collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Season 9 Officially the Last Season of FiM (SPOILERS!)  (Read 23253 times)

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I like how we always have the same people in these threads saying they are no (longer) fans or that they don't watch FiM at all but at the same time seem to be still interested in it.

I think some people are just afraid of being lumped together with some other fans of the show so they'll just pretend they don't really care about it while secretly still watching it.
Inka Dinka Doo
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
I like how we always have the same people in these threads saying they are no (longer) fans or that they don't watch FiM at all but at the same time seem to be still interested in it.

I think some people are just afraid of being lumped together with some other fans of the show so they'll just pretend they don't really care about it while secretly still watching it.
It might also be that they're watching to see if they're wrong.

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
Personally, it was once my job to be in top of pop culture, and I still try. Plus, being online in 2012 meant you were force-fed a lot of brony things, and I checked out the show to see what the fuss was about. I honestly don't get it; I like some characters, don't like others, and overall it's very take-it-or-leave-it. The aesthetic of some things appeals to me, especially some of the art design.

Plus, I like to be forwarned of any incoming drama, akin to the Twilicorn or Muffins controversies that arose and swamped a lot of my social media at the time.

With the series ending, I'm curious if they'll keep the IOS game going, or keep it static as it's a good moneymaker I'm assuming (plus,, there will always be fans who refuse to move to a new Gen. I refused to move to Monster High's second gen, for example!)

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Whatever happens, I hope we finally get to see Zecora's land or at least her family in S9. It always bothered me how Zecora was kind of the token youknowwhat. She is a whole TV trope. No life of her own, just always helping the hero with a potion or a curse, talking in rhyme to a drum beat, doing magic brews.

She is a pony, she has a cutiemark.
I want just one scene where we see St. Savannah or Zebraville or whatever punny name, just show where she came from and show that not all zebras are voodoo priests :lookround:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook

I can't speak for anyone else, but I watched the first half of season 1 out of curiosity on the pressure of a non pony friend when it came out. Didn't get on with it much. Watched a couple of series through because I feel like I should not complain about something without having watched it in order to form an opinion. Airing in the UK was spasmodic so saw some eps out of sequence, but I think I've watched up to about the midpoint of season 3? End of season 2? Something like that.

I did go deliberately to watch the eps about Starlight Glimmer out of sequence because I felt it disrespectful to comment on people's diverse opinions of her without knowing the context and I found the discussion about her and her actions interesting.

As for discussing it, and why I sometimes do, I study representation of theme in narrative. So I find that stuff interesting. Kind of speaks for itself really...

You don't have to like something to engage in the conversation. But I think it's better to know something you dislike than say you dislike something you've never seen, right? I am not a fan of the brony sector who have never seen or looked into G1 but say they hate it. So obviously I am going to watch FIM before I comment on it. That's just common sense.

But that's just me. Don't know about anyone else :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
Airing in the UK was spasmodic so saw some eps out of sequence.
Yeah, the UK handled it weirdly; when it was on Boomerang they kept repeating the first half or so of season one, and then showed the rest of that season, but called it season two - then Tiny Pop took it.  I love that it ended up on Tiny Pop, because I have fond memories of that channel, and it fitted in more on that to me.  However, they showed things out of order at times, and even aired some seasons for the first time out order in someway (it definitely made unicorn/alicorn Twilight Sparkle inconsistent, whatever order it was.)

I was mostly alright - I basically watched most of it on YouTube, so I tended to get it in order, and on time back then.  Aside from watching "The Show Stoppers" on YouTube before even knowing what it was, and then "Applebuck Season", "Bridle Gossip" and "Friendship is Magic Part 1" (I think in that order) on television, I was part of a group chat on a Final Fantasy forum where we live chatted all of season 1 and what we had of season 2 at the time.  After that, I just followed it on YouTube - I was hanging out at the wiki a lot back then, in addition to the aforementioned FF forum having a pony thread, so I always more or less knew when to look for the latest episode - I probably felt I had to before I saw what people were saying about it, to be honest.

It's the opposite now, I feel I have to check around to see what people are saying about the episode to build my confidence up to see it - it's weird, but it feels different.

As for talking about it, despite not watching it; well, it's still an important show to me, because season one and season two really do live up to the hype they've been given in my opinion - I realise that the earlier generations did most, if not all of the things that make those seasons awesome now, but the show really did come at the right time for me, and genuinely felt like a show I had grown up with, rather than something that came out "last year" (at the time), so I'll always have an opinion on what I feel My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is and what I feel it should be, and the fact that it is a sentimental show to me, is what causes me to have so much opinions on the later season, which I feel don't live up to what it started out as.

Season three was good as well, and while cracks were definitely forming in season four (some in three, and even two if my views on "Putting Your Hoof Down" counts) season five onwards tends to make season four not as bad in places, or at least makes me want to look at it again... I dunno.  The beginning of the end was in season four for me though.

However, I have still managed to find things I like, in I think every season (though I'm so in and out of it, I have to remind myself what episode is from what season at times.)
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile

I did go deliberately to watch the eps about Starlight Glimmer out of sequence because I felt it disrespectful to comment on people's diverse opinions of her without knowing the context and I found the discussion about her and her actions interesting.

That's funny because I did the same. Got back into FiM when I had heard of the Starlight outrage (when she came back as a reformed character) and watched her eps before catching up with anything else.
She ended up in my top 3 fave characters in FiM so I decided to catch up and continue watching the show. Also was delighted to find out her voice actress.

Then I watched Flurry Heart episodes because that used to be a big outrage, too. I started fangirling Flurry just because virtually all other adult fans hated her. My love of Starlight is real, my love of McFlurry is me being a contrarian :lol:

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
Adventures in baby sitting with King Sombra
(and you thought the episode with Pinkie Pie babysitting was funny)

Hopefully the photo will show up.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 03:37:51 PM by KarentheUnicorn »
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile

That's funny because I did the same. Got back into FiM when I had heard of the Starlight outrage (when she came back as a reformed character) and watched her eps before catching up with anything else.
She ended up in my top 3 fave characters in FiM so I decided to catch up and continue watching the show. Also was delighted to find out her voice actress.

Then I watched Flurry Heart episodes because that used to be a big outrage, too. I started fangirling Flurry just because virtually all other adult fans hated her. My love of Starlight is real, my love of McFlurry is me being a contrarian :lol:

I actually really liked Starlight Glimmer. Which appears to be an unpopular opinion but I like her more than the mane 6. But the thing is in EQG (which I do watch, when specials come out), I like Sunset Shimmer best of all the characters. So maybe it's just a theme with me about the characters I like in things. In Jem I like the Misfits better. I dunno. I find intended heroes don't click with me because they either have to be heroic and thus dull or hypocrites and thus annoying. So all the Starlight discussion really piqued my interest.

It didn't inspire me to watch more. But I did find it interesting. And her interesting. Which probably means for me those are the best FIM eps. But I won't post in the other thread about it as I have seen maybe 1/3 of eps and aside Rarity's whining/complaining speech which I still love, none of the other eps stick out for me positively. Mostly I don't remember much about them from another at all, except when there's a theme I go WOAH at. And that's not so good.

But yeah, Starlight was fine :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
So maybe it's just a theme with me about the characters I like in things.

Meanwhile, I'm posting pictures of King Sombra trying to kidnap a baby...
And lest we not forget...professor Snape pony...

and if I remember right, that was an episode with Starlight

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
So maybe it's just a theme with me about the characters I like in things.

Meanwhile, I'm posting pictures of King Sombra trying to kidnap a baby...
And lest we not forget...professor Snape pony...

and if I remember right, that was an episode with Starlight

Trust you to spot a Snape-pony :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile

Trust you to spot a Snape-pony :D

it's totally Snape, they copied that character from attitude down to the outfit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ57LsOIxhk

here is a link to the video scene that pony is in. Not sure if you've watched that episode or not If I remember rightly he was Starlight's teacher when she was a young pony :)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile

I'm wondering how Sombra will be able to get in to the Empire. I thought the Crystal Heart keeps him out?

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile

I'm wondering how Sombra will be able to get in to the Empire. I thought the Crystal Heart keeps him out?

Ponyfan

They needed a baby sitter, Sombra applied.

I imagine him saying,  'I will show you foolish ponies how to change a diaper!!'

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
I thought Sombra was only able to say "crystals" like some kind of pokemon :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal