collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Details in MLP cartoons that you haven't noticed until recently  (Read 2478 times)

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I have spent quite a lot of time over the past year watching my G1 DVDs and I have to admit, there are some details that I only started picking up now:

- When Megan is having a nightmare in "The Return of Tambelon, Part 1", her "bed" is really just a mattress set up next to a random door - which actually makes sense considering she doesn't normally live there.
- Megan's barn in human world in "The End Of Flutter Valley" arc is actually based on the iconic Show Stable playset!
- In the first TV special, when Rainbow of Darkness is about to engulf the first three ponies, you can see that while Bubbles and Cotton Candy just kind of stand there and take it, Moondancer can be very briefly seen cowering in fear and hiding her face, as the only one of the three.
- During the song "For My True Love" from "Flight to Cloud Castle, Part 1", in one brief scene Garth is actually flying a jetpack!
- When camera pans across the scenery at the end of "Bright Lights, Part 4", you can briefly see the Dream Castle in the background, together with the straight-lined canals in front of it, although now it looks a little neglected.
- In "Little Piece of Magic", when Baby Ribbon winks out to retrieve the checkers, the box labeled "TOYS BOX" (sic) that she knock off has a tiny label in the corner saying "KOREA" which was obviously a little easter egg placed there by one of the Korean animators.
- In certain shots of the city of Tambelon from the "The Return of Tambelon" story arc, you can see that one of the buildings close to the front gate actually has what looks like a garderobe, which was pretty much a medieval toilet.

- Also in My Little Pony Tales, during the song "When Fortune Smiled On Me" from the episode "Out of Luck", there's a fountain with a statue of a merpony/hippocampus briefly seen in the background.

Do you have any more examples to add?
Inka Dinka Doo
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Details in MLP cartoons that you haven't noticed until recently
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 03:27:46 PM »
Here's a picture of the  scene from "Rescue at Midnight Castle"

There's 2 unicorn Baby Loftys that run by in My Little Pony the Movie right before they get on the roof to avoid the Smooze.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 08:40:30 AM »
It's not an especially recent revelation, but it's always mystified me how Baby Tiddly Winks goes into Lullabye Nursery but ends up inside PE in the Revolt of PE. As a kid I never really thought about it, but as an adult, it's a bit of a jump...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 08:57:29 AM »
How off-model things get in The Glass Princess! I noticed it a little bit as a kid but it didn't stick out to me as much until I rewatched it as an adult. Same with Megan's voice.

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 11:39:16 AM »
It's not an especially recent revelation, but it's always mystified me how Baby Tiddly Winks goes into Lullabye Nursery but ends up inside PE in the Revolt of PE. As a kid I never really thought about it, but as an adult, it's a bit of a jump...
It's actually Baby Cuddles :) My explanation always was that she couldn't find the buggy in the nursery so she just left and went to the Estate (where the buggy indeed was) somewhere between the scenes.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 11:41:21 AM »
It's actually Baby Cuddles :) My explanation always was that she couldn't find the buggy in the nursery so she just left and went to the Estate (where the buggy indeed was) somewhere between the scenes.

That;s what I meant. Dunno why I said Tiddly Winks.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 12:13:20 PM »
Okay I'm gonna hafta rewatch those episodes to see the jetpack and made in korea ones. That's hilarious!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 12:59:17 PM »
How off-model things get in The Glass Princess! I noticed it a little bit as a kid but it didn't stick out to me as much until I rewatched it as an adult. Same with Megan's voice.
     As someone who works in animation, it irritates me a bit too. I know the budget for the cartoons was relatively limited, but that’s no excuse for errors like in the glass princess.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 01:04:36 PM »
Slightly off since it's not quite a detail, and I've always noticed it; but Wind Whistler's stray lock of hair sticking up, throughout pretty much the whole tv series, annoyed me as a kid and still does to this day  :lol: BRUSH YOUR HAIR FOR ONCE WW!

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 01:18:02 PM »

I have a lot of screenshots from "The Glass Princess" but I'd overwhelm this thread if I posted them all. :lol:  It's one of my favorite episodes but that being said there are a lot of animation errors that stand out including a tiny Magic Star and the ponies change from being tied on the conveyor belt for the Pony Wash to being chained to it a second later. It almost seems like each part of each scene was animated by different people.

The Sheriff Mouse changing from Sheriff to random citizens in Bright Lights gets me too.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 01:20:36 PM »
Slightly off since it's not quite a detail, and I've always noticed it; but Wind Whistler's stray lock of hair sticking up, throughout pretty much the whole tv series, annoyed me as a kid and still does to this day  :lol: BRUSH YOUR HAIR FOR ONCE WW!

WW: "But that is not logical. It would impact adversely on my unique aerodynamics."

:D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 02:23:23 PM »
My explanation always was that she couldn't find the buggy in the nursery so she just left and went to the Estate (where the buggy indeed was) somewhere between the scenes.

A similar thing happens in part 1 too, Cuddles goes to sleep in the Buggy inside the nursery, but wakes up in it in Paradise Estate when Paradise comes to get her. Another possible explanation would be if the nursery and PE were connected through the basement (however that was arranged). I don't think there was any indication that they used the magic paint on the nursery either, but I guess the magic spread somehow.

One thing I often wonder about is the location of the Lullabye Nursery after the ponies move into Paradise Estate. It was next to Dream Castle in Catrina & the movie, but it's next to Paradise Estate in some episodes. Did they move the nursery (somehow) or build another one next to PE? The beginning of "The Ghost of Paradise Estate" seems to imply they built a new pink nursery. And we see a pink nursery in some episodes, while in others it's the original colors.

Too bad Hasbro never released a pink version of the nursery in the later years when they were doing recolors of all the classic playsets.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 04:24:54 PM »
One I noticed while rewatching the series a couple of years ago.. from "Through the Door"..

...one of the animators snuck a "Little Pony" book onto Megan's bookshelf. Cute detail :3 there's some misspelt books on there, too.

Sheriff Ricotta's constantly changing design is probably my favourite animation error in MLP and Friends, lol. I can understand a lot of the errors.. ponies switching places, gaining/losing wings/horns/etc.. sure, okay, they're all the same base design, I can see where things could get mixed up. But how the heck did they manage to mess up so badly that he looks different in every single scene?!?! What the heck was going on when they were making that ep?? I feel like there's a story there.

The fantasy sequences in "Little Piece of Magic" have a lot of random backgrounders:

I like the white Twinkle Eyed pony in the corner :frolic:

I really need to rewatch MLP and Friends sometime.. I keep forgetting which ep has the Dream Castle cameo, and I've never noticed the jetpack/Korea things before XD I love little details like that.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 07:16:00 PM »
Another error from Bright Lights is when the baby ponies are stepping out of the cage they were trapped in Heart Throb doesn't have any eyes.

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal