collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Season 9 Officially the Last Season of FiM (SPOILERS!)  (Read 23254 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Season 9 Officially the Last Season of FiM
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2019, 12:57:14 PM »
I think that Cozy Glow might still be Chrysalis. One thing I can't figure out about Chrysalis is that she has gone after Starlight for revenge but not Thorax who also played a big part in her defeat but whenever she appears Chrysalis is only after Starlight.

Placing Cozy in Tartarus right next to Tirek was a bad idea and I'm sure the Season 9 opener will show us how bad of a decision that was. 

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2019, 12:58:52 PM »
Part of the problem with the toxicity is the willingness of the creators to feed it by catering to the fandom. If they hadn't done that, the toxic element would probably have got bored and moved on and left the real fans behind rather than them having to defend themselves as not being that kind of brony.

So as not to get the thread locked, I will refrain from sharing the non-MLP-rcommunity contexts in which I have encountered brony toxicity. Instead I'll go back to the show, although I think the behaviour of said community demonstrates the problems of the way the show message is transmitted. It's still that ep with the Griffins and the cultural treasure that Dash and Pinkie destroy (But it's ok cos now you have something better, friendship!) that chills me to the bone. The world is in a big mess precisely because of that kind of ideology.

But I do also think it has probably poisoned the direction in which MLP will now go forever. And that hurts me way more than the entire existence of G4, its series, and its fandom. Because each generation should be a thing. But I feel like we're never going to lose Pinkie Pie now.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2019, 01:18:07 PM »
The Cozy Glow thing was just stupid - is there no juvenile centers in Equestria?  Why send a foal to somewhere that could be comparable to Hell, much less so close to an actual villain that she could easily work together with?
And yet the xenophobic Betsy DeVos pony gets reformed.  What logic went into that decision?

The problem is the staff are really not that great.  So praise to them is mana from heaven no matter what the source.  I also personally believe the writers actually agree with the fandom on its more toxic ideologies.  This is the show that condoned racism in its second season.  They also seem to have the same desperate need for validation with their stringing along stupid ideas like Scootaloo being supposedly disable and Applejack's parents being dead despite neither having actual substance to give them true impact.  Really, they were meant for each other but sadly it's being done on the back of My Little Pony.

As for Pinkie Pie.  While I imagine Pinkie Pies are just the future, could they make future incarnations frequently recurring characters.  I had the idea where Pinkie Pie is like the mayor from Paw Patrol (the woman mayor of the PP's town, not the evil guy with the cats).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 01:28:57 PM by Al-1701 »
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2019, 01:20:07 PM »
I feel the same way about the episode that introduced Thorax. Even though I like Thorax as a character 90% of the episode is the ponies (including Twilight) saying that all Changelings are bad and can't be trusted and it isn't until Spike gets brave enough to speak up for Thorax that the ponies suddenly admit they were wrong and welcome Thorax.

Ponyfan

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2019, 01:41:50 PM »
One thing I can't figure out about Chrysalis is that she has gone after Starlight for revenge but not Thorax who also played a big part in her defeat but whenever she appears Chrysalis is only after Starlight.

Ponyfan
Yeah, that's a good point.  If anything she should be seeking revenge against Thorax more than anyone, because he not only overthrew her, he'd also be a traitor from her perspective...
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2019, 03:20:11 PM »
One thing I can't figure out about Chrysalis is that she has gone after Starlight for revenge but not Thorax who also played a big part in her defeat but whenever she appears Chrysalis is only after Starlight.

Ponyfan
Yeah, that's a good point.  If anything she should be seeking revenge against Thorax more than anyone, because he not only overthrew her, he'd also be a traitor from her perspective...

I think she even called him a traitor in the 2 part episode where he helped defeat her and he is ruling the Changelings now so it just doesn't make sense to me to take all her revenge out on Starlight. Why haven't we seen her at least try to challenge Thorax?

Ponyfan

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2019, 06:34:38 PM »
Can't say I'm gonna miss it. Hasn't really been that enjoyable since like the Season 5 finale.

Offline Bright_Glow

• Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2019, 09:21:41 AM »
I believe there are some unfinished stories and ignored possibilities during the seasons like for me I would love to see an episode where the CMC visits Babs Seed in Manehatten and the local CMC or Twilight Sparkle introduce Moondancer and her old friends to her Ponyville friends.

Oh, I would love to see Sunset Simmer's reaction when Twilight Sparkle tells her about her School of friendship.

Thanks to SDS and Valerie for my avie and sigs

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2019, 01:13:50 PM »
It is a bit sad to see it go.  I and many others were introduced to the broader joy of the MLP franchise via FiM.  However, 9 seasons is frankly an insane number for any show and at this point I am well and truly burnt out on both FiM and G4.  I hope the series moves on after this but it seems a bit unlikely.

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2019, 01:46:39 PM »
Because each generation should be a thing. But I feel like we're never going to lose Pinkie Pie now.

If G5 has another reincarnation of Pinkie Pie as a main character,  I'm going to scream!  :rant: :rant: :rant:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2019, 02:29:20 PM »
Because each generation should be a thing. But I feel like we're never going to lose Pinkie Pie now.

If G5 has another reincarnation of Pinkie Pie as a main character,  I'm going to scream!  :rant: :rant: :rant:

I know.  :enraged:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2019, 06:57:27 PM »

I know.  :enraged:
And if there had to be a Pinkie Pie, can we not have another LOL random pony who sounds like she breathes heliox instead of air?  And let's launch dumb jock Rainbow Dash into the sun while we're at it.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2019, 11:04:23 AM »
I wish G5 would come sooner. I made my peace with the fact it's just going to be a reboot. At least it has the potential to give us a fresh new look.

I came back on just to check if there were more announcements for the next show/movie. Really don't care about yet another rainbow thing. Just make sure Starlight gets to be an alicorn in the end :biggrin: Make her queen!

Post Merge: February 22, 2019, 11:09:08 AM

The forced and largely unbelievable messages about 'friendship' are frankly chilling on occasion (...)

I will never ever forget the episode about stealing land from natives then Pinkie Pie doing a song and dance number about "sharing and caring". That has got to be one of the most messed up messages the show ever produced. That was early in when Lauren Faust was still on. I'll never let that one go :P
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 11:09:08 AM by Zapper »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2019, 12:35:30 PM »
I wish G5 would come sooner. I made my peace with the fact it's just going to be a reboot. At least it has the potential to give us a fresh new look.

I came back on just to check if there were more announcements for the next show/movie. Really don't care about yet another rainbow thing. Just make sure Starlight gets to be an alicorn in the end :biggrin: Make her queen!

Post Merge: February 22, 2019, 11:09:08 AM

The forced and largely unbelievable messages about 'friendship' are frankly chilling on occasion (...)

I will never ever forget the episode about stealing land from natives then Pinkie Pie doing a song and dance number about "sharing and caring". That has got to be one of the most messed up messages the show ever produced. That was early in when Lauren Faust was still on. I'll never let that one go :P

I don't know if it's the same one, but the one where they smash the griffins' precious statue and lecture them on being friends with each other, then decide friendship is better than some traditional treasure...creeps me out. Colonialism 101.

I just want Pinkie Pie gone. At this point everything about her annoys me. Her shade of pink. Her stupid name which was never funny or clever in G3 (what is a pinkie pie anyway? I so asked that in 2003, before deciding NOT to buy her). The fact she's the most annoying animated character in a long while just adds to the sensation. I don't think she's really that random, either. She tries to be, and tries to be funny. Which makes her neither random nor funny. It's forced and it doesn't fly. And Hasbro are obsessed with her. But judging by stores here, kids in my area aren;t.

Slightly OT but I was in Entertainer in Wimbledon yesterday. I swear, I almost took a photo of the stock shelf just to illustrate how dead this franchise is in these parts.

On the top shelf were dolls (Lemon Zest I think) from the Friendship Games release.
A little further down, a shelf with scattered ponies on card. Including pearlies wave 1. Coloratura included.
Some minis. All from a pretty early set from about three years ago.
Lots of movie stuff.
Cheese Sandwich GOH which has never sold. Ever.
And Pinkie Sea Pie in her silly water whatever it is set.
End stocklist.

...And that's in LONDON. Says everything, doesn't it.

The franchise needs to start over. I don't think that a lukewarm reboot will actually work, to be honest. I'm morally opposed to it, but I also see it pragmatically as the death of MLP because FIM has been SO successful, but now it's squeezed dry. And if you try and ride on the coattails of the success of FIM and don't change everything, you get the bored people who have moved on not caring, and the kids not really getting on board because it's not new and other things are now more important to them.

Monster High attempted this. It failed hugely. MH has bombed pathetically out of existence as a result. I would rather see MLP take a break, reinvent itself entirely (even if it's into something I don't like) and then start over, if we're to have another generation. If MLP reboots in a lukewarm kind of way, it risks killing the overall franchise forever, by trapping it into a concept that's already run dry.

G1, G2, G3 and G4 were all different enough to spark their own toy line. OK, G2 failed in the US, but it didn't fail in Europe, so it still had something going for it. And it was different. G5 needs to do that too. Hasbro need to remember they can sell franchise rights all they like, but they are a TOY company. And if they are going to produce TOYS that will sell for nine years or so, it has to start with something new, brilliant and that kids are going to go for - not a rehash of the same stuff still sitting on the shelf in Wimbledon three years later.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2019, 01:13:04 PM »
FiM hasn't even been successful since 2014 and the end of Season 4.  If you look at the ratings, it's been in freefall ever since.  The movie was supposed to do $60M in North America and $100M globally.  The actual numbers were $21M and $60M respectively.  And don't throw that $6.5M budget number at me.  That's how much they're willing to admit they spent.  All those big names, buying completely new technology that as of yet seems to be only have been used on this movie, and year in development hell screams a lot of hidden costs.  Especially when they released those forecast numbers.  And all this wouldn't mean much for previous generations that did not depend on their media that much, but it's fatal to Friendship is Magic which has depended on it media.

I've seen the hodgepodge of pony stuff in the toy isle.  I haven't taken a close look, but I wouldn't be all surprised if it was like when Taffeta describes.

I've said this so many times.  This has Transformers Generation 2 written all over it.  These characters will not capture the attention of people who weren't interested to begin with and the changes will alienate the people already here.  This business plan has already failed Hasbro and I don't know why they're trying it again 30 years later.

As for the two events you're thinking of, they are different episodes.  The buffalo one was first season and the griffin one was from season five.  However, how friendship has mutated in this show is terrifying.  And there are plenty of other sins throughout its run.

And they do focus on the most annoying characters.  I know Twilight, Pinkie, and Rainbow are the most dominant personalities, but they're also the most obnoxious.

Sadly, I think they meta episode we got last year where the characters essentially plugged their ears and yelled "nah, nah, nah" in the face of critics illustrates how this staff views criticism of their work.  Their you know what doesn't stink as far as they're concerned.  So everything we're worried about will likely come to pass because they think it's good and cannot be convinced otherwise.  The only that will convince them is Hasbro saying "No".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal