collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: eBay changes coming: all BINs "Good Till Canceled"  (Read 5024 times)

Offline Loreofyore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
Re: eBay changes coming: all BINs "Good Till Canceled"
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 03:03:21 PM »
 :huh:
Um afraid US state sales tax automation may depend upon whether or not you've actually enabled eBay to collect local state sales tax itself from your in-state bidders when you've set up your seller account. If you had hurray, they should break it down and give you evidence somewhere you just need a bit of help from ebay to find. If you don't see the tax money leaving it simply may not be paid invisibly from out of your other fees. For example, I say this because I intentionally didn't enable that ebay option when I set up my sellers account, I pay Connecticut directly. Also separately had to pay ebay it's own various fees for strictly it's own benefit.

Why would ebay do that??? Well ebay anticipates that fictionalebayseller01 user who hawks ribbons online may also operate an actual hair salon on the side for a day job and not want to pay taxes again separately for the same time period so at least when I sold on ebay, ebay allowed you not to enable the tax-collection function and to instead worry about city and state taxes yourself as a seller not to mention on your federal too. As I also did some yardsales for instance, easier for me to only pay once the sales taxes directly than pay ebay to pay CT all over again. You see it makes even more sense than 'free shipping' that taxes are inevitable for seller at least when you consider that officially eBay has no power to make rules of state taxation so payments ebay made on behalf  of your business to your state should be traceable as in they owe yourself proof of.

Enforcement is historically lax however. In-state sales taxes plus any local or cross town sales tax used to be as complicated as it could get for virtual business but it gets moreso lately.

Aside from the in-state tax sales tax collection responsibilities the business world had until last year gotten used to... there was a ruling last June by the Supreme Court of the United States against online retail giant Wayfair that has made chaos even for the professionals concerning taxes online from get this OTHER states... just a heads up the tax laws are really changing  so that as of last June even if your presence is all virtual it's suddenly very up in the air about what the impact will be upon for example some online activity with over 200 transactions (I really want to know if that includes intangible downloaded products because that's make or break ) per this or that state?

https://www.digitalcommerce360.com/2018/10/18/the-wayfair-ruling-evolving-sales-tax-laws-and-sleeper-states/

I know groan... I think most small business don't like tax surprises though they can be worse than the taxes themselves... unfortunately it's apparently uncharted waters for now. I wouldn't trust eBay is ever as invested in the welfare of my business as I am so.

I got frustrated with frequent ebay-driven changes on ebay and have chose not to sell on last year, so can't tell people here if the taxes some are complaining are what strange?/new? are due to Wayfair vs SD or due to something else entirely but from what I'm reading not sure anyone is caught up to Wayfair vs SD as individual states have a lot of power to negotiate their own tax and licensing requirements which historically is slow and mutable. It may be like jaywalking for instance and maybe Colorado requires a license https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/NewsRelease_Taxation_OutOfStateRetailers_9.11.18.pdf
  to sell 201 digital downloads of a pattern to people in Denver that they may or may not ever enforce... for new things... its like time will tell y'know to whom such vague-worded instruction will in practice apply. So luck to all us involved in our self employment adventures. :read:
Ok well, Colorado at least thankfully does not require for intangibles, still, wonder may be more trouble than it's worth if you are selling postcards?That's self-employment for you once you  :read:  you still have some more to  :read: . I so do not want to read tutorial programs from all fifty states... so I'm hoping it becomes easier in time.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 03:23:48 PM by Loreofyore »

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 02:05:24 PM »
are there any good alternatives to ebay? i feel like sales on the arena have slowed and i would prefer not to sell on facebook.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 03:16:44 AM »
I don't think there is when it comes to traffic and searchability. Instagram is an option for those who have following.

I was going to try mercari one of these days..
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2019, 08:25:39 AM »
Eh. Except as far as I understand, EVERY package (that was a purchase) is subjected to tax coming into your country. They just don't always charge the custom fee, right? That's not an ebay issue to me. (I'm not stating you are incorrect by being annoyed with the charges).

No. It's not as simple as that. We have 2 types of charge. Tax and customs. And no, we don't pay tax on everything coming in. We pay nothing (at present, wait till the end of March or whenever for an update on that) for items from the EU/Norway/Switzerland, tax or customs. We pay VAT on items valued over £15 (or £18, I've read both accounts) from countries outside the EU. Under that there is no charge. The threshold is higher if a gift, which is why there's so much controversy. I think then it's £35.

The customs charge is a separate thing. Most charges you hear people grumbling about on here are not customs duties as such but VAT and handling charges. You have to have quite a high value item for a real custom charge which I think is 20% or something of the value.

And even then you see a difference in valuing because of the handling aspect. If something that's valued at about £20 comes through Royal Mail you might pay £8-13. If it comes through parcelforce you'll get a £21 charge.

And when it comes through our domestic customs, the people there also can manually judge if it's really worth charging or not. I have had some old stuff come through which should have been charged and which were checked at customs but decided to be not worth charging I guess, as I had no charge on them.

Ebay's GSP bypasses all of those steps. You get a charge, no matter what. It's an inflated one. It does somewhat respect the threshold but at the lowest possible conversion from the sale currency so you hit the threshold probably quicker. So it's an ebay issue bypassing the nuances of the system and how charges actually work at HMRC, in a similar way to your flat charge of tax fees issue.

So in short summary answer to you question  -no. It's not that simple.

BUT that's just the UK. Other countries may have different rules.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2019, 08:35:59 AM »
Eh. Except as far as I understand, EVERY package (that was a purchase) is subjected to tax coming into your country. They just don't always charge the custom fee, right? That's not an ebay issue to me. (I'm not stating you are incorrect by being annoyed with the charges).

No. It's not as simple as that. We have 2 types of charge. Tax and customs. And no, we don't pay tax on everything coming in. We pay nothing (at present, wait till the end of March or whenever for an update on that) for items from the EU/Norway/Switzerland, tax or customs. We pay VAT on items valued over £15 (or £18, I've read both accounts) from countries outside the EU. Under that there is no charge. The threshold is higher if a gift, which is why there's so much controversy. I think then it's £35.

I guess I over simplified it, but what you said was what I had in mind.

I did mean from US > UK (and I knew there was nothing from EU, and obviously that was subject to change).

I did use the word "tax" loosely, because I just see anything that gets a fee charged as a "tax".

And I knew about the certain threshold because that's why some people ask for packages to be marked down.

-_- I really worded my post badly.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2019, 05:14:19 PM »

-_- I really worded my post badly.