an orchid may be a Dendrobium orchid! So indeed an orchid, but not the regular Phalaenopsis that is the most common orchid to get, and generally what people think of when you say 'orchid' ^^ Might help in figuring out what care it wants! :)

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2019, 08:25:57 AM »
Thank you! And you're right! I need to properly learn to keep it, it looks really poorly at the moment  :huh:

Soooo I was bad ... I meant only to get some houseplant soil to repot more pups off the Mama Broms, plus perhaps repot the Peace Lilys ... And they were selling big adult Broms for 20p each!!! COULD I RESIST?!?!?

I also got a little greenhouse! I had planned to get a bigger one, but it's out of stock in my local-ish store, so I got a cheaper, smaller one to do for now and I'm honestly happy now I've built it up. I'm taking a little break before I go to take the Mama Broms through to pot the pups, repot the bigger pups into smaller containers, free the new broms from their wrapping and get everyone into the new greenhouse

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2019, 03:13:32 AM »
We should do some plant swaps on here and post cuttings/extra babies/seedlings to each other :)

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2019, 03:23:51 AM »
Could do! I have 10 babies from my broms now, and since we're UK it would be a lot easier  :lol: I'll check Royal Mail!

Edit: From the Royal Mail website:

Perishables Royal Mail accepts items for delivery in the UK only. Parcelforce Worldwide accepts items for delivery in the UK, and internationally using the globalpriority service only. (including flowers, fresh fruit, vegetables and frozen or chilled foodstuffs. Frozen water and dry ice are prohibited)Packaging guidelines: Use 1st Class or express24 as the minimum service. Should be able to withstand a journey of up to 48 hours in the UK. Must be suitably sealed to prevent leakage or tainting of other items. Packages must be clearly labelled “PERISHABLE”.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 03:26:25 AM by Lady Frostbite »

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2019, 02:45:23 PM »
I’ve bought tons of plants online, from the UK and a few from Europe and if packaged properly they travel really well :) as long as they are kept moist somehow a few days in the dark does them no harm!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 01:31:08 PM by Noasar »

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2019, 12:57:41 PM »
 :cry: my house plants have arrived home from spain. Two have travelled really well just need a few days to recover from the journey. The third though has had a bad time of it 😭 all dried and shrivelled leaves.

I think it is salvageable currently got it in none direct light and just going to leave it alone for a few weeks with a general check in. It needs repotting but i think doing it now would be to stressful for it. Hope it recovers it os such a nice plant

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2019, 01:31:32 PM »
:cry: my house plants have arrived home from spain. Two have travelled really well just need a few days to recover from the journey. The third though has had a bad time of it 😭 all dried and shrivelled leaves.

I think it is salvageable currently got it in none direct light and just going to leave it alone for a few weeks with a general check in. It needs repotting but i think doing it now would be to stressful for it. Hope it recovers it os such a nice plant

Oh no, that’s rubbish! What sort of plant is it?

Offline cyberunicorn

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2019, 02:09:40 PM »
I think it is a Calathea (I could be making that up though). Purple under the leaves with green and light green patterns on the top. It closes up when the sun goes down

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2019, 09:01:47 PM »
I found someone offering 12 McD's furbies for house plants on Facebook marketplace. XD I figured, sure, why not, so I'm casually hoping she'll take two of my 10 succulent plants.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Online Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2019, 12:38:21 AM »
I got a giftcertificat from hubby in christmas present, for a flowershop. This week I went there and bought two Sanseviera trifasciata. I don't know which name you use most in English, if it is Snake Plant or Mother-In-Law-Toungue (in sweden it's the latter). So I finally have two flowers that are small enough to fit behind the curtain in the livingroom window :).

Online Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2019, 12:06:48 PM »
I think it is a Calathea (I could be making that up though). Purple under the leaves with green and light green patterns on the top. It closes up when the sun goes down

sounds like a typical calathea look, and calathea behaviour! I'm sorry it didn't make the trip in great condition D: If it's a calathea, do keep the air humid, or spray its leaves! Should bounce back :)

Plant/cutting swaps sounds like so much fun! totally down for that!

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline cyberunicorn

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2019, 01:04:11 PM »

sounds like a typical calathea look, and calathea behaviour! I'm sorry it didn't make the trip in great condition D: If it's a calathea, do keep the air humid, or spray its leaves! Should bounce back :)

Plant/cutting swaps sounds like so much fun! totally down for that!

Its looking much better now turns our when they stopped off in france ofr a few days they put it outside. When i took a closer look it was riddled in bugs. Managed to get everything off and a week later we seem much happier. And thankfully nothing seems to have passed to my other plants

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal