collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Houseplants?  (Read 12349 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Houseplants?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2019, 12:21:20 PM »
I love house plants and office plants-   but I have a black thumb.

At the office I have to leave someone else to be 100% responsible for my tree or I WILL kill it. I will.

Recently I decided I would try again with a house plant and bought the most adorable "fairy" plant-Mini Pixie Syngonium (Syngonium podophyllum “Mini Pixie”)

I bought two- visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I put them in an adorable mini pot that my sister had made for me- then I accidentally forgot it for a week and discovered it dried and shriveled (I swear not even 7 days later !!)   :cry:  >_<

After that I put it above the kitchen sink so at least I would see it every day when I do the dishes- and it did come back after a few days-   :lookround:

After that (after being warned very sternly by my wife not to overwater) I have watered it every 3 days and it has sloooooly been looking slightly better-  but then we get a rash of sunny weather and it will suddenly dry out and wilt!!!!!!!!!  Like it just goes all flat! :shocked:

I don't know how people do it.  Plants are TOO HARD.  I need some kind of fool proof system ...

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2019, 02:46:24 PM »
I used to have a cactus/succulent bowl in college and "lucky" bamboo.  Those have since died.  My ex killed the cacti and the bamboo kind of rotted in the aquarium.  I used to have a cactus that I had had since 3rd grade and my mom was supposed to take care of it when I graduated and moved away to college.  It was dead by Christmas.  I was so upset.  Now I have a poinsettia that my aunt gave me for the birth of my daughter just after Thanksgiving.  It has had a few close calls because I sometimes forget to water it but it is still alive.  I got a vining plant from my grandmother a few years ago because she had "too many" plants (total green thumb, anything grows for her) and she forced it upon me.  It almost died too because we lived in a tiny house with little sunlight.  It is now in a window I used to sit by at work and is quite a bit happier.  Our CNA cares for it.  I tried keeping an orange tree before we got married but we did not get enough sun in the winter and it died tragically.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2019, 03:06:32 PM »
I have lots. I have them on my bedroom window ledge and they kind of move to either the landing window sill or the conservatory as they get too big to fit!
I'm so bad at their names though and some even have their labels!
I also inherited my Mum's cactus plants and some succulents. I might have killed her Geraniums though and it's got nothing to do with them making me sneeze :p There's still one left.

I've spent the last few days repotting them all! I think I've left it a bit long in some cases. One set of yukka plants were in a terracotta pot and so root bound I thought I'd never get them out. Had to have a hand to push them out from the bottom with a pole. I realised they must have been in that pot for at least 5 years! They got overlooked.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2019, 10:22:32 PM »

I put them in an adorable mini pot that my sister had made for me- then I accidentally forgot it for a week and discovered it dried and shriveled (I swear not even 7 days later !!)   :cry:  >_<

After that I put it above the kitchen sink so at least I would see it every day when I do the dishes- and it did come back after a few days-   :lookround:

After that (after being warned very sternly by my wife not to overwater) I have watered it every 3 days and it has sloooooly been looking slightly better-  but then we get a rash of sunny weather and it will suddenly dry out and wilt!!!!!!!!!  Like it just goes all flat! :shocked:

I don't know how people do it.  Plants are TOO HARD.  I need some kind of fool proof system ...

My system is to have a set day in the week to water the plants. Most plants can live with drying out a bit, few survive over watering as it often makes the root rot. So if you have a set day or two were you water it will be fine. My mom and grandma cares for their plants in other ways and always goes around a set time each day to check their plants (mom has more than 20 in her bedroom! Her entire apartment is filled with them, it's like a greenhouse.. or a djungle :blink:). I can't bother with that. I water all my plants saturday evening around 7 pm. Two other plants require more and those are watered wednesdays in the winter winter. During summer, those two gets watered tuesdays and thursdays. 

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2019, 11:11:04 PM »
You can also get things to put in the pot that change colour, or make a sound, or whatever to let you know when a plant needs to be watered.

In my room it depends on a number of factors - whether they're in the window, whether it's hot, and the type of plant. Since my room is south facing when I'm back home, the sill is often used as an unofficial nursery/greenhouse, which means that in the spring often small plants live there that will eventually go outside. Some plants rot from the root up and you don't know about it until the top part of the plant collapses, at which point it is too late...so they do need to be kept an eye on.

I find that if they don't have a lot of soil and they have a lot of root it isn't great - they may need more water (but pot bound isn't a good situation so repotting is always necessary). My Dad swears by only watering when the sun has gone down, so as it doesn't draw the roots to the surface/dry out too quickly.

With my poinsettia though, it's a much more simple system. Finger in pot to test for dampness of soil. I usually water it every 3 days and it's fine. Some plants don't survive no matter how hard you try, because it's hard to ask a plant what is wrong xd. But most plants do whatever they can to live, rather than die. Outside plants have to fend for themselves a lot, but inside ones rely entirely on the human to ensure they get enough but not too much water...so building up a routine is good (so long as you pay attention to the weather changes etc).

My spider plants can be watered once a week or less and they do fine. I put them outside once the frosts are passed, too, because they seem to like it. But my cyclamen is a delicate little brat who requires much more attention. If you're really not able to monitor regularly, I advise getting something low maintenance like a succulent or spider plant. So long as you don't overwater succulents, these guys are pretty tough.

But yeah, 7 days kind of shocked me. I mean, imagine nobody gave you a drink for 7 days o.O.

One other thing with watering is that you can put a tray under the plant and water into the tray. Then whatever isn't absorbed into the pot you can tip away. You have to do something like this with orchids, but it doesn't hurt to do it with others as well - leaving pots standing in water isn't generally good.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2019, 11:06:25 AM »
Just got back from spain and ended up buying 5 more plants.  I am going to leave two of them there to summer outside so will bring them home in November (possibly) but the other three will be here in june when my parents drive up to visit cannot wait to have them home.

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2019, 01:48:54 AM »
I have a pothos in my bathroom and on my balcony I am amassing succulents. Over half of my succulents rescued from the garbage. I also have a garlic plant and a cactus.

Online Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2019, 02:08:31 PM »
I forgot about this thread. I need to make an updated plant tour, as now that we're a bit more settled in here in our new flat, our plant collection has grewn a... *ahem* tad.
Managed to get my hands on a huge Monstera Standleyana (albo variegata), and I've got completely nuts for Hoyas over the past couple months and added a full plant and a couple cuttings. :lovey:
 Oh, and I did sow some coleus. I bought a random seed mix some time last year, so you can pretty much get any sort. I've got 4 little pots now after repotting, 2 of which have two of what I think, and hope, is the same colour, and two others XD they're coming along nicely. 

As for how I do it in terms of keeping them alive - all the research! What plants like what soil, how to mix your soil, and where to put them (like, do they like full sun, or shade?), how much humidity they prefer...
But if you want two things that have helped me:
1) Perlite.
    Seriously, it does wonders for a lot of plants when it comes to soil. Regular potting soil is often a bit too compact. Add in some perlite, it'll help.
2) Moisture probe.
    finger testing the soil is good and all that, I went with that for years. But it's nice to know for sure! plus, you have a gadget, and gadgets are fun to use, so (if you're like me) you're probably gonna end up using it. I mainly got mine because I'm afraid to get into owning alocasia, but I find myself sticking it in every single pot several times a week xD
(maybe I just spend a little too much time with my plants.)

(and bonus: watch plant youtubers. It's super inspiring! Especially videos about [insert plant] care. Betsy Begonia is one of my favs :) )

Also, just keep trying. I've killed a fair few plants in my days (alocasia amazonica, I'm looking at you. Also looking at rubber tree. Why don't I fully understand you?!), and I think there's a bit of a learning curve to taking care of plants. But once you start getting the hang of it, if plants are something you enjoy, it's so so rewarding and fun!

I have tons of plants too!

Shaiyeh monstera veriegata is hiiiigh on my want list but they are so expensive!!

I got really stinkin' lucky. hubby's god mother works at a nursery, so she gifted me one :blush: A Thai Constellation is however high on my want list. I'm crazy for monsteras, so I wouldn't mind having a few different varieties of M. Deliciosa in different variegated forms :heart:

Been watching a bit of plant-tube lately (like Kaylee Ellen, who's done a few videos on monsteras!) and it seems like monsteras are a little bit easier to get a hold of in Sweden and from Swedish shops... gonna drop a link to PlantThatPlant (not affiliated, just a fan), they ship EU & US :)

That was a lot, sorry. if anyone wanna chat plants, feel free to pm xD I shan't spam the thread too much XD

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2019, 02:46:27 PM »
*raises hands* massive plant mom here :blush: :inlove:

I love plants, and always had several - right now I think I'm somewhere between 40 and 50 pots (I should really count...). Most of them aren't that big (the majority are succulents, 9 are cacti), but they are constantly getting bigger, so I shouldn't rescue anymore. Because yes, I am also the rescuer type, and will pick up broken off plant pieces (most succulents can be regrown from parts) at the shop. My latest acquisition is a pair of Agave sucklings I rescued from under a poor dead Agave mommy whom I found in the trash (not literally in the cans, butput next to them :P ). There was a Monstera suckling too in a similar way, but she didn't make it sadly :( The Agaves rooted fine and started to grow, though they seem to have some little evils on them, so I fear for the others right now (with my plant-getting habits I wonder how I managed to avoid pests so far). I need to look into how I can permanently get rid of the stuff before it spreads to other members of the family.

Only a minority of my plant family were bought, the majority are either rescues or were given to me, and there are some that used to be plants of my family - usually the latter are the ones that are non-succulents, and were e.g. gifted to my mother. Meaning they are at least 9 years old (she passed away 9 years ago...). A number of them are well over 10 years old, but I sadly cannot trace back the exact age of the older ones (and there are complicatons too, like the Yuccas that are sucklings of a plant that my mother got as a work-leaving gift in the early 1990s. I have no clue when that plant got too big that my mother decided to cut it back. It eventually became 3 plants, and I have no clue which used to be the original one's top part).

Most of them are living in, or right next to the windows (which is also the reason why I shouldn't have more, there is simply no more space). There is one certain spot where I would still love to have a pot (it is just so empty, and I would like to see some life there, but while it is closer to the window, it is sadly not bright enough for succulents), but after that I should be done. My mother in law has lots of Epipremnum, and judging by the light conditions at the in-laws' house I think those would do fine there, so my plan is to get some cuttings from her. We already discussed this, but decided to wait until the weather gets warmer (it should be fine already, but we first discussed this in the winter, and I didn't want to travel 3 hours with plants while the it was cold).

I should really take some pictures... I loved your pictures and video, Beldarna and Shaiyeh!

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2019, 10:33:25 PM »
    Well, you all got to me. My school was having a plant sale for the horticultural club. And I am now a proud plant mother to a geranium and a succulent, houses in a teacup and saucer. They’re both cute and I love them dearly...I’ll post pictures later, when I can take some. The geranium is quite big, the teacup succulent is quite adorable, and I had fun carrying them around school for an afternoon. These plants are going to be super smart plants!
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2019, 04:41:51 AM »
    Well, you all got to me. My school was having a plant sale for the horticultural club. And I am now a proud plant mother to a geranium and a succulent, houses in a teacup and saucer. They’re both cute and I love them dearly...I’ll post pictures later, when I can take some. The geranium is quite big, the teacup succulent is quite adorable, and I had fun carrying them around school for an afternoon. These plants are going to be super smart plants!

Yay, welcome to the plant club! Post some pics!

If I remember this week at work/home I’ll take a video of my plants too :D

Online Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2019, 10:07:39 AM »
Loona - for pests, look into neem oil!
How nice to rescue plants tho :lovey:

Mewtwofan - woooh! congrats on your new plants :D

I really need a new video, haha, I have new babies. Again. And going to a cutting swap/sale with my sister in law tomorrow. Eeeeee!
I got a Begonia maculata 'wightii' today, so stoked, been eyeing them forever, but haven't found The One until today. And as per usual, when visiting my parents, I come home with cuttings x'D A few geraniums, and a hoya cummingiana. Then we'll see about the swap - I hope to score some more hoya :)

Noasar - yesss make a vid! would love to see!

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2019, 02:40:15 PM »
I have a grow room in my house used for growing lettuce all year long and lots of different micogreens. 

Besides that I have a mystery rescued house plant, an american bonsai and some other plant that won't flower anymore but as long as it keep growing leaves it gets to stay.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2019, 08:12:50 PM »
I did not have any real plants till this year! I have 9 right now. Two of them are pothos plants, one snake plant, one aleo plant, one peace lily and the other ones I cant remember there names! I love them all! They are all doing very well but the one in the bathroom. Its a palm kind of plant and I had one before that did not do well. :(  Will not be buying that one again. 

Offline Littlesparklepony

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2019, 11:18:09 AM »
I have orchids and geraniums and some plants on my balcony.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal