collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Green base Waterfall and Kiss Curl's Parlour distribution question...  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
So I'm being a geek again, gomen nasai *bows*.

This is partly sparked by LAW's thread about playsets and also the discussion in the retro thread, but I'm wondering about releases of these two things.

Firstly, green-base Waterfall. As far as I understand it, this was made in the UK and a UK release, but did any other country have it on import? I am aware France had a white base, so I wonder about other European countries?

Also, did any other country have a Waterfall release with Cascade (whether as an import of the UK one or otherwise)?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

^^ A release like this one.

Or if not, a release like this one instead? ^^

Same question for the Kiss Curl parlour. Where was Kiss Curl actually sold other than the UK? Did your country have the Brush me Beautiful Boutique instead?

^^ like this release.

If Kiss Curl was available where you are, is she more often made in Hong Kong, China, both?

I know the answers for the US and Canada releases of these sets, and the UK as well of course, but other countries are a bit more vague, so would love input :D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 09:13:21 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
Re: Green base Waterfall and Kiss Curl's Parlour distribution question...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 09:49:23 AM »
Same question for the Kiss Curl parlour. Where was Kiss Curl actually sold other than the UK? Did your country have the Brush me Beautiful Boutique instead?

^^ like this release.

If Kiss Curl was available where you are, is she more often made in Hong Kong, China, both?

I know the answers for the US and Canada releases of these sets, and the UK as well of course, but other countries are a bit more vague, so would love input :D

Finally something I am useful for. :P Kisscurl and her parlour were definitely sold here in The Netherlands, she was my first pony. I got her for my birthday in 1991, which is in January so I guess 1990/1991 would be the time she was sold here. I still have Kisscurl, plus another one from the fleamarket, I could dig them up and check their hooves if you like!

EDIT: I'm not sure about the type of parlour, I always figured it was the Brush me Beautiful Boutique because it's purple, but I'm not sure if there are different versions of the purple one?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 09:51:20 AM by Broken Irishwoman »

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 10:02:48 AM »
I think the only difference in the actual playset is the label on the back. The one I have with Kiss Curl says Grooming Parlour on it, whereas the ones I've seen from the US say something else. I am assuming yours would be translated (although the Netherlands stuff is sometimes in English language packaging so maybe not?) I'd love to know what was written on the label on the back of your parlour anyway xD. And also what is on KC's hooves as well if you have a chance :D

^^ back of my parlour.

I had heard a rumour she was available in France. Your evidence makes it seem more likely she was a bit more pan-Europe :D

KC was still on sale in the UK in 1990-1 as well. I have catalogue information that indicates that was the last year she was available in the UK. We had her from around 1988 till 1991, and there's HK, China and the reverse symbol variations all found here. Which is kind of why I'm curious about other places to see if I can fit those into a timeline based on other places of release. (I am guessing HK should be the first release but who knows...)

Thank you <3
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 11:55:19 AM »
I see! I wish I remembered what was on the back of my parlour, but sadly I don't. I'm fairly sure that either way it was in English, because indeed, apart from backcards and such (where it was often paired with French) most things were in English. The back of the blue Pretty Parlour is definitely in English; I have it right here. Maybe there are still pieces of the purple parlour in my mother's attic, but I'd have to check. Yes, pieces... I was horrible with my toys. :blush: Maybe other Dutch people (still) have a parlour?

Anyway, I did find both Kisscurls! :D Turns out that one is from Hong Kong, and the other one is from China. The China Kisscurl is my childhood one, so I can confirm that she was definitely bought in a toy store here. The other one is a fleamarket find, so technically she could be bought elsewhere. Also, Germany is two minutes from here, so she could be from Germany too. Not very likely though.

The China one also appears to be smaller! However, she's sticky, so maybe she just shrunk. :P

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 02:56:24 AM »
Well, here's a picture of the purple beauty salon from a 1990 German pony catalogue that I have: http://imgur.com/a/5gtmcp0
It was called Schönheitssalon (beauty salon) and I have read elsewhere that Kisscurl's name was Rotschöpfchen (little redhead). I found some pictures showing the salon in more detail: https://picclick.de/Mein-kleines-My-Little-Pony-G1-Grooming-Parlor-163483455441.html (not my pictures, obvs)

In Spain, it was sold in 1988 under the name Pony Boutique, but I think did not always include Kisscurl. https://en.todocoleccion.net/modern-spanish-dolls/mi-pequeno-pony-boutique-1988-mb-espana~x30872163 (again, not my pictures).

Hope that helps a bit :).

(If there's more you want to know about ponies available in Germany in 1989/1990, 1991 and 1992, I have catalogue/leaflets for those years that I can photograph if you want.)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 04:08:00 AM by Shaz »

Offline Perikoala

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 06:09:30 AM »
In Spain, it was sold in 1988 under the name Pony Boutique, but I think did not always include Kisscurl. https://en.todocoleccion.net/modern-spanish-dolls/mi-pequeno-pony-boutique-1988-mb-espana~x30872163 (again, not my pictures).

Indeed, the boutique was sold in Spain but not Kisscurl. The box says "pony not included"  :wail:

The Waterfall was never released in any of its versions.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 03:27:13 PM by Perikoala »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 09:00:32 AM »
This is all really interesting as re Kiss Curl. I have some other language inserts and it just occurred to me that maybe KC is on the Dutch one I have, but they're not here with me in London at the moment to check.

Spain missed out! That sucks. @Perikoala, was Kiss Curl pictured on your box or was it Twisty Tail?

Ironically some of the KC parlours were made in Spain...;)

@Shaz - the means of German promotion using Strawberry Fair in the main German image (ie, the one with the tag) suggests to me that KC wasn't sold over there officially but it may be that she was in a different/earlier year. The closed parlour image doesn't have to be original to Germany, since there are repeated images across European releases at this time. I guess more information is needed...

Thus far it's Netherlands, yes. France, fairly sure yes. Germany, maybe. Spain, no - for Kiss Curl. And yes to the parlour in all above places even without a pony.

Waterfall anyone?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 12:12:00 PM »
Oh, I also found this Italian advert while Googling foreign ponies: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cri-cri/26293523689/in/photostream

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 01:17:28 PM »
Oh, I also found this Italian advert while Googling foreign ponies: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cri-cri/26293523689/in/photostream

Ah. So probably we can say "Italy, yes" as well. Italy is quite unique with its range anyway, so that doesn't surprise me.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Perikoala

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 03:26:15 PM »

Spain missed out! That sucks. @Perikoala, was Kiss Curl pictured on your box or was it Twisty Tail?

Ironically some of the KC parlours were made in Spain...;)

That's the worst part! At least they could have included a pony, like they did with Lemon Drop  >_<

The box we got here was the one showing the Brush n Grow ponies, yup. But the ads showed Kisscurl in all catalogues though (Hasbro/MB and stores alike).

Spoiler

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 01:02:53 PM »
Interesting read! :)
(I like your questions, Taffeta :P Its the kind of stuff I think about too, hehehe).

Well, I cant contribute anything big but : I found my Grooming Parlor with Kisscurl on a german fleamarket. Found Snowball while later on another fleamarket. So I think it might have been sold here maybe. But ive never met another kid owning it back then!

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 01:29:02 PM »
I dont think we had any version of the waterfalls here in sweden. They rarely come up for sale here, and I dont hink I have seen any advertisments for it.  We did have Sprinkles on card instead though, wich is quite odd. That is one of my ultimate grails to get :P
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal