collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do YOU Rehair?  (Read 12643 times)

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
Re: How do YOU Rehair?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 06:04:21 PM »
I use a tool and secure the plugs with Fabri-Tac. Started out with a LadyDayDreamer tool. When it broke and she was no longer making them, I made my own from wooden dowels until I found a metal precision hand drill at Sears. I've been using it since.

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2018, 04:05:01 PM »
I use the tool with no glue (homemade tool, and it pushes the hair a fair bit into the head), and I've never had the hair fall out unless you really pull it out of the head (but customs aren't for play, so I feel it's safe. If I rehaired for play, I would use some sort of glue).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2018, 04:36:30 PM »
I used an exacto blade handle with a cut needle. I don't remember what I used for glue..

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2018, 05:03:44 PM »
I use a tool method I used to use just floss and knot all the plugs myself. Though that was very tedious. So I use this method it works better for me. I just use glue to seal all the plugs when I am done.

Offline KottonKandy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2018, 03:54:14 PM »
I use the needle & thread method with knotting the roots. I cannot stand the thought of filling the head with glue and hoping it holds. I do more restoration work than custom though. But like, what if in the future someone else wants to re-re-hair her and they're stuck because of giant wads of adhesive are now coated inside the head? It just sounds horrifying to me. It bothers me to the point where I simply don't buy re-hairs from those that use the glue method.

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2018, 10:51:53 PM »
Knot, thread + needle method.
Yep, it takes longer but it is super-precise and very secure (in that hair is unlikely to fall out if washed / boiled / styled) and easily undone with minimal damage to the pony should you decide to change the hair in the future!
I use this method for all of my G1 projects.

My tool kit:
Small scissors to cut away old hair.
Hemostats or tweezers to remove old root-balls from inside.
A long doll needle
Guterman extra strong thread (hardly ever breaks)
Nylon hair, pre-sorted into knotted plugs.
No glue!

I'm impressed with the speed of the tool/glue method but personally would save this for G4.

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 01:14:42 AM »
Knot, needle and thread method here, I have the same reservations about glue as some others have mentioned. I don't really use glue much in my pony restorations - unless it's needed to repair a broken neck plug or similar problem - as I'm a bit paranoid about putting sticky substances on vintage ponies in case it causes future deterioration.
It's a time-consuming process but I love how shiny and new a rehaired pony looks! I've also trained my dad to rehair ponies and he's really quick at it: he's good with fiddly things like that.

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2018, 06:39:16 AM »
I used to do the needle and floss thing, it ruined my thumbs (as in the joints now tend to lock). So I'm happy with my rehair tool. The glue I use is slightly thicker and usually keeps the hair in place just fine ^_^

This! The needle and floss method was not the best for my hands and i prefer the tool. ^^
But i make a knot and push the knot in, so i do not need to glue in later. is glueing more common? i bet it is indeed faster!
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline pandabear_chan

• Trade Count: (+393)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 11:54:23 PM »
I use the needle & thread method with knotting the roots. I cannot stand the thought of filling the head with glue and hoping it holds. I do more restoration work than custom though. But like, what if in the future someone else wants to re-re-hair her and they're stuck because of giant wads of adhesive are now coated inside the head? It just sounds horrifying to me. It bothers me to the point where I simply don't buy re-hairs from those that use the glue method.

Good point here about future decisions, but I have to say that the correct glueing method is all that's necessary to achieve perfect results. You need a good glue that has the right consistency and a good tip with which you can dose it just on the roots. Then the correct storage position is important that helps the glue stay in place and not flowing everywhere. When you follow these tips you won't end with tons of glue in the head. Not buying customs/ rehairs for this reason I find a tad too much. Of course everyone can decide by its own.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 01:29:28 AM »
Add me to the "would not buy a glued custom" crowd.  Most glue isn't stable long term.  It yellows, it dries out, it cracks, shrinks and changes pH.  I greatly prefer using mechanical methods of fastening hair that don't add yet another potential source of chemical damage to an already unstable material like vintage vinyl.   I want my customs to last for many decades, not mere months or years.   
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2018, 09:35:38 AM »
I plan on rehairing a Twilight Sparkle I got recently so I DID buy the tool just to try it. She's not super rare, not vintage...so it'll be worth a try I suppose.
Anna, your method sounds like a happy medium.
Bonus points for the knot and floss method: I don't have to run around finding suitable glue that I know won't give out on me.  :lol: It looks like MandaPanda uses Gorilla Glue on her customs' hair, but I can't find any information on how it ages...

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2019, 10:42:13 AM »
I basically reroot witht the needle and knot method, It's sturdy and I don't have to deal with glue.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline NightmareRara

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
    • LiveWire Studios
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 10:56:32 AM »
I use a method that doesn't involve a rerooting tool, and using wire and glue I don't have to remove the plug on a G4, which can go very wrong so I try to avoid it.
 :lovey:
こんにちは  :devious:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal