collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

How does G4 do in your area? How is the stock?

G4s are very popular here and we always have the newest releases!
2 (3.2%)
G4s sell well here and things are updated often.
6 (9.5%)
G4s use to sell well here, but things have slowed down.
40 (63.5%)
G4s are shelf warmers! Rarity, Capper, and Cheese Sandwich will survive the apocalypse!
14 (22.2%)
Other?
1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: In Your Opinion, How Successful Was G4 During Its Run?  (Read 8122 times)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: In Your Opinion, How Successful Was G4 During Its Run?
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2019, 09:32:35 AM »
If I look back and think about it, I don't feel that G4 did that well in my region because the TV channel that was licensed to show FiM, it is an expensive cable channel.  Lots of kids don't have access.  And the toys were just thrown into girl's hands because they needed a girl's toyline on the shelves.  There are a million other things for girls to choose from and Hasbro went with a very specific marketing plan that has been a failure in some ways and a great success in others.  Girls are interested in other things besides babydoll play, animal care, and fashion dolls these days. 

Right now everyone is fighting for market space in MULTIMEDIA.... Disney now owns Star Wars and Mickey and Marvel. Mattel's sales are down 27% from last year, so they are ramping up the TV animation.  Hasbro Studios is pushing these MLP movies with a re-alignment to G5, etc.   MLP just might not be a long-term IP that they can have success with, unless they find a way to appeal to all its fans without being hyperfocused on a Y7 animated TV series.  we talk about how with G1, many of us didn't have access to the TV show as kids, we just played with our ponies. 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2019, 10:05:03 AM »
That's true, I was barely aware the TV show existed as a kid.  I watched it maybe once (and remember--you couldn't see a complete story in one episode, you'd just see 15 minutes of one, lol.)

I feel like they do kind of need the TV show (or webisodes or some media) now though.  Because toys follow fads and right now the fads are:

- tiny things (usually food) with cute faces!  Like Shopkins.
- surprise blind bag dolls!  Not just small cheap blind bags but the expensive ones like Hairdorables, L.O.L. Surprise, etc.
- things that are blind bags BUT ALSO covered in goo!  (. . . okay.)

Missing from that list:  ponies.  And I don't think it's as easy as "if you make a quality pony toy OF COURSE kids will love it."  I mean, I believe if you give a child a quality pony toy as a gift they'll be happy.  But if the CHILD gets to pick, there is no guarantee they'll pick a pony over a Shopkin.  There are even Shopkins ponies, so if the kid already loves Shopkins, why wouldn't they pick the toy that has a Shopkin AND a pony in the box?

Being a legacy toy helps MLP because parents recognize it and feel nostalgic about it. But it also hurts them because ponies as a concept are not "new", and I don't think you can really get that level of hype going without being new.  So to deal with this, Hasbro created a TV show to make kids fall in love with the characters, and then they wanted toys of the characters.  I would love to see the quality of the MLP toys improved, but I'm not sure quality is enough.  I think they really do need some form of media to survive in a competitive toy market filled with tiny plastic groceries with faces.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 10:07:37 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2019, 11:17:08 AM »
That's a good point. I forgot that in the US FIM airs on a specialty kids also that not all kids have access to. I got lucky that the channel package that includes Discovery Family had another channel that my family was wiling to pay extra for.

I also agree that bling bag/blind box toys are really popular in the toy aisles as well as Nom Noms and Shopkins.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2019, 05:07:06 PM »
FiM was also available through netflix and dvd though. So families who can't pay for cable, still had more affordable access to the show-- just not "as it aired", which isn't really a big deal.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2019, 04:56:53 AM »
FiM was also available through netflix and dvd though. So families who can't pay for cable, still had more affordable access to the show-- just not "as it aired", which isn't really a big deal.

In the UK pretty much all G1 access to the animation was also via vhs, and I don't think it had an impact. And aren't there some early pony releases with DVDs? That said I think that with G4 being so dependent on the show probably did mean that kind of thing mattered. Didn't G4/doesn't G4 also have some web related presence? I seem to remember the very first episodes had quite good online streaming? Or something of that nature.

Over here I think FIM aired on tinypop which is a channel available on freeview (I had it at my old London apartment) but not available on the online tv streaming network. It's also available on cable and digital, satellite etc, and some series of it are on netflix as well. I think it probably is accessible, but maybe the issue is you need to have an interest first to go to the bother of finding it in these places, rather than just stumbling across it randomly.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2019, 07:03:34 AM »
IIRC FiM started off airing in the UK on Boomerang, but they only aired the first season? And then it vanished for a while until Tiny Pop picked it up. I think. I don't watch the show so that's just what I've gathered happened.

Ragamuffin, that image.. wow. I mean, I knew there were a lot of main 6 releases, but I never realized quite how many before. O_O It really puts it into perspective.

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2019, 08:08:17 PM »
I went to rite aid today and they only had 2 ponies: toilet sparkle with the clip-on cape and rainbow power Fluttershy (yeah the one from forever ago). I got fluttershy but her hair is AWFUL. Who's idea was it to give a pony fully tinsel sections in her mane? It's kinda ok now that I braided it but MAN is that stuff bad  >_<

Anyway mlp moves off the shelves in my area kinda ok if it's not overpriced. Also mildly ugly ponies like mural DJ-PON3 took a million years to sell out. There might still be some at shopko.
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2019, 08:14:10 PM »
Things seem to stock better the closer you get to the Twin Cities IMO. I'm thinking it did alright here, but to be honest I'm not sure anybody really cares so much for the toys this time around. I just don't see what would keep kids interested. I already know why we aren't.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline allymer

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • get cape, wear cape, fly
    • View Profile
    • https://www.google.co.il/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjj4NzFs6rYAhUCLFAKHRkWDhYQFggoMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.yooying.com%2Fjonathanvk9930&usg=AOvVaw1VEWvdcAw59g5B1Zytl7Yj
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2019, 03:23:42 AM »
i kinda like it. i've been collecting for most of my life and they had more selections of peg/uni - sea ponies... lame attempt at breezies and more diversity than G2/G3 and for the first time in 30 years we got a cinema movie and BOYS ponies so i guess in my opinion this generation played out kinda good and fair - i had many exciting moment as a collector with this generation and not to forget the TV show- the Cartoon was great funny and went on long.

im always happy with Hasbro , as long as the keep making ponies im here to enjoy it.

check me out on instagram "jonathanvkmlp" come say hey :)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2019, 04:02:54 AM »
I went to rite aid today and they only had 2 ponies: toilet sparkle with the clip-on cape and rainbow power Fluttershy (yeah the one from forever ago).

TOILET Sparkle?  :snicker:

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2019, 09:22:30 AM »
It sounds like everyone else has had better luck?

My area still has the Pearlies, hairbows, and ribbon sets. We are pretty behind, and nobody is moving off the shelf.

We still have pearly ones at dollar genral, and my wall mart pony section is tiny and nothing ever moves.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2019, 12:07:39 PM »
I went to rite aid today and they only had 2 ponies: toilet sparkle with the clip-on cape and rainbow power Fluttershy (yeah the one from forever ago).

:lol:

Best way to make the smallest room shine.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2019, 12:12:52 PM »
Toilet Sparkle. :snicker:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2019, 05:42:59 PM »

OK I have to know which version of Twilight got that nickname (aside from the book/movie franchise).

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2019, 08:41:12 PM »

OK I have to know which version of Twilight got that nickname (aside from the book/movie franchise).

In case it helps I was taking about this one

Also I decided to look up toilet sparkle (just to see if i really am all that original) and I found this: https://www.deviantart.com/hawkstone/art/Toilet-Sparkle-410002632

not disappointed
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal