collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fishing for skincare/primer suggestions.  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
Fishing for skincare/primer suggestions.
« on: February 07, 2020, 06:42:51 AM »
So far I have tried three different regular foundations that just don't work as advertised even though they say they are for oily skin. Before I waste more money I want to try something else under it to keep the skin oils from causing problems with *everything*, including causing my eyeshadows to transfer and crease unflatteringly and foundation settling into the smallest imperfections that make them stand out at attention.

Instead of looking toward reviews on Google, do you have any recommendations? What are your experiences? What should I steer away from?

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing for skincare/primer suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 06:57:43 AM »
Which ones have you tried so far? That can help decide what might be better options

Do you use a setting powder?

How thick of coverage do you want?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Sweet Daes

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 07:05:28 AM »
Which ones have you tried so far? That can help decide what might be better options

Do you use a setting powder?

How thick of coverage do you want?

I have used:
CoverGirl Clean Matte
CoverGirl Matte Made
L'Oreal Pro Glow (which was too glowy- on the opposite end of the scale that I want)
Tarte Face Tape (which I used with other stuff to work with oily skin on top and it did NOT work out)

I am going to wait on the setting powder- two different ones both made my face look like pale crusty mud by the end of a 6-hour work day.

In my experience, I would prefer to work with cremes instead of powders for complexion so I don't sweat them off as easily.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 09:55:32 AM »
Have you tried Bare Minerals? They have powder and liquid foundation.  I never feel like my face is melting when I wear Bare Minerals I've only used their powders and eyeshadows though never the liquid foundation.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 09:57:34 AM »
For drugstore brands you might want to try L'Oreal Infallible Pro Matte Foundation or Maybelline Fit Me Matte Poreless Foundation. Higher cost perhaps Too Faced peach foundation

The makeup sub reddits are always a good place to find tips https://www.reddit.com/r/MakeupAddiction/comments/82g5pk/holy_grail_products_for_oily_skin/

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 10:15:30 AM »
I forgot to mention that Bare Minerals comes in an original and matte formula.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 10:49:54 AM »
First things first: I have about zero experience with foundations or primers.

BUT.

My skin is so oily that if I don't have anything on it, if I wash my face in the morning, by early afternoon the oil it produces is so much that it gets into my mouth and eyes, causing the latter to sting and hurt. So I do have experience with products that mattify massively, because I defintely need that.

My skin is prone to acne and blackheads, which is the initial reason I started to use products that caused sensitivity to the sun - meaning I had to start using SPF on a daily basis. As I was to wear it every single day, I had to look for a product that actually does the job. I've been using the below listed products for years, and all of them do a great job at keeping my face matte throughout the day. 3 out of these are tinted physical sunscreens, which might not be enough for you to ditch foundation (they are enough for me, which is why I don't use foundation, just these and spot concealers), but (as I heard from others) you can definitely use foundation on top in case you require better coverage.

- Paula's Choice Resist Super Light Wrinkle Defense - this has been THE SPF/day cream for me for YEARS. I only switched recently because I found a cheaper alternative which works just as well, and is rather on the yellowish tint-side (which suits my skin tone better. This one is more on the pinkish side)
- Australian Gold Botanical Sunscreen Face SPF50 (this is the alternative I've been using for about a year now. It works almost exactly like the PC Resist, it just doesn't hurt my wallet as much)
- Coola Mineral Face Organic Matte Untinted Sunscreen Lotion - another love I've been using for years. The thing is, the above two are both too dark for me on their own, so I need to mix them with another product which is untinted. I've tried it on its own too, and it works well (not as mattifying as the PC Resist, but still gets me through the day fine), it just requires a bit more working in and letting dry - and I like the bit of coverage the tinted ones add.
- Coola Mineral Face Organic Matte Tinted Sunscreen Lotion - basically the untinted couple of the one above. This one has a lighter tint which is a nice match to my skin, and once dry it mattifies just as fine&throughout the day, but I didn't rebuy it because it takes a little too long for me to dry (15-20 mins)

Both Coolas have changed in looks recently, I honestly hope the content stayed the same. As I'm from overseas, I don't know where/whether you could actually buy these in stores, but since all of them are US-produced, hopefully it will be easier for you to get them than it is for me :)

Fell free to PM me in case you'd like to know further details about any of these, or about my skincare routine for my oily skin :)

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Sweet Daes

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 10:57:05 AM »
Thank you, but I was hoping not to buy more foundation first before I am able to control my skin. I'm an oily girl and it eventually messes with Mac and Morphe bronzers/highlighters which are kind of more okay without anything else on, but you can see every issue that my skin has. This experiment has gotten way too expensive for me to keep buying makeup haha

Post Merge: February 07, 2020, 10:59:31 AM

First things first: I have about zero experience with foundations or primers.

BUT.

My skin is so oily that if I don't have anything on it, if I wash my face in the morning, by early afternoon the oil it produces is so much that it gets into my mouth and eyes, causing the latter to sting and hurt. So I do have experience with products that mattify massively, because I defintely need that.

My skin is prone to acne and blackheads, which is the initial reason I started to use products that caused sensitivity to the sun - meaning I had to start using SPF on a daily basis. As I was to wear it every single day, I had to look for a product that actually does the job. I've been using the below listed products for years, and all of them do a great job at keeping my face matte throughout the day. 3 out of these are tinted physical sunscreens, which might not be enough for you to ditch foundation (they are enough for me, which is why I don't use foundation, just these and spot concealers), but (as I heard from others) you can definitely use foundation on top in case you require better coverage.

- Paula's Choice Resist Super Light Wrinkle Defense - this has been THE SPF/day cream for me for YEARS. I only switched recently because I found a cheaper alternative which works just as well, and is rather on the yellowish tint-side (which suits my skin tone better. This one is more on the pinkish side)
- Australian Gold Botanical Sunscreen Face SPF50 (this is the alternative I've been using for about a year now. It works almost exactly like the PC Resist, it just doesn't hurt my wallet as much)
- Coola Mineral Face Organic Matte Untinted Sunscreen Lotion - another love I've been using for years. The thing is, the above two are both too dark for me on their own, so I need to mix them with another product which is untinted. I've tried it on its own too, and it works well (not as mattifying as the PC Resist, but still gets me through the day fine), it just requires a bit more working in and letting dry - and I like the bit of coverage the tinted ones add.
- Coola Mineral Face Organic Matte Tinted Sunscreen Lotion - basically the untinted couple of the one above. This one has a lighter tint which is a nice match to my skin, and once dry it mattifies just as fine&throughout the day, but I didn't rebuy it because it takes a little too long for me to dry (15-20 mins)

Both Coolas have changed in looks recently, I honestly hope the content stayed the same. As I'm from overseas, I don't know where/whether you could actually buy these in stores, but since all of them are US-produced, hopefully it will be easier for you to get them than it is for me :)

Fell free to PM me in case you'd like to know further details about any of these, or about my skincare routine for my oily skin :)

Oooohh. Thank you for your input!

Is your skin sensitive? I want to avoid scented products.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 11:00:59 AM by Sweet Daes »

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 01:52:49 AM »
Oooohh. Thank you for your input!

Is your skin sensitive? I want to avoid scented products.
You're welcome! :) My skin is not sensitive in the way people usually use skin sensitivity as a term, but since acne and the similar stuff is also a type of sensitivity, I completely avoid products that are scented or contain alcohol. Neither of the above contain fragrance (artificial or natural), nor do they contain alcohol. That's an important thing, I should have mentioned it before :)

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal