collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: ~~Flutter Pony~~ appreciation thread (chat: originals + proposed re-boot)  (Read 4898 times)

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: ~~Flutter Pony~~ appreciation thread (chat: originals + proposed re-boot)
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 01:52:45 AM »
I still haven't ever seen flutter pony wings in real life! My gf had Rosedust, Forget-Me-Not, Honeysuckle and Wind Drifter when she was little, but they were second-hand and already wingless so she pretended that flutter pony wings were so thin and delicate that they were invisible to the naked eye :). She also had one Winger, Little Flitter, who did have wings (though they sometimes came off due to exuberant flying and had to be glued back on frequently) and who was Rosedust's little sister.

My main flutter pony memory is when we got into restoration and started making replacement wings out of drinks bottles. It's just so fun! We also had to drink vast quantities of Coca Cola, lemonade etc :lol:

I keep saying I'm not that interested in the Bridge Direct ponies, but repro flutter ponies are actually pretty tempting....

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 02:50:22 AM »
I kind of hope they are a bit thicker/stronger than the original wings...otherwise I will have wasted my time/money spending so long tracking down original wings for my flutters!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 09:06:13 AM »
I don't own any repro wings, how were the originals? Were they just very brittle plastic? It's a shame that they break so easy and I imagined a more flexible plastic, like water/soda bottle flexibility almost.

The fatal flaw of the originals was that the plastic was fairly brittle and had a weak connection point at the plastic of the base of the wing.  That's where the wings would usually snap off, and it happened very easily!   Before repro wings were common, a real pair of flutter wings cost about $40.  To put it in perspective, this was at a time when Mimic was worth about $35 to $40 and 'regular' G1 ponies tended to cost about $2 to $5.

I actually liked the flutter ponies refusing to help in the movie.  It seemed very in-character for them.  Look at the toys, with those superior expressions.  These ponies would watch you die in a ditch and not shed single a tear.  :P

I had Honeysuckle and Peach Blossom as a kid, new from Christmas, and my sister found Forget-Me-Not (wingless of course) and gave her to me.

Taffeta thanks for the clarification, I've been imagining the wings breaking all wrong! That makes much more sense, maybe they should have kept the wings shorter and made them slightly less heavy? I wonder if the repros are going to be significantly shorter or smaller to make it easier on the tabs...

It wasn't the weight of the wings that made them break, it was the pony falling over, or being dropped, or a child accidentally putting pressure on the wings.  Any external pressure and SNAP!  But the wings themselves were incredibly light. :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:11:46 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 09:58:08 AM »

It wasn't the weight of the wings that made them break, it was the pony falling over, or being dropped, or a child accidentally putting pressure on the wings.  Any external pressure and SNAP!  But the wings themselves were incredibly light. :)

Ugh, yeah! I have repro wings and I accidentally dropped Lily while I was dusting. It didn't break, but now there's an ugly crease in her wing!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 12:16:59 PM »
Quote from: LadyMoondancer link=topic=394638.msg1760984#msg1760984

This is true. Also the pressure of the fluttering wings against the air was probably a factor. With intact wings you sometimes see them with pressure around that area where there's been some stress but not enough to break it. In the box they are quite tightly put in place so there's no movement...it's the moment they are out and capable of being moved that they are also susceptible to breakage. To break the main part of a wing you'd probably have to stand on it - but lots of things can snap the small bit of plastic holding wing tab to pony.

Flutter wings were never expensive on the second hand market here when they were selling for silly money in the US. I've mentioned it before but we ended up with surplus wings just from carbooting regularly, and they came in ebay lots quite often too. The problem is that getting the right colour match unbroken wings for the first set/hollywood/yum yum is a challenge. I didn't really bother with that, unless they have them intact with the pony, they have the wings they're given and they don't complain about it >.>

But I never saw flutter wings selling for that amount here. I guess maybe the UK were slow on the uptake about those...of course they are NOW much harder to find here, but a lot of people don't bother to track down the originals because of reproductions or custom wings in any particular artistic style.

Repros had an impact on price of course, which was probably a relief for people wanting original wings (except the risk of them getting mixed up, as some repros look very real). But I don't know that the retros, however the wings might be, will affect the value. The people who want real wings will still look for real wings. The people who are happy with using the retro wings are probably also the people happy with repro wings. So it won't really change much.

I think if they make these, we will see whether Basic Fun's main focus is collector or kids....and even though I am very fussy about wings, I sort of hope that their answer is "kids". :/ I had my chance to have a flutter from new and play with her, and yeah, she broke, but not immediately. And it didn't change my love for her. I would often just prop her wings between the button and the tab holders and flap her anyway xD so yeah. It would be nice to spread that to another generation. In those terms, probably, the more important flutter feature is that they flap.

But I still have high expectations on what I consider proper flutter wings xD. If they don't match that, then to me they will be the same as the repros. Copies but not quite the real deal.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 03:31:05 PM »
I still played with my wingless flutters too but I do wish I hadn't lost Yum Yum's wings after they broke and they broke right on the tab where the wings connected to the body.

I remember after I got Rosedust from a girl at school I watched the movie and pressed the button on my Rosedust like she still had wings whenever Rosedust was on the screen.

I also remember how expensive original flutter wings were in the US. When I got back in to ponies I thought I might be able to find orignal unbroken wings for my flutters but then I found out how much they cost.

As a result of all of my flutters breaking I was extra careful with my Summer Wing Skydancer because I wanted her wings to remain intact.

I really hope we see Basic Fun flutter ponies and that the wings are sturdy enough to hold up to children playing with them.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 05:35:26 PM »
It is no small thing I am obsessed with flutter ponies. I love them all. I only had Lily, but I remember her body very purple, exactly like her main and tail. I am on search for a Lily like that. I can not recall wings. I do remember seeing a boxed flutter cloud puff on the table of a friends house. They said it was for me, but had to take it back because it was broken....I never got a flutter pony. Not sure if I got a pony from that friend, but I dream of a cloud puff.

I played with my ponies so much I could not define if they had wings or not. I remember getting into collecting and checked out prices, and knew I was never meant to have original wings. Mostly because I still play with my ponies at 36:D

So I make my own and got creative! I just found my first two wings ever made so I will get pictures of those and the ones I make now soon.

As for the movie, I just lived them but also wanted the white flutter with pink hair...yup never made
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 05:38:01 PM by Crowning_Glory13 »
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 08:05:00 PM »
My flutter was Yum Yum and I loved her loud coloring as opposed to her more sedate cousins. The colorful wings were fascinating and though I was careful. Her wings were soon parted ways from her body, still played with her though. I have clear memories of buying a Winger, walking around the store trailing after my mom with the box in hand.

Bored to death with grocery shopping and enjoying the break from monotony. Buzzer came home with me because I had enough of my own money with me. MLP's, teaching 80s kids the ins and outs of finance.

The dying in the ditch comment sums up how I thought they felt about the other ponies. They were the divas and everyone was commoners.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2019, 06:08:14 PM »
I would not mind getting these new ones when they come out! Never got to see the original ones when I was little in the stores.

Offline toyjunky

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2019, 07:33:09 PM »
I have Rosedust, Honeysuckle and Lily from when I was a kid. I distinctively remember getting Honeysuckle for Christmas. I can't imagine how many times my mom took the hot glue gun (cold setting I think) to those wings. I just remember it got to a point where she was just like enough is enough and they remained wingless after that (I still have the wings in boxes somewhere). I REALLY hope the retailers pick them up.

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2019, 07:26:50 PM »
I would love to see original wings even if they are broken. It's like seeing an artifact. Not much for history but the idea to see a rare piece. For example, I would freak out to see a Hollywood in person...or scribbles(recently discovered not a flutter pony)

Post Merge: February 28, 2019, 12:20:07 PM

First wings made

1F9B7279-590C-4DBA-8FBB-067F68545C75 by s s, on Flickr

To now

3D869C26-8163-4EF8-BF6C-E1100FA795A1 by s s, on Flickr

Love wings. I do hope the wings are not 100% attached or molded. I like the idea of examining their creation...and hope they look rainbow like in the sun light.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 12:20:08 PM by Crowning_Glory13 »
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline Psylocke

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
I always wanted flutter ponies as a kid, but i can't remember finding any of them in the stores. Don't know if they were even sold here or if I just had bad luck. Saw my first flutter irl at a Pony Meet in 2007 and thought they looked weird so didn't bother to buy any. Saw them again at a con last month and bought one and suddenly fell in love??? Bought some more on eBay and more are on their way! :'D :heart: Gonna buy a couple of new wings from etsy for the prettiest of them but for the others I'm just gonna make a few myself. So strange though how Hasbro made childrens toys that weren't suited for playing with, surely they could've come up with better wings. Like the summer wing ponies for example.

Crossing all fingers and toes that the flutter ponies will get re-made!!!! AND that they'll be sold in Europe..... :rolleyes:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal