collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G4 Hair Quality Comparison  (Read 4228 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Re: G4 Hair Quality Comparison
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 02:28:35 PM »
The biggest problem is that it's hit and miss.

^
Pretty much this. I have a very large collection of G4/4.5, and the hair quality is all over the place.

The worst hair I’ve seen has been on my pearly Sea Pony Rainbow Dash (3”), whose hair was VERY unevenly rooted, falling out in places, and dry as a bone... straight out of the package. On the other hand, I have ponies from all years of production with very nice hair. There’s been soft hair, greasy hair, dry hair, stiff hair, and everything in between...

I don’t think I’ve ever seen poor hair quality in the very early releases (maybe the first two years of G4?), but after that it really is hit or miss. G4.5 seems to lean toward “miss” more often than G4, though.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 02:33:18 PM »
So I recently got a G4.5 Princess Celestia and her hair is pretty nice, which was a complete shock because I've become pretty disenchanted with G4.5s due to the hair quality.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

She came out of the box pretty oily like the pearlies did, but I used a different technique this time to rid it of that awful coating. I washed it with shampoo, conditioned it and let it sit for a few minutes, rinsed the conditioner out, and then dipped and swished it in a diluted fabric softener solution and let it set overnight before brushing it out. The result was nice soft hair. It looks kinda frizzy in the photo because she has so much hair, but it's really not. I'm honestly surprised by the hair quality on this gal!

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 10:37:33 PM »
twirly treats is the baby, right? with a white and blue mane? she ALWAYS has horrible hair when i see her, i have no idea what it is with that set.

I must have gotten lucky with my set. I was just photographing mine for my sales and she has a nice silky mane with a nice curl. I haven't bought any ponies since like 2013, so I didn't know the new ones were so bad. I was tempted to get a new style Fluttershy for my army, but if the quality is that bad, I'll probably just pass.

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 11:01:09 PM »
twirly treats is the baby, right? with a white and blue mane? she ALWAYS has horrible hair when i see her, i have no idea what it is with that set.

I must have gotten lucky with my set. I was just photographing mine for my sales and she has a nice silky mane with a nice curl. I haven't bought any ponies since like 2013, so I didn't know the new ones were so bad. I was tempted to get a new style Fluttershy for my army, but if the quality is that bad, I'll probably just pass.

People have said ponies in the larger $60 sets have had nicer hair. I can't really confirm because I don't have many, but my Spitfire and Coco Pommel feel decent. Maybe you could get the Fluttershy from one of these Toys R Us sets? Personally I'd recommend the Magic of Everypony fashion style, I have this set and they're sooo nice!

Offline Strawberrysweets

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Like a strawberry, I'm sweet but I can be sour too
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2019, 12:41:36 AM »
I have mixed quality in my G4 Applejacks and I am tempted to rehair some of them.
You can see some of them in this picture:
Spoiler
Icon by Minty_Magic

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2019, 11:16:45 AM »
I always think about this one Rarity I used to have who had the most horrible tail I've ever seen.  It was off-colored, a bit greasy feeling, and about the last third of it was one horrible mat that would never get de-frizzed.  I don't have that one anymore because it was just too depressing for me, haha.

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2019, 04:38:23 AM »
I’ve had some small success getting the bad hair to behave with multiple conditioning and boiling attempts (every few months I take a few of these girls and repeat that process). Setting them in straw curls seems to help a bit, as well. They’re still not as nice as the original G4s, but at least they’re less “bride of Frankenstein”

Elf

Offline Ragamuffin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2019, 12:17:26 PM »
I bought the new set with Minty and despite the title of being "the big holiday Thing" this year, the hair is still trash. Luna and Cadence take the title of worst hair I've ever felt. With the other ponies, there's some okay-ness in there (even if its 1/4 of it) but there are no "decent" spots here. Everything top to bottom is as dry as can be. It's awful. I haven't felt Celestia's hair yet but I suspect it will be the same.

I'm going to take better pictures later, including comparing my two Mintys.

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2019, 12:32:10 PM »
omg Cadence no....ugh that's a cryin' shame :-/ I was hoping this set might be spared the curse of the bad hair.

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2019, 12:32:45 PM »
UGHH that's so dissapointing. I've found their bigger sets tend to have OK hair. Maybe I'll just wait for Minty on eBay and the rest for when I find them thrifting.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2019, 02:15:05 PM »
The worst hair is on the Build A Bear ponies. If one of them has been played with, then her hair will be a tangled mess.  And their hair is almost impossible to untangle.  It took me two hours and half a bottle of conditioner to get Starlight Glimmer looking decent, and she doesn't even have that much hair.  But it just keeps retangling as you try to comb it out.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2019, 02:24:54 PM »
The worst hair is on the Build A Bear ponies. If one of them has been played with, then her hair will be a tangled mess.  And their hair is almost impossible to untangle.  It took me two hours and half a bottle of conditioner to get Starlight Glimmer looking decent, and she doesn't even have that much hair.  But it just keeps retangling as you try to comb it out.
Perspective, you're right. Could you imagine if they used that hair on the ponies themselves. The hair isn't even snuggly...

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Ragamuffin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2019, 02:32:26 PM »
At least the BAB hair lays down. It gets knotty but the worst thing about G4.5 to me is how it sticks straight up in every direction... :rolleyes:

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2019, 06:06:45 PM »
I bought the new set with Minty and despite the title of being "the big holiday Thing" this year, the hair is still trash. Luna and Cadence take the title of worst hair I've ever felt. With the other ponies, there's some okay-ness in there (even if its 1/4 of it) but there are no "decent" spots here. Everything top to bottom is as dry as can be. It's awful. I haven't felt Celestia's hair yet but I suspect it will be the same.

Spoiler

I'm going to take better pictures later, including comparing my two Mintys.

Dang, shame to hear that the hair is bad. In the past it was feeling like larger sets were getting better hair (my ponies from the Movie 12 pack have the nicest hair of all my G4.5s). Shame that this seems as bad as the single ponies' hair. :/

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Ragamuffin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2019, 09:59:05 PM »
Minty comparison, the factory pony from China on the left and the one actually from the set on the right:

They're both using the same greasy hair I think, but factory Minty's hair is still soft. Retail Minty is so dry her hair crunches when you touch it. You can also notice in that pic she also has a nice big gap in her neck.

Another of the hair:

(The one in the Friends of Equestria set again is the one with the rubber band)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal