Pony Talk > Pony Corral

~~Flutter Pony~~ appreciation thread (chat: originals + proposed re-boot)

(1/6) > >>

glitterball:
So there are rumours that Basic Fun are *thinking* about releasing flutters - as seen at the 2019 toy shows - but of course with the usual caveats (like production costs, trade interest etc.).

Naturally, as evidenced by these boards, quite a few of us are super excited (yay clean, new flutters with intact wings!) - and maybe a wee bit apprehensive (will they actually get the proposed stronger, thicker wings looking right?)

Here is a link to an advert from 1986 -
I wonder if they had any "stunt flutters" with extra-strong wings that could last being played-with for the duration of the ad!  :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY6E0fAPBRg

I was lucky enough as a kid to buy Honeysuckle and Rosedust from the shelf, (WH Smith, I think) they looked so pretty in their boxes (I remember being upset that a wing fell off the moment I carefully de-boxed, but oh well).

Delicate, fairy-like poses, sylph-like bodies, their AB (Aurora Borealis) coated wings twinkling in the light, picking up the surrounding colours in their reflections, extra long curly manes and tails - magical!

I was a bit annoyed at their characters in the original movie and their reluctance, at first, to help the earth ponies; it bugged me!

G4: I look at the animation in FIM, especially for Celestia and how her mane magically swirls and twinkles and it does remind me somewhat of the look/effect of a flutter pony.

Please share some of your photos and memories - also, excitement and hopes for the new release (IF they ever DO get released, that it!) 
:frolic:

Taffeta:
I never saw the flutters in animation as a kid. Seeing it as a teenager also was disappointing, I felt they were nondescript and annoying. But I liked how the comic gave them each their own character.

I first saw a flutter which was Rosedust, at school. The wings were damaged but still attached in that recollection. I bought Tropical Breeze with my birthday money in 1987. I remember a whole wall of flutters, in their tiny boxes, sparkling their wings at me. I chose carefully. I had wanted Wing Song but she wasn't there. Wind Drifter I thought I wanted, but decided I didn't like her pose. I wasn't interested in Rosedust as my friend had her. I don't recall who else was there, but Dad persuaded me towards Tropi (he likes red xD). In hindsight he was right, she is the nicest flutter :D I don't remember when Tropi's wings broke, but I knew it was a possibility because of my friend and so I kept them religiously. My Tropi got played with a lot as Lucky's big sister mostly. But I have since fixed her wings. Unfortunately her hair is very frizzy now. But she's still my childhood Tropi.

The other flutter from my childhood was Cloud Puff. She belonged to another friend, who was super careful with her ponies. But of course, Cloud Puff also had broken wings. I have that Cloud Puff now, and her wings, also now repaired. I also have both Tropi and Cloud Puff MIB, as I consider them both my childhood flutters in different ways. I also have Rosedust but I am not so keen on her. These are boxes with the art from my childhood. I only have one in a US box (Morning Glory) and she sits at the back of my shelf :/ I love the UK boxes because of the little poems (also in the factfile). I have five in box in total. ROsedust and Lily (UK box) have both been removed, Rosedust more so, but both are complete with their stickers and unbroken wings. Morning Glory is in her US box. Tropi and Cloud Puff are in French boxes. No stickers :( as France didn't get them, But I do have my childhood Tropi one. And the art is the same as the UK. My flutter obsession also extends to box collection. I think I have loose UK boxes for most of the first set and Tropical Breeze.

As a kid I memorised Tropi's poem as she was my flutter. "Flutter ponies bring good luck, no matter what life brings. And if you need a helping hand, Tropical Breeze flutters her wings." Something like that :)

I am very concerned about the new wings living up to the old. Of course I don't want another generation of sad kids with broken wings. But I love the original wings too.

On another note about stunt ponies, the second year wings were arguably stronger. I had Tropi and she still broke, but I will say this. We picked up Pink Dreams at a market here in the UK, in a plastic bag with her wings separate and strapped to card. That was how she was sold here at the end of the line. So she was new with her wings intact. And she fell from my top shelf all the way to the floor of my room once.

And her wings did not break.

She is still entirely intact.

I also remember getting MIB Lily at ponycon as my first buy a few years ago. And carrying her around the whole day then getting her back to my uni room, and finally getting her home proper. She also didn't break. While MIB flutters are generally quite stable and so do survive postage, Lily had been out of her box and wasn't properly affixed in. I fashioned a temporary fix and apparently it worked, but Lily, being a first year flutter, has the more delicate wings. So I think I was lucky.

Maybe there are stunt flutters out there...

mlp4me:
Never had flutters as a kid. Had a winger. I will be very curious as to how they're going to finagle those wings so they are indestructible!

SaraMari:
The only flutter pony I had was Tropical Breeze, I was less than a year to about a year when her set came out. As such I have no recollection of buying her, opening her etc. In my mind she was always wingless since I have no memories of ever having her wings intact.

I'm looking forward to the retro flutters and not poo pooing them already because I don't have any insisting expectations of their wings, I just want them to look cute and stay attached. I don't want to harvest the retro flutter pony wings to use on old vintage flutters either, I don't like mixing old and new things haha

tailrustedtealeaf:
I was disappointed by how they were presented in the movie/cartoon. The movie was meant to be an ad for them, and they were..lackluster. That said I think they are very cute and didn't learn that you could FLUTTER their wings until recently. It's made me appreciate them a lot more and want to make cute wings for them.
I don't own any repro wings, how were the originals? Were they just very brittle plastic? It's a shame that they break so easy and I imagined a more flexible plastic, like water/soda bottle flexibility almost.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version