collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Houseplants?  (Read 12345 times)

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
Re: Houseplants?
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2019, 04:32:41 PM »
My calathea lives in my bathroom and seems to be thriving! Like Shaiyeh said they love humidity.

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2019, 02:05:11 PM »
I just posted on a gardening forum about my bromeliad pups, and I thought I was doing really okay, but now I think I took them off the mother way too soon according to a poster, and my anxiety is through the roof  :cry: No wonder people are scared to talk about houseplants! I read a funny post about someone being criticised on a houseplant forum and being dead inside forever now and was amused, but starting to think it's really true.

It's plants, I shouldn't feel so dang bad, but I do!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2019, 07:43:25 AM »
My calathea lives in my bathroom and seems to be thriving! Like Shaiyeh said they love humidity.

I wish I could have some plants in the bathroom but we have no window. :( And I'm not interested in fake plants at all.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Online Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2019, 04:03:21 AM »
I just posted on a gardening forum about my bromeliad pups, and I thought I was doing really okay, but now I think I took them off the mother way too soon according to a poster, and my anxiety is through the roof  :cry: No wonder people are scared to talk about houseplants! I read a funny post about someone being criticised on a houseplant forum and being dead inside forever now and was amused, but starting to think it's really true.

It's plants, I shouldn't feel so dang bad, but I do!

Oh dear! Don't worry - do the pups look ok still? In that case, they probably are, and there's absolutely no need to worry. With plants, there are usually no hard rights and wrongs IMO, lots of things can be done in different ways.
 I tend to stay away from plant forums for this reason... you can get some good advice, and some people that only want things done THEIR way. The only plant place I really post in is a female/nonbinary only fb group (swedish), but even there sometimes you'll get really odd replies.

Hugs to you! :hug:

update on my jungle:

Been battling thrips AGAIN. there's always one or two... I think they come in with the organic herbs we buy sometimes, especially basil... so now I've bought Neem oil. But I've only been able to stomach spraying half of my plants, the smell makes me sick to my stomach ;_; But it's supposed to work really well... thinking about grabbing a face mask and putting some idk, mint or sth essential oil in it before going for the next neem spray.
I was also given a philo Pink Princess as a gift last weekend *o* so afraid of her dying, but she's soooooo prettyyyyy!

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2019, 12:34:17 PM »
So I was in my local Morrisons store the other day and saw a £3 plant, "Ficus Benjamina, Mixed".  Ooh that looks nice, I'll get that...

I then went to Ikea in search of a brass pot to put it in but instead opted for a soothing blue/green pottery one. Looks great together.

The plant is now sitting on my toilet cistern and has made my little bathroom look somehow more complete.  :heart: :heart:

It's early days yet, let's see how long it survives for - hopefully longer than my venus fly traps  :P  :devious:

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2020, 01:48:56 PM »
Wow, I've forgotten to keep this updated!

Well, I am doing FANTASTIC with orchids, they are just common moth orchids and I make a habit of getting ultra-cheap ones and adding to the collection. My anthurium is just going from strength to strength; that's yet ANOTHER repotting today! This time into an 8 inch pot. I received a Monstera (cheeseplant) cutting from a friend, that has now gotten a pot with some orchid bark mix in it, it was making some lovely roots so hopefully it will settle and flourish.

Repotted a couple of other things, this cold weather is not doing the Common Area Crew any good at all. I changed the soil of my dormant chilli plant as I think the soil I gave it wasn't the best, so this is a mix of John Innes No.2 and peat-free coir compost with mixed perlite from South Devon Chilli Farm.

Which brings me to the MOST exciting project!! I bought two packs of seeds from South Devon Chilli Farm; Chocolate Habanero and Razzamatazz. I don't grow chillis to eat, I grow for the fun of it, and will be giving any fruits away to friends and coworkers. Chocolate Habanero looks super-cute, and can be difficult to germinate, so naturally that's the one I am most buzzed about. Both lots are in half-seed trays with propgator lids on top of the kitchen radiator to warm them (they need warmth for germination). It will be about 7-14 days until I can see if I have success, but man am I impatient! It was sooooo soothing to sow them, just putting little dimples in the soil, delicately putting one single seed in the hole then very gently covering it over. I have half a pack of the soil from SDCF plus some John Innes No.2 left for potting on if I have success. Fingers crossed!!

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2020, 04:34:01 AM »
I mentioned it on another thread but having had my Madagascan Dragon Tree of several years die last autumn, this month for my birthday my parents have presented me with a baby one. So far he's doing fine, hanging out with the plants in the dining room though he really is so tiny in comparison to the old one (which was over 7 ft, this one is about a ft high). I admit to being a mite overprotective...

My fuschia 'Sabrina' (That's her genus name, officially) is also in for the winter as she's not that hardy. She's a white and pink bush fuschia who used to winter in the garage until one year when she really struggled to produce new shoots the next spring, so now she comes inside and hangs by the french doors over winter. Sometimes she flowers during the winter, but she isn't at the moment.

In my room the current residents are my two spider plants, who go nuts all year round with producing pups and who are probably both more than ten years old and take care of themselves mostly except for the occasional watering. I have also more recently acquired a succulent (still can't spell its name, it has spikes) and a baby cactus. I didn't want and don't like cacti that much, but this was a pup that fell off a plant of Dad's and it was orphaned and homeless so now it lives with me. It seems to be doing fine, I think it's been with me about six months and I water it about every 3 to 4 weeks.

My windowsill is also currently a refuge for plants that survived from the hanging basket and tubs last year and which are growing still with the hope of using them next year in tubs. I really strongly believe in giving plants a chance to grow if they show life. I feel like it's better to try, even if they don't make it, than destroy a perfectly viable plant. So rightnow my windowsill is home to a large begonia (flowering at present, bless it), a Nemesia (who is now about 3x as big as it was in the basket last year), a verbena and a bacopa. Of all of them the verbena has been the most trouble. I've had to rescue it from three slugs, a caterpillar, aphids...and I also had to repot it after going through the roots and the soil to remove baby slugs and slug eggs that had clearly got into the soil from when it was in the basket, and had killed off 2/3 of its growth stems by gnawing the roots. One of its main branches is also weak at the base so is splinted to hold it steady while it puts out more growth on other branches. So far so good.

On my bedside cabinet is my poinsettia, which I've had 3 years. It thinks it's a trailing plant as it's trying very hard to grow over the edge of my cabinet. So I've now had to fashion a support for its branch from an old plastic fork to prevent it from tumbling forwards out of its pot with the weight of its own growth. It's like a little forest on my cabinet and blind bag ponies live underneath it...

In terms of doing things the right way, or the wrong way, I think  that there are a lot of official ways of doing xyz that are not necessarily the right way depending on your own situation. Or at least I will look up guidance but in general I go with my gut. I was rescuing discarded seedlings from Dad when I was 2 or 3 and planting them and they grew into better plants than some of his, so I guess I'm doing something right (he no longer discards any seedlings because of this!)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal