collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help cleaning gross tail and adhesive  (Read 753 times)

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Depends Pony
  • Researching fakies, as always
    • View Profile
Help cleaning gross tail and adhesive
« on: February 22, 2019, 01:06:23 PM »
I recently obtained a dirty, well-played with Princess Tiffany. I'm working on cleaning her up to the best of my ability. I've hit a wall though, mostly with her tail. On the end of her tail there is something brown and crusty, I'm guessing it could be food. :/

I'm not sure what would be safe to use on getting it out of her tail. Regular dish soap isn't working, and the crust is too tangled to brush it out properly. Is oxyclean safe if I'm just dunking her tail?

She also had a few colorful gem stickers stuck on her. They peeled off easily, but some of the adhesive was left behind. Anything I could use to remove this without damage? Would goo gone work?

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Help cleaning gross tail and adhesive
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 01:17:30 PM »
For the tail l think oxyclean is bad for the tinsel but it probably would take the crusty hopefully food off, maybe you could separate the tinsel and keep it out of the oxyclean while you dip the  tail

As for the adhesive, just heat it up with a hair dryer and when it's warmed up and loose you can gently scrape it off with your fingernail. I use that method often to remove price tag stickers from toys, books and cardboard packages. No need for chemicals
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline bladed

• Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 03:02:41 PM »
i read somewhere goo gone isnt great for ponies... not sure about it but just scrub/scrape it the best you can, it takes a bit of time but better than putting chemicals on old plastic :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 03:36:08 PM »
Yeah, Oxyclean can be rough on metallics, so if you need to de-crud the tinsel too, that might not be the best thing to use. The way you describe it, I wonder if it could be the remains of a disintegrated rubber band, in which case I don't think Oxyclean would be all that helpful in budging it anyway.

Have you tried soaking the tail in soapy water overnight? That might loosen the gunk enough to at least get a brush through it, and then you can separate out the tinsel and use stronger treatment (abrasives, solvents, etc) on the hair if you need to.

For the leftover adhesive, I would do as SaraMari suggests first. If the glue is super stubborn, my next step would be alcohol on a q-tip. Goo Gone would work to remove the stickiness, but I don't like the oily residue it can leave behind, especially for use on something porous like vinyl. Alcohol evaporates quickly and completely, so it's a gentler option.

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Depends Pony
  • Researching fakies, as always
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 04:47:46 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone! I was able to separate the tinsel from the hair, the oxyclean has provided some improvement. I can brush the hair out, but there are still small bits stuck on strands and staining. Might not be entirely fixable, but it's better than it was!

Haven't tried anything on the glue yet but maybe tomorrow I'll check it out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal