collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: ~~Flutter Pony~~ appreciation thread (chat: originals + proposed re-boot)  (Read 4896 times)

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
So there are rumours that Basic Fun are *thinking* about releasing flutters - as seen at the 2019 toy shows - but of course with the usual caveats (like production costs, trade interest etc.).

Naturally, as evidenced by these boards, quite a few of us are super excited (yay clean, new flutters with intact wings!) - and maybe a wee bit apprehensive (will they actually get the proposed stronger, thicker wings looking right?)

Here is a link to an advert from 1986 -
I wonder if they had any "stunt flutters" with extra-strong wings that could last being played-with for the duration of the ad!  :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY6E0fAPBRg

I was lucky enough as a kid to buy Honeysuckle and Rosedust from the shelf, (WH Smith, I think) they looked so pretty in their boxes (I remember being upset that a wing fell off the moment I carefully de-boxed, but oh well).

Delicate, fairy-like poses, sylph-like bodies, their AB (Aurora Borealis) coated wings twinkling in the light, picking up the surrounding colours in their reflections, extra long curly manes and tails - magical!

I was a bit annoyed at their characters in the original movie and their reluctance, at first, to help the earth ponies; it bugged me!

G4: I look at the animation in FIM, especially for Celestia and how her mane magically swirls and twinkles and it does remind me somewhat of the look/effect of a flutter pony.

Please share some of your photos and memories - also, excitement and hopes for the new release (IF they ever DO get released, that it!) 
:frolic:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: ~~Flutter Pony~~ appreciation thread (chat: originals + proposed re-boot)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 04:23:59 AM »
I never saw the flutters in animation as a kid. Seeing it as a teenager also was disappointing, I felt they were nondescript and annoying. But I liked how the comic gave them each their own character.

I first saw a flutter which was Rosedust, at school. The wings were damaged but still attached in that recollection. I bought Tropical Breeze with my birthday money in 1987. I remember a whole wall of flutters, in their tiny boxes, sparkling their wings at me. I chose carefully. I had wanted Wing Song but she wasn't there. Wind Drifter I thought I wanted, but decided I didn't like her pose. I wasn't interested in Rosedust as my friend had her. I don't recall who else was there, but Dad persuaded me towards Tropi (he likes red xD). In hindsight he was right, she is the nicest flutter :D I don't remember when Tropi's wings broke, but I knew it was a possibility because of my friend and so I kept them religiously. My Tropi got played with a lot as Lucky's big sister mostly. But I have since fixed her wings. Unfortunately her hair is very frizzy now. But she's still my childhood Tropi.

The other flutter from my childhood was Cloud Puff. She belonged to another friend, who was super careful with her ponies. But of course, Cloud Puff also had broken wings. I have that Cloud Puff now, and her wings, also now repaired. I also have both Tropi and Cloud Puff MIB, as I consider them both my childhood flutters in different ways. I also have Rosedust but I am not so keen on her. These are boxes with the art from my childhood. I only have one in a US box (Morning Glory) and she sits at the back of my shelf :/ I love the UK boxes because of the little poems (also in the factfile). I have five in box in total. ROsedust and Lily (UK box) have both been removed, Rosedust more so, but both are complete with their stickers and unbroken wings. Morning Glory is in her US box. Tropi and Cloud Puff are in French boxes. No stickers :( as France didn't get them, But I do have my childhood Tropi one. And the art is the same as the UK. My flutter obsession also extends to box collection. I think I have loose UK boxes for most of the first set and Tropical Breeze.

As a kid I memorised Tropi's poem as she was my flutter. "Flutter ponies bring good luck, no matter what life brings. And if you need a helping hand, Tropical Breeze flutters her wings." Something like that :)

I am very concerned about the new wings living up to the old. Of course I don't want another generation of sad kids with broken wings. But I love the original wings too.

On another note about stunt ponies, the second year wings were arguably stronger. I had Tropi and she still broke, but I will say this. We picked up Pink Dreams at a market here in the UK, in a plastic bag with her wings separate and strapped to card. That was how she was sold here at the end of the line. So she was new with her wings intact. And she fell from my top shelf all the way to the floor of my room once.

And her wings did not break.

She is still entirely intact.

I also remember getting MIB Lily at ponycon as my first buy a few years ago. And carrying her around the whole day then getting her back to my uni room, and finally getting her home proper. She also didn't break. While MIB flutters are generally quite stable and so do survive postage, Lily had been out of her box and wasn't properly affixed in. I fashioned a temporary fix and apparently it worked, but Lily, being a first year flutter, has the more delicate wings. So I think I was lucky.

Maybe there are stunt flutters out there...

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 04:26:57 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 05:40:14 AM »
Never had flutters as a kid. Had a winger. I will be very curious as to how they're going to finagle those wings so they are indestructible!

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 06:37:48 AM »
The only flutter pony I had was Tropical Breeze, I was less than a year to about a year when her set came out. As such I have no recollection of buying her, opening her etc. In my mind she was always wingless since I have no memories of ever having her wings intact.

I'm looking forward to the retro flutters and not poo pooing them already because I don't have any insisting expectations of their wings, I just want them to look cute and stay attached. I don't want to harvest the retro flutter pony wings to use on old vintage flutters either, I don't like mixing old and new things haha

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 06:39:00 AM »
I was disappointed by how they were presented in the movie/cartoon. The movie was meant to be an ad for them, and they were..lackluster. That said I think they are very cute and didn't learn that you could FLUTTER their wings until recently. It's made me appreciate them a lot more and want to make cute wings for them.
I don't own any repro wings, how were the originals? Were they just very brittle plastic? It's a shame that they break so easy and I imagined a more flexible plastic, like water/soda bottle flexibility almost.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 06:45:52 AM »
I saw the Flutters as a kid in the movie and show and remember wanting Morning Glory, Forget-Me-Not and Peach Blossom. I never got them. My first Flutter was Yum Yum. Its weird because when I first saw her, I turned my nose up and thought her colors were clashy and ugly. When she came in the mail, it was love at first sight. I've come to realize that I prefer my chartreuse ponies to have noticeably more green like my childhood Shady did. I have Tropical Breeze who is my absolute favorite and I want to try to get more Flutters this year. I have my heart set on Wind Drifter.

I like the new Flutter wings on the remakes as I never liked the shape of the original wings. They look strange and bubbly to me. Neither of my first flutters have the classic wing shape. Had a lot of fun making them using Linniekin's tutorial.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:35:05 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 07:15:53 AM »
I had Honeysuckle. Rosedust and Yum Yum in my childhood ponies. I still have them. :) but they are wingless. Rosedust came to me without wings. I traded some Mirco Beauty ponies for her. I don't remember my Honeysuckle having wings. I was so happy to get Yum Yum in the Birthday Party gift set with her wings still attached. I was always carefully with my toys and was extra careful with Yum Yum but her wings broke off anyway. :sad: I thought I had saved them but somehow they got lost/thrown out along the way.

I didn't realize that my Honeysuckle was an alternate mold flutter until I posted pics of her on the Trading Post and everyone kept saying she was different than the usual Honeysuckle.

I'm excited that we might see retro flutter ponies. :)

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 07:44:38 AM »
I only had Tropical Breeze as a kid.  I picked her up at a flea market.  She had horrible messy hair.  My cousin had Rosedust (my favorite), Wingson, and Forget-Me-Not.  They never had wings in my memory.  I am excited for the new ones to have hardier wings.  Hopefully, they get picked up and they add Rosedust.  She is queen after all!  Wouldn't it be awesome if they made the Flutter Hideaway from Ruth Bush's (?) concept art?

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 08:50:00 AM »
I don't own any repro wings, how were the originals? Were they just very brittle plastic? It's a shame that they break so easy and I imagined a more flexible plastic, like water/soda bottle flexibility almost.

I think that fluttering the wings probably added to their quick demise.

The weakness I believe is in the join - the tabs that connect the wing to the body. The wings themselves are actually pretty sturdy. I haven't ever seen a wing that was broken across the main part. They always break at the tab, and I think it's because of that mechanism. It's a slim piece of plastic, and even though they tried to strengthen it with the way the second wave were made (with more easily removeable wings, too), it didn't really solve the problem. I guess that's why wingers happened instead of more flutters.

I do wonder though if flutters would lose their charm if their wings were more sturdy. I like the ephemeral nature of it :)

Edit to add: I just saw the advert and realised Rosedust and Forget me Not are in each other's poses for most of the ad. And I like them better that way O.O.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:40:18 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 03:10:20 PM »
It's odd but I didn't really associate the toys with the cartoons much- they seemed so different.

When the toys came out I was so in love with the thin gossamer fairy like wings-  too bad my first wing broke just taking it out of the box.  :cry:

They were definitely too fragile for real children.  The new ones don't seem to have that gossamer thin as a rainbow look that I loved- but I do like the idea of actual little kids ACTUALLY being able to play with them without crying...  so I'm on board.

We should all call the buyers for Target (and other big box stores) and ask them to carry!!!

I was reading this checklist from  http://mrcheckout.net/how-to-get-product-into-target, and I think some of this advice could be applied to requesting a Target BUYER to carry the line too

Contact Target Buyer

Call the Target’s corporate phone number and ask for the names of the buyer and assistant buyers in your category.

Always leave voicemail with whomever the dispatch will connect you.

Use that information to connect with them on LinkedIn, RangeMe and any other professional social platform.

Ask your representative at your trade bureau to connect you to the Target buyers as they will potentially have a better history.

So what would the category be for Flutter ponies? I used to have the name of the buyer for "girls soft" but I think that means dolls- would mlp be "girls soft" or another category?

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 03:19:42 PM »
Taffeta thanks for the clarification, I've been imagining the wings breaking all wrong! That makes much more sense, maybe they should have kept the wings shorter and made them slightly less heavy? I wonder if the repros are going to be significantly shorter or smaller to make it easier on the tabs...

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 03:22:21 PM »
I never noticed that Rosedust and Forget Me Not are in each others poses. Protype ponies in ads strike again.  :)

I heard somewhere that flutter ponies were supposed to be fairy ponies.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 03:37:56 PM »
My first was Peach Blossom.  I adored her color and the fact that she had an extra mark on her face.  I still have her wings but the tabs are broken off.   :cry:

I never bought more than one in a set and I don't think I was aware of wave two in those days.  But it was funny that I met my best friend in high school and she also had a single flutter pony, Peach Blossom.  If they come in stores, I'm sending her Peach Blossom.

It is exciting to possibly see these in stores! I hope they do well.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 10:57:37 PM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 03:48:15 PM »
So I don't have a great comparison photo with the prototype flutters, but here is the best I got from a screen capture.

It looks like they are using plastic wings that are roughly 2x as thick. Maybe they are more flexible/durable too. Plastics have come a long way since 1986 after all.

The problem with the original wings, as many of us know, are that the plastic was thin (beautiful but thin) and brittle. There was a little tab glued on the end to fix the wing in the wing base. But the slightest pressure on the wing just caused the wing to snap, right at that point where the plastic was glued on to the base... 

I've seen many plastic products that were thin and MUCH tougher in recent toys, so I am confident the new wings will be quite tough.

Post Merge: February 21, 2019, 03:52:45 PM

Here's another pic of the original wing...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 03:52:46 PM by Galactica »

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 12:28:15 AM »
I remember that ad! My parents refused to buy me a flutter pony. = Big Scar. So of course I am in the process of acquiring both sets as I just adore them. None of mine have wings, and the first I received were a lot of 3 that I bought on eBay for $1. Which was so strange as Cloud Puff is perfect, no discolouration at all and factory curl to boot. But I am not complaining, not one little bit. So the first time I ever even got to hold a flutter pony was as an adult, I have never seen the original wings in person and have no attachment to them. All my ponies do now have wings, but I made them myself.

I would be first in line if the re-boot flutters were actually made. Though I have low expectations of them making it to SA. Retailers here are dim and cannot see the benefit in bringing the ponies in. It is deeply frustrating to know that all these lovely ponies ARE available, but not to us as the shipping fees are very high on top of the terrible exchange rate. $1 = R13-98 and 1 pound = R18-23, so we have to times the selling price by either 14 or just over 18 before even thinking about shipping price. Siiigh.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal