collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Now that G3's are nearing 20 years old...  (Read 10186 times)

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Now that G3's are nearing 20 years old...
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2019, 05:57:58 PM »
G3's came out in 2002 right? So 17 years. I know songs and such are oldies at 18 years, so I'd say 2020 is when they would be considered "vintage". Super weird that my childhood toys are so old.

IIRC 2002 is when they began making them, as this is the year some molds have stamped on them, but they began releasing in 2003.
Oh wait Europe released them earlier, which is also probably why they're stamped that. Still production began then and even 2003. Wow

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2019, 06:00:47 PM »
Oh goodness please don't remind me D: Nope, nope...I refuse to believe it. It feels like only yesterday that I got my first pony.

I guess I'm considered vintage then, since I'm almost 22 years old  :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2019, 03:12:01 PM »
I was pondering this the other day as well since ebay keeps labeling them as vintage as well. General rules are 20+ is vintage so maybe the very first year only? Such a loose term.
~Foxtale~

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2019, 12:55:13 AM »
Nope, not for another 10 years! :silly: 

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2019, 10:19:43 AM »
G3's came out in 2002 right? So 17 years. I know songs and such are oldies at 18 years, so I'd say 2020 is when they would be considered "vintage". Super weird that my childhood toys are so old.

IIRC 2002 is when they began making them, as this is the year some molds have stamped on them, but they began releasing in 2003.
Oh wait Europe released them earlier, which is also probably why they're stamped that. Still production began then and even 2003. Wow

As far as I remember from when these came out, the US had them first and it was 2003. I graduated in July 2003 for my first degree and I needed Rainbow Dash for reasons to graduate with me. I first had someone send one from the US but she went astray. Then my friend found one in her local TRU and so I managed to get one just in time...so that would've been some time in July 2003.

I don't remember continental Europe getting them before the UK or I wouldn't have looked to get one from the US.

So I think no, they came out in the US first, and it was 2003. Some subsequent sets showed up in NZ first, but the original ponies started stateside. Pretty sure the whole first 50 stuff happened over there first as well.

But moulds sometimes have a prior year. A case in point, retro Pinwheel's hooves say 2018, but no pony in that pose came out last year.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2019, 06:38:12 PM »
I think technically, they can be called that. But for me it feels so strange to call G3 ponies vintage because I still feel like I'm quite young! I'm going to be 23 this December, and so I grew up during G3...it just doesn't connect quite yet for me.
I'm sure many OG pony people here may have felt that way about G1 ponies and other toys from the 80's.  Or perhaps they still do. It's just weird to think about it when you're also recalling how young or old you are/were when it was a thing.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline SunbeamV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2019, 12:25:07 AM »
uuugghhh i'm too old  :shocked:

imo, i think g3s can be called "vintage" when the last ones have turned 20. i think in general terms vintage is 50+ but i often see toy collecting communities bump it down to 20-25?

anyway if people are calling 2003 ponies "vintage" i think i have to go lie down *hobbles away with my cane*  :drunk:

Offline StrawberrySparkle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • He/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2019, 04:57:57 PM »
I grew up with g3. I'm only 17 [almost 18] and the thought of g3 being considered almost vintage makes me feel old!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal