collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G4 Hair Quality Comparison  (Read 4221 times)

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
G4 Hair Quality Comparison
« on: March 25, 2019, 09:57:42 PM »
I recently bought a G4 Starswirl who I love! She's just gorgeous. She's sitting in the front of my shelves along with my G4.5s, and I got a new G4.5 the other day.

I got the Pinkie Pie that came with hippogriff Princess Skystar. I was already taking pictures of them for a blog update and I decided to take comparison shots of Pinkie vs. Starswirl. In case you've heard about the horror stories about new pony hair but have never seen it... and don't want the displeasure of owning a G4.5... here you go!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Spoiler

Yes, Pinkie's hair is actually brushed in these pictures. They really do come out of the box looking like this. Starswirl, nearly a decade old, still has her minty, neat, factory curls, and a brand-new, straight out of the box Pinkie from a recent set has a factory mess.

I didn't take pictures before brushing, but I assure you it was about the same. However, I did take before and after pictures of the Rainbow Dash I got a couple months ago.

Spoiler
Before brushing:

After:

It's impossible to style. Washing it is a lost cause.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: G4 Hair Quality Comparison
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 10:01:34 PM »
Haha, yeah. I don't know what happened with G4 hair these past few years, but I really hope they make an effort to improve it when G5 starts up. There's some newer ponies here and there with nice hair (such as the ones in that 12 pack Movie set from TRU), but the overwhelming majority lately (even some from before the reboot/4.5 molds) are just.... bad. It's really hard making my more recent G4s look nice on display when their hair goes out all over place. It's like it's trying to spread out and consume the ponies.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Ragamuffin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 10:09:00 PM »
Haha, yeah. I don't know what happened with G4 hair these past few years, but I really hope they make an effort to improve it when G5 starts up. There's some newer ponies here and there with nice hair (such as the ones in that 12 pack Movie set from TRU), but the overwhelming majority lately (even some from before the reboot/4.5 molds) are just.... bad. It's really hard making my more recent G4s look nice on display when their hair goes out all over place. It's like it's trying to spread out and consume the ponies.

I noticed it start to go downhill around the Crystal Empire line. My first G4s with questionable hair quality were Mrs. Cake and Twirly Treats. Worst pony I've seen to date is still Cutie Mark Magic Skywishes who literally had knotted up, matted hair.

Offline bladed

• Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 01:58:15 AM »
twirly treats is the baby, right? with a white and blue mane? she ALWAYS has horrible hair when i see her, i have no idea what it is with that set.

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 03:06:46 AM »
Great comparison! It’s really easy with your pictures just how frizzy the new hair is. I’ve tucked most of my newer g4s behind the old ones on my shelf because they just don’t look that nice with their hair all over the place :huh:

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 05:24:39 AM »
I'm wondering if fabric softener will help more than conditioner will, but I haven't tried it out yet.
I think the baby seaponies had the best hair so far.  ;)

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 06:51:09 AM »
Your Starswirl has pretty colors.

Out of my 18 G4s, only 5 of them has had decent, tameable hair.  That's pretty sad.

FS Sapphire Shores
AA Soarin (Which makes it even more aggravating that his stupid mane is cut.)
Sparklebright Princess Luna
Pearly Merpony Rainbowdash (Its a little coarse, but thick and not hard to manage.)
Pearly Merpony Fluttershy

« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 08:33:23 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline bladed

• Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 07:30:35 AM »
most of my g4s are from 2010-2012, with one or two from 2013, and they all have good, soft hair. it does go a bit out of control easily, but nothing a little brushing wont fix.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 07:39:19 AM »
What I've noticed from thrifting is that a lot of G4s have tails made of a different material than their manes.  Their manes style in the "normal" way with conditioner and washing, but their tails just won't unfrizz.  Not sure when this change occurred, but it seems to have been quite early.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 08:23:09 AM »
What I've noticed from thrifting is that a lot of G4s have tails made of a different material than their manes.  Their manes style in the "normal" way with conditioner and washing, but their tails just won't unfrizz.  Not sure when this change occurred, but it seems to have been quite early.

This, too! A lot of my G4s with perfectly fine manes have really bad, frizzy tails. I have to wonder if at some point, they started using the same quality hair in the manes that they were using in the tails, and that's why the hair is for the most part bad all around now.

Hasbro have proven themselves to still be capable of putting out ponies with nice silky hair, like in that TRU set I mentioned earlier. I think they're probably using this cheaper hair on purpose so the ponies cost less to produce, only putting through the effort of using nice hair in big sets....

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 05:17:34 PM »
Nice comparison, very useful!

I actually returned my Princess Skystar from that same set that I bought because her hair was SO bad in terms of quality. I mean...it was worse than most of the fakie ponies I own. Some of it actually started falling out when I pulled her out of her package. I haven't purchased any of the the other G4.5 brushables because of this. I do want Sandbar though so I'm going to have to make an exception but gosh...Hasbro, what are you doing?

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 06:32:02 PM »
The early G4’s had really soft, silky hair. It would occasionally floof out but it was still a nice texture and easy to style. The different tails and lower hair quality started when the “new head mold” came in, sometime at the end of Crystal Princess Celebration and into the Rainbow Power line in 2013-2014. As Ragamuffin said, Mrs Cake and Twirly Treats were some of the first ponies to be affected by it in the CPC line. It was spotty though, overall they would have somewhat rough quality, then you would get one or two who were really silky, and one or two who were really terrible. I remember Pinkie Pie’s Boutique - the single Pinkies I had with somewhat  rough manes and awful tails, the transparent/glittery Wysteria I had was one with silky hair and an awful tail, the fashion style Pinkie with two tone pink hair had perfectly silky mane with a slightly coarse tail, and the other kind of fashion style Pinkie had silky tail and silky pink and black mane sections, but the white mane stripe was coarse. At the time some users theorised that it was due to excessive heat treatment during production that was damaging the hair fibres.

The ones I noticed as being REALLY bad with extremely coarse, frizzy, unmanageable hair as standard across the whole line were the brushables from Explore Equestria - both the normal ponies with the bow headbands, and the transparent ponies like Meadow Flower and Seaswirl. That’s about when I stopped collecting G4. :cool:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 05:54:00 AM »
I think it depends on hair color too.  I have Scootaloo, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity from the School of Friendship set . . . Pretty bad hair on Scootaloo and Pinkie Pie, great hair on Rarity.  I also have a new mold Twilight Sparkle with great hair, she looks like a super model with silky waves falling around her face.  I'm still careful with her because I don't know what excessive brushing would do to her hair, but at least her initial hairstyle is pretty.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 11:59:11 AM »
The biggest problem is that it's hit and miss. It's almost better to wait and hunt these ponies secondhand if you want them loose as then you get a chance to judge the hair quality before you buy it.

With the pearlies, I had to wash the hair on Pretzel and Cherry Berry as it seemed greasy but it's fine now. Coloratura and Starlight Glimmer had great hair. The wave 3 ones are still on card. I had some from China which my sister gave me with wild hair but I kind of don't count those re hair quality...

I have a Scootaloo which came with Pinkie Pie, she was in the sale. Her hair is horrible and was from the moment I took her out. The Pinkie Pie is with Dad, she sits on his PC and her hair has got gradually worse (I am not sure what he is doing with it, he did make a scary stop motion video with her so maybe it's him, not the hair...).

I think my Twirly Treats is fine. I don't remember any other smaller type ponies with hair issues other than Scootaloo.

FS ponies. Oh dear. So I have very few of these. Spitfire and Daisy Dreams are fine. Both second hand but both fine. But the Fluttershy with really long hair and ribbons and stuff - rainbow rocks...her hair is horrible and falling out :/ And one of the others I got...Photo Finish? Does that sound right? Her tail is not even all there. I mean, from package, she has half a tail on one side. A section of it is literally cut right through like it's meant to be half the length of the rest. I care about the hair so that's annoying - but she was on sale and clearance and it was too much hassle to do anything about it. (She was not on sale for being flawed however).

I have never yet seen a Starswirl with bad hair.

But I have also seen the tail thing on some ponies. I hadn't thought about it till now but it's totally that way.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ragamuffin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 01:37:30 PM »
Got new ponies the other day (School of Friendship Applejack and Starlight Glimmer).

Left: A $5 decade-old pony that’s been played with by young children, hair washed with hand soap, brushed, yet still has factory curl

Right: A brand-new $8 pony that was deboxed yesterday, hair thoroughly washed with shampoo, had conditioner left in over night, and brushed (yes, her hair is still wet in the picture)

Does ANYONE know how to tame this? I like this Applejack quite a bit, seams are hardly visible and they printed her eyes correctly (unlike my Sandbar and Skystar). Boiling? I don't think that would help either to be honest...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal